KawaiiDespair
PaulCabal

Dance is harder than Football and most other sports

Started: 7/9/2015 Category: Arts

KawaiiDespair

Pro

A lot of people argue weather dance is harder than football and other sports. I believe it is, but why do you think football/other l is harder?
PaulCabal

Con

Firstly dance is subjective, it is an art form. It's primarily a form of expression. So looking at it from the aspect of what does it take to be a good dancer vs being a good footballer it is more difficult to be a good footballer. I for example don't like ballet, but I might like watching simple 90s rave dancing, so therefore I would judge simple easy movements to be better than complex athletic movements of ballet.
There maybe an overweight guy dancing in the street and me and my friends love the way he dances, and we all agree he's a good dancer, so therefore subjectively that guy is a good dancer.
Football on the other hand isn't subjective, it doesn't matter what style the footballer used, how good the footballer looked, what the audience watching football think, the only thing that matters is that the footballer either scores goals, helps scoring goals, or defends against goals being scored against him. It doesn't matter if me and my friends watch an overweight unathletic football player and we all love the way he moves and agree he is good, he isn't good unless he performs well defending, scoring or setting up goals.
For he same reasons of objectivity and art value it's also easier to be a professional dancer than a professional football player. A professional dancer may just get a job being a pro dancer for being good looking and having a nice looking body, a footballer on the other hand is purely relying on performance.
Additionally to this football worldwide is more popular than dance, therefore the competition to be good is more fierce.
And I think if you add up the amount of people who earn money dancing it will be more people than earn money playing any one individual sport.

It's mainly the fact that good dancing is subjective that makes dancing easier, I could do a dance now, film it and upload it to youtube and tomorrow it might be the biggest dance craze ever and according to millions of people it's the best dance ever, even if it's not that difficult to do. Now that would be a total fluke and involve no real difficult skill.
Football on the other hand is different, a footballer might get one or two lucky goals, but continually playing against difficult opponents and scoring goals is the only way to be one of the best football players.

Your argument was very vague so I've tried to look at it from a multifaceted perspective.
Which is it easiest to earn money doing and to become a professional at.
Which is it easiest to be good at.
Which has definite pre established goals and requirements.
KawaiiDespair

Pro

Quite a lot of what you said proves my point. For starters, the overweight guy dancing you may see as him being a good dancer, but just because you think that he looks good dancing does not mean that it was easy for him to become as good as you thought he was. But since we don't know the guy, we can not tell for sure.
You said that football is only based on if you score if he is good at defending, scoring, and setting up goals. Whilst with dancing (let's say that it's ballet to make it simpler), it is also based on how you perform, but it's more intense. In football, you can make any face you want, but it doesn't matter because your face is covered by a helmet. You can be as big as you want as long as you are strong enough and can make the goals, etc. You're protected by guards so if you fall the chances of you getting hurt is a lot less likely.
With ballet (and all other kinds of dance) you have to always have a facial expression, no matter what you are dancing. Without even having a facial expression, you won't make it as a professional, and that's the easiest part. In ballet, you have to have a very specific body type. This includes high arches, a flexible torso, small head, small bust, slim hips, small ankles, long arms and legs. That's only for a female professional ballet dancer. And as a dancer, you are never protected. If you fall and hurt yourself, ex. your pointe shoe breaks and you break your ankle(which is actually very possible) your career is practically over. Or if you just simply fall and hurt your back.
It is not easy to be "good" at dancing. It requires years of training, like football. (Unless you are just naturally flexible, having good technique, ability to perform, etc. But that is highly unlikely.) Even though the world of football is so much bigger then the world of dance, the requirements of becoming a professional ballet dancer is still the exact same of what it would take if the world of dance was bigger. You still have to have the correct technique and body and facials, etc.
PaulCabal

Con

First off I'd like to point out that I'm English, so when I talk about football I mean soccer, which has relatively little protection apart from shin pads.

None of what you say really establishes any concrete facts about dancing or other sports.

You will never be able to prove as fact that dancing is harder than other sports because it's all relative.

In a situation where someone has to dance ontop of a metal spike while wearing a weighted vest, dancing would be more difficult.

In a situation where a man with no legs has to oppose a team of professional football (soccer) players in a game of soccer, the game of soccer will be more difficult.

So it makes no difference to the argument if you say these specific dancers have to have these specific requirements and their facial expression matters. Because some professional dancers have to wear masks, and not every type of dancing is ballet dancing.

Any sport can reach a level of difficult that reaches a difficulty level of impossible and so can any dance.

The same can be said about having a body type suited for sport or suited for dance. If you ask someone with a small head, small skeletal structure frame and a metabolism that burns calories fast if it's easy to have a body that's good for dance they will say yes, because they were born that way. On the other hand someone who was born like the elephant man with head deformities will find it difficult/impossible to have a small head and a good body for dancing.

This is no different than football, if you observe sports science and see how specific the body types are, for example how fast and agile Christiano Ronaldo is, ontop of that as I said previously the competition to be a professional football (soccer) player is much more fierce, so not only do they have to have the body type but they have to be able to competitively beat other people at the same game with the same body type. Not all dancing is competitive, and not all dancing included objective goals and is overall a subjective artform.

So therefore how "hard" something is, is relative. And it is incorrect to say dancing is harder than football and other sports.
KawaiiDespair

Pro

KawaiiDespair forfeited this round.
PaulCabal

Con

There's nothing much left to say that I didn't say in the previous round. What is difficult is subjective and dependant on circumstances.
KawaiiDespair

Pro

KawaiiDespair forfeited this round.
PaulCabal

Con

PaulCabal forfeited this round.
KawaiiDespair

Pro

KawaiiDespair forfeited this round.