dancerxx2
KeytarHero

Dance is a sport.

KeytarHero
Started: 5/28/2011 Category: Sports

dancerxx2

Pro

In this debate, I will be defending dance as a sport. Dance is 100% a sport. Although dance is also an art, that does that eliminate the fact that it is a sport. Dancers work just as hard, if not harder, than other athletes. All things that athletes need, agility, balance, endurance, stength, and flexibilty, dancers have. Professional dancers work everyday for hours, like a basketball or football player. Dancing is a beautiful art and sport.
KeytarHero

Con

Thank you to the Instigator, Dancer, for issuing this challenge.

As I only have 1,000 characters to work with, that severely limits my eloquence in this subject.

The burden of proof rests on Dancer to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that dancing is a sport, in the same way that football, baseball, tennis, and even bowling are all sports. As the Contender, it will be my burden to cast doubt on the Instigator's arguments.

"Dancers work just as hard, if not harder, than other athletes."

Many people work just as hard, if not harder, than athletes. Musicians must practice at least an hour to five or six hours a day at their craft. If they're marching musicians, then they're also engaged in a very physical activity.

"All things that athletes need, agility, balance, endurance, stength, and flexibilty, dancers have."

Construction workers also require these things. Should construction work also be considered a sport?

I look forward to the Instigator's response.
dancerxx2

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for entering this debate.

My opponents argument is that there are other things that people do that take practice and/or physical labor, but never does he say why dance isn't a sport.

Sport - an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature; does this not apply to dance?

The Contender points out that construction workers require what I said is needed to be an athlete. Usually, if you think about a sport, you think about practicing that sport until perfection. You do not need to practice being a construction worker. I agree that musicians must practice a lot, but the type of practice is different, but I am assuming some would say that the marching band is a sport.

Since the Contender didn't give any support to why dance isn't a sport, only what else fits my critique of a sport, I would like the voters to vote Pro.
KeytarHero

Con

Again, I thank the Instigator for this challenge. Due to limitation of space, I'll get right to it.

"...but never does he say why dance isn't a sport."

That's not my job here. You have burden of proof, my job is simply to cast doubt on your proof.

Since, this is the last round, it's not really the time to define what a sport is. You compared dancing to football and basketball in the opening round. Those sports are clearly games. There is a ball that you pass around a field/court, you score points and then a winner is determined based on who scored the most points. This is not how dance recitals are done.

Construction workers need to work at their craft, too, and they need to practice with dangerous equipment before going full-time with it so they don't receive serious injuries on the job. They go through training just like dancers and musicians.

I believe I have adequately shown why dancing is not a sport by casting doubt on her assertions. Thank you for your time.
Posted by panini 2 years ago
panini
Dance is most definitely not a sport. I have been a competitive dancer since I was 6 and my teacher has always told me that dance is not a sport because of the emotion thats in it. If you were to just dance a routine that was just technique and have a blank expression on your face then yes dance would be a sport.
In sports, the objective is to win, to make the audience feel artificial connection to the players that they'll never meet, tossing a toy back and forth to accomplish a mindless objective. Dance on the other hand has nothing to do with winning. Dance exists to heighten emotion. Competitions and awards exist to urge dancers to be the best they can be and the winner of a dance competition is just the most prepared person who had practiced the most.
In sports winning is the endgame. Players win so they can win so they can win so people can congratulate each other for sitting in front of a TV, cheering on athletes who are paid vast amounts of money to provide meaningless entertainment. Dance never has an endgame. You can always improve and practice more and put more emotion and passion into it.
Posted by TD29 3 years ago
TD29
By sociological definition, dance is a sport in the right definition(competition that has a eventual winner and loser.)
Posted by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
I didn't notice that only 1,000 characters were allowed. That's going to severely limit my responses.
Posted by dancerxx2 3 years ago
dancerxx2
Yes, thank you for accepting.
Posted by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
I accept your challenge. Since there are only two rounds, I'm guessing I should come out with my arguments in the first round.
Vote Placed by Yorble 3 years ago
Yorble
dancerxx2KeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pinning the Burden of Proof n the contender
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
dancerxx2KeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Definitions should have been presented from the getgo. By presenting definitions in the last round, that costs the conduct, and by choosing an unsourced, and extremely vague definition (to try to ensure a victory), I have no real choice but to dismiss it.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 3 years ago
quarterexchange
dancerxx2KeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Instigator tried to shift the BoP onto the Contender
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
dancerxx2KeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Weak win, but win for Dancerxx2,though a definition would have helped earlier. KeytarHero needed to contest the definition or show how dance did not satisfy it.