Ca1777
Titans14

Dance is a Sport

Started: 12/22/2012 Category: Sports

Ca1777

Pro

Clearly you are not a Dancer and know nothing about Competitive dancing, So first you try to say that there is no rules to dance. Definitely a false statement if you go on any dance competition website you can see what the judges judge on and many pages of rules, like every flex toe is 5 points off and if you forget your dance you have 100 points taken off and so on there is like ten or more pages of these if you actually look. Also you tried to say that you don't need to practice we dancers spend 20 hours a week trying to make our dance perfect for competition or for a performance! We also have a personal trainer at my dance school who has trained some pro athletes and said we were just as fit as them.Thats why dance is totally a sport there no question about it
Titans14

Con

I think you misunderstood what I said I didn't say there was no rules in competitive dance I said in dance. They're are two different things. Dance is not a sport but competitive dance is. It's like being in the nutcracker is not a sport but being in the competition is. I understand that competitive dance has rules I knew that but in say the ballet the nutcracker you perform so there's no rules. And I did not say AT ALL that you don't need to practice you do what I said is that the dance stays like same while in say hockey the plays change because someone on the other team changes that. No one changes you're dance that you compete against. You misunderstood what I meant. Competitive dance is a sport but dance is not. There's a difference in between the two and the question was is DANCE a sport. That's why my answer is what it is.
Ca1777

Pro

Ca1777 forfeited this round.
Titans14

Con

Once again I would like to point out the competitive dance and dance are two different things its like comparing the Harlem Globetrotters and basketball. One puts on a show and the other fits the definition of a sport. Let me make this VERY clear, so you can't mistake what I'm saying or get offended over something I did not say, when I talk about dance I am NOT referring to competitive dance only dance.

The definition of sport is:Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and engages in competition.

So dance does not fit that definition at all (I'm once again not talking about competitive dance). It does not have rules and there's no competition.

I'll explain more about what I talked about last time dice it wasn't very clear. So some people have compared plays to routines in dance. Routines stay the same all the time no one changes them in the middle of your performance (I'm not saying you don't have to practice I didn't say anything like that). In say soccer you practice plays but when it come to the game you have head to head competition. Two teams competing at once instead of one in the competitive dance. The other team changes what you do in say soccer. You have a play planned out but when it comes down to it the they change. The person challenges you quicker then you planned or the player you want to pass to us covered. So dance and say soccer don't require the same on the go thinking .
Ca1777

Pro

Oh Ok, I totally agree! I thought you were talking about dance in general, that would be including competitive dance. But I agree just performing dancing would be an art and competitive Dance is a sport!
Titans14

Con

No, of course not! I was just referring to the performing part not the competitive. People can say what they wish about how it not a sport but it fits the definition. And people have their opinions on what makes a sport better than the other it's an opinion not a fact. I'm leaving my opinion out of this. You guys can assume if I like dance or don't but I don't believe in arguing about. An opinion can't be wrong only a statement can. The statement here is Dance is a sport. Which is wrong but if the question was is competitive dance a sport than the answer would be yes of course! It fits the definition! Therefore it is. But that is not the question therefore no. I'm glad we're on the same page!
Ca1777

Pro

Ok Great were on the same page!
Titans14

Con

I'm going to stop entering these things. There's no debate here if we're on the same page.