EmzDances
TheWonginator

"Dance is not always competitive"

Started: 10/10/2013 Category: Sports

EmzDances

Con

I just read one of your responses to a debate of whether or not dance is a sport and you voted "no" under the criteria that dance is not always competitive. While I realize you said it can be, you ultimate answer appeared to read that generally speaking it was not competitive, therefore you do not consider dance to be a sport. I see how you would think that, however, I believe you are wrong. While most people think of "competition"to be against another person or team, competition can, and is often against yourself. We are our own worst critics and most people tend to beat their "high scores" so to speak. It is human nature to want to beat not only other people by ourselves as well. Therefore, speaking solely on on your issue of competitiveness in dance, dance is indeed a sport do to the constant competition with oneself as well as the possibility of competition against others.
TheWonginator

Pro

I see what you are trying to say. But generally speaking, every activity is competitive. For example, if you are stretching, you always want to be able to stretch a little bit more. You are trying to "beat" yourself to see if you can stretch a little bit more than the last time. Using the same theory as you said, would you count stretching a sport? Also, another reason dance is not a sport is that in dance, you try to look good, or perform. It's an art. Trust me, I dance competitively too. But do you think in soccer or volleyball we care about how we look? Not really. We care about winning and doing anything to win. Secondly, in dance, there is no real way to stop the other team from winning. All you can do is just do your best and LOOK better than the opponent. Thirdly, if you dance on a team, you can't really help each other out. For example, if one person is off beat, you can't help them because there isn't anything you can do unless you go and tell them in the middle of the dance, but that would cause you to lose points.
EmzDances

Con

I would not consider stretching to be a sport, because there are other criteria other than just competition for something to be a sport. How can you really help other players in any other sport though? To a point you could say you can like volley ball you can try to dive and get the ball if someone misses or on a football team and the receiver doesn't catch the ball, you can't go catch it for him it's not your job. You have to rely on the other players to do their job.
TheWonginator

Pro

Okay like volleyball... if someone hits it out, you can try to get it and hit it back in. That's helping them. In baseball, if a player tries to catch a ball and the miss, you can catch it for them. There is a lot more but it would take forever to explain. Also, in sports, you already know what you are going to do because you have a routine. In all sports, you don't even know if you are going to get a point! Yes, in dance you don't really know the outcome of the competition, but you at least know what moves you are going to do. But for example, in soccer, if a you have the ball and someone is coming at you, you have no idea of what trick you plan to do or how they are going to challenge you. In conclusion. in a sport, you play based on how others play. In dance, you already know what you are going to do.
EmzDances

Con

Football players have specific plays they have to run. Yes, it can change slightly to avoid being tackled, but they still have to run the play they're given. The play they're running is like our routines.
TheWonginator

Pro

Yes but the whole thing could change slightly because you're not given what the other team might do. You might plan to throw it long but the other team could just plan to sack. In dance, there is no other opponent that can change your play.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
I can't figure out what the resolution is. If the resolution is the title, then Pro obviously wins. But it seems to be about something more complicated.

I'll point out that ice dancing is an official Olympic sport, which marks one opinion.

Also, competitive ballroom dancing is quite popular both in the US and internationally, and it includes professionals who make their living at it. At the competitive level it is quite athletic. So I'd say sometimes dancing is a sport and other times it isn't. I doubt that helps the debate.