broken_doll
Zarroette

Dance Is A Sport

Zarroette
Started: 3/28/2015 Category: Sports

broken_doll

Pro

I think that dance is a sport because it requires what any other sports have. Dance is a sport and an art, but many people do not think that it is a sport. A sport is defined as:
"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
Does dance require physical exertion?
Yes.
Can a dancer be individual or in a team?
Yes.
Do dancers compete against another or others for entertainment?
Yes.
Dance is a sport.
Zarroette

Con

Thank you, broken_doll, for instigating this debate.

Negative Case

A1: Dance only *can* be a sport

There is semantic problems with the resolution, in that it pertains to an absolute. Let me explain. Dance, according to Google's dictionary, is defined as:

"a series of steps and movements that match the speed and rhythm of a piece of music" [1]

Whilst it is possible to define dance in slightly alternative ways, this fair definition does not have the inherent qualifier of competition (and even if you disagree with it being fair, I show later how some forms of dance do not have the competition aspect), which brings me to my negation of the resolution: dance *can* be a sport if there is a competition aspect, BUT there is not *always* a competition aspect, hence dance is not always a sport. You will find that my opponent's definition of what a sport is requires the components of:

1) Involving physical exertion
2) Skill
3) Individual or team competes against another or others
4) For entertainment

Number three is the issue, because dance can occur WITHOUT competition. An example of this is a theatre production involving dance, like the Bangarra Dance Theatre which perform Aboriginal pieces. Clearly, there is no competition aspect of which was highlighted as required by my opponent in order for an activity to be considered a sport, hence dance is not a sport, in this instance.

Dance most certainly can be a sport, but it is not always, hence the resolution of "Dance is a sport" cannot be fulfilled.

Reference

[1] https://www.google.com.au...
[2] http://norpa.org.au...
broken_doll

Pro

Why is dance a sport?

This debate may require the definition of sport.
(www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&es_sm=93&q=sport+definition&oq=sport+definition) Sport (noun): "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
I truly understand the reference to the word can. When I started this debate, I was referring to competitive dance specifically. Hopefully that will help this debate continue! The question shall now be rephrased:

Why is competitive dance a sport?

(www.definition-of.com/competitive+dance): "(Noun) a sport in which competitors perform dances of different genres, based on requirements of a competition"

There are two ways to prove this:
1. Competitive dance is described as "A sport" in the definition, proving it is a sport
2. The definitions can prove each other (i.e. "Competitive dance" and "Sport" will prove each other)

Definitions:
Sport: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
Competitive dance: "a sport in which competitors perform dances of different genres, based on requirements of a competition"

1. Sport: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill": Competitive Dance: "A sport" Do sports require physical exertion and skill? Yes.
2. Sport: "which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment": Competitive dance: "competitors perform dances of different genres, based on requirements of a competition" The "sport" definition says it must be competitive. The competitive dance (though right in the name) definition says that the performers/dancers are competitiors, who perform based on requirements of competition.

Does competitive dance require physical exertion? Yes.
Is competitive dance competitive? Yes.

Competitive dance requires physical exertion and is competitive, therefore proving that it is a sport.
Zarroette

Con

My opponent, perhaps upon realising that the resolution has been negated beyond repair, has decided to unfairly change the resolution from: "Dance is a sport" to "Competitive Dance is a sport". This is extremely unfair and atrocious conduct, as it essentially cheats the opposition out of the original resolution, and obviously gives my opponent a huge advantage, given that my contention revolved around dance not being defined specifically as competitive dance (the latter definiton was NOT specified in the debate construction).

Also, in the case that you do not agree that my opponent's conduct is dreadful, what my opponent has done is also a logical fallacy called Moving the Goalposts [1]. How this occurred was that my opponent changed the metaphorical goalpost from proving that "dance is a sport", to the easier to prove "competitive dance is a sport".

So, on the grounds of atrocious conduct in changing the resolution mid-debate, and the illogical aspect of such a change, you should completely disregard everything my opponent argued this round.

Please extend my original arguments and completely ignore my opponent's off-topic attempt at an alternative resolution defence.

Reference

[1] http://www.logicallyfallacious.com...
broken_doll

Pro

My opponent points out that my debate was unfair. I did not mean to offend them, and if they would like my arguments to be ignored, theirs are also useless and shall be ignored.

The reason my debate does not say competitive dance" is because when somebody says dance, competitive dance comes to mind. Not everybody is so specific. The debate was not changed in my aspect, as my argument has been referring to dance as competitive dance since the beginning, If my opponent would not like to participate in this debate, that is their decision.
Zarroette

Con

Regardless of what my opponent thought she was referring to, the debate parameters were set to debate "Dance is a sport", not "Competitive Dance is a sport". There was no explicit debate rule or definition which set "sport" to mean "competitive sport". Therefore, my opponent has attempted to change the resolution mid-debate.

Seeing that my opponent has tried to debate a different resolution, my arguments negating have been left wholly uncontested, and thus the resolution stands negated.

Thank you, broken_doll for the debate, and thank you to anyone who took the time to read this debate =)
Posted by jowett 1 year ago
jowett
Zarroette I'd prefer not to do this publicly. I know that what other people think of you means a lot to you. Friend and then pm me and I'd love to explain it to you as many times as it takes to get you to understand it.
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
What on Earth did you just write?

Look, is it possible that my argument could make sense WITHOUT me even knowing what I am talking about? Let's start there.
Posted by jowett 1 year ago
jowett
Did you not read my reply? Zarroette, it's ok not to be perfect. Did you know that? Stop fighting your heart, and let it guide you, into hitting that friendship request button. I can teach you so much.
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Did you not read my post explaining why the comment was Ad Hominem?
Posted by jowett 1 year ago
jowett
Zarroette, my little kangaroo, why would you want me to tell you a lie that not even you would believe. I have morals, Zarroette.
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Please admit that you were wrong about the Ad Hominem accusation. Then I will consider friendship.
Posted by jowett 1 year ago
jowett
...so we can be friends???

(Sorry my last post I accidentally signed into my stupid brother's account.)
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Apology accepted =)
Posted by striatedgs 1 year ago
striatedgs
oh ****
Posted by striatedgs 1 year ago
striatedgs
Zarroette I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. Please give me a second chance. This has all been one big misunderstanding. I'm in reality a very sensitive individual and your coldness is just more than I can bear. I'll make you a deal. I promise never to say a bad word against you ever again, if you prove to me that deep down you're not the person that you've been acting like, and you send me a friend request. That would prove to me that this whole world is not just one big Zarroette, or the Zarroette that I thought you were. Please, I know that deep, deep down you still have a heart, and it's telling you it's right.
Vote Placed by dexterbeagle 1 year ago
dexterbeagle
broken_dollZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: I will explain the points: Con demonstrated that Pro changed the framework of the debate halfway in. Also, Con provided decent references available with a hyperlink and listed at the bottom.
Vote Placed by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
broken_dollZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro played semantics and never defined what "dance" was, leaving it open for interpretation. Since Pro did not specify "competitive dance", Con grabbed hold of the resolution and proved that not all dance is a sport. Then Pro attempts to fix her mistake by changing goalposts, but this just proves to be bad conduct. Thus, Con wins the conduct point and the argument points for successfully negating the resolution given. Con also provides the only sources, so she wins those points as well.