Dancer4life101
HomelySherlock

Dance Is A Sport

Started: 4/30/2015 Category: Sports

Dancer4life101

Pro

Dance is a sport because it competes against competition and we work as a team. Even football players have used dance to improve their game. It requires hard work, determination and it deserves to be a sport. I don't think that you can go around saying that dance isn't a sport without even trying it. How about someone who has never danced before goes and takes a professional ballet class and then tell us if that was easy. I know a lot of people think that dance is a sport just like gymnastics and we need to get that a fact, not an opinion. So instead of saying that dance isn't a sport, look up the definition of a sport, then try and tell me that it isn't a sport. GO DANCE!!!
HomelySherlock

Con

It can be argued that it is not accurate to consider dance a sport because:

1. Dance is more of a creative art form than competitive. Even dance a the professional level is rarely competitive.

2. Conventional sports such as Basketball and Soccer have simple, non-subjective winning criteria. Dance has no such criteria that are not affected by opinion.

3. To extend the definition of "sport" to include dance would make it nearly meaningless - Writing, reading, and turning on the TV would then have to be considered sports.

4. Definitions are descriptive, not prescriptive. A definition should be decided by the people, not what an online dictionary states - otherwise, new words would literally be impossible to create, as they must be known to be in the dictionary and to be knows they would have to be generally recognizable. To prescribe definitions such that a dictionary itself decides them and is the final say is to stop the evolution of language. Therefore, dictionary definitions should be irrelevant to any debate regarding the meaning of a word and should rather be the generally known connotation of the word.
Dancer4life101

Pro

Okay, you say that you don't compete in dance. Well I dare you to look up dance competitions and tell me that you didn't find any. Agility, balance, determination, flexibility, and strength helped us to grow and develop into physically and mentally strong athletes. We have hard work, determination, and have a passion for dance. It fits the definition of a sport, so why shouldn't it be a sport? Dance requires its participants to practice and train as a team. After spending hours each week rehearsing and training, the team"s leader decides which competitions the team will compete in. Also, there is a difference between turning on the tv, and dancing. You should go try a dance class and tell me that it was super easy. Oh yeah, you couldn't.
HomelySherlock

Con

I didn't say dance competitions are impossible or unheard of. However, dance competitions are not the general "idea" of dance - by that logic, looking at things would be a sport because people have staring competitions. I gave you several reasons why it doesn't fit the definition of a sport. However, you refuted one, and then insisted that it still is? Look at all my arguments for round one. You can't say you're right until you refute all of them.
As an aside, you clearly copy-pasted "Agility, balance, determination, flexibility, and strength helped us to grow and develop into physically and mentally strong athletes. We have hard work, determination, and have a passion for dance." Don't even try to pretend you didn't.
Dancer4life101

Pro

Dancer4life101 forfeited this round.
HomelySherlock

Con

Good debate.
Posted by nashaline 1 year ago
nashaline
I can completely agree that dance is a sport. Although it may not be known as a sport to many individuals or may be as popular, I think that it is a sport because many people dedicate their life to dance. Just like baseball or football and other sports, dance has enough importance to be considered as a career choice to receive scholarships. I think that it is just as equal as any sport because it takes dedication, time, and effort, most importantly practice and training. Just like schools have teams for many sports, many colleges and universities focus on dance and sometimes offer majors to focus in the dance subject. Just like a football team has games and a volleyball team has matches, there are many dance teams established to compete all over the world. Cheerleading is similar to dancing and is considered a sport. Dancing is also beneficial to the human boy"s health. This would be beneficial just like any other sport.
Posted by xastridraeburnx 1 year ago
xastridraeburnx
Con, what you mean by number 3 is unclear.