TheSIgmaGamer
Duncan

Dark Souls is a revolutionary game

Duncan
Started: 7/13/2014 Category: Games

TheSIgmaGamer

Pro

This is my first time, so lets start with a bang.
I recently played this work of art. It changed the way I think about games and changed the way I play. After beating it I realised how much of a masterpiece the game was. I lost a lot and I had many fits of rage, but this caused me to make better choices and learn how to adapt. It played beautifully and the graphics were great but that means nothing. This game is on par with Skyrim, the essential God of RPGs. It takes what worked with Skyrim, adds fun online capabilities, and revolutionised the Gaming industry. Besides, it beat Skyrim BEFORE it existed!
Duncan

Con

Welcome to Debate Dot Org my friend. I would like to start off by stating that I do love Dark Souls and have finished it three times now. However, I don't agree that it is a revolutionary game, nor an entire masterpiece.
The difficulty requires thought in places, but you soon learn the proper strategy for every boss and level. Choices narrowed down to finding one good sword and using it until a better one was found. (Drake sword-Giant halberd-black knight sword for me)The online capabilities are a mixed bag, summons not working but invaders being common. Besides, Skyrim isn't the God of RPGs, as it is based on the merits of its ancestor Morrowind, which is claimed by many as the definitive rpg. The character limit has stopped me. See you.
TheSIgmaGamer

Pro

Touche, sir shark. While my statement of Skyrim may be wrong, I love that game. It took up my time a lot! Anyway, I still believe that your statements are wrong. While it may boil down to getting a sword, you simply cannot win with a dull stragety. Like the bed of chaos, you have to think on the spot. Navigating areas like the Crystal caves are exciting, and teaches to take risks! Can you say that you have not taken a lesson from the frequent shifts in stragety?
Duncan

Con

We both love Skyrim and Dark Souls. But surely you must be aware the Bed of Chaos requires a walkthrough to beat. They gave it a health bar when it dies in three hits, and it becomes a trial and error run, extremely painful if you're not a chaos member. The crystal caves were not a memorable spot for me. The developers left a freaking hint message for you, so it wasn't exactly hard to uncover the invisible crystals under the snowflakes. If I had to reference Skyrim, it's the "Just my imagination" stealth issue for a lot of enemies, with one clear plan, usually to stand out of their aggro range with a longbow. Once you realise the easy way to fight a tough enemy, doing it any other way feels like self punishment. See you next round.

Duncan.
TheSIgmaGamer

Pro

You fight well. To conclude, i just want to pose a question. Do you really believe nothing is to be gained from this game? I take the question as it is. To me. It revolutionised gaming. The skills I developed and the way I look at things - without guides - will change the way I play forever.
Duncan

Con

T'was a good debate. I gained a lot from this game, but I still do not think it is revolutionary. To explain why, I want to pose a question of my own; Have you ever heard of Demon Souls? It's the spiritual predecessor of the Dark Souls franchise, and is nearly identical in systems. Revolutionary implies dramatic change, so it's like saying Dark Souls 2 was revolutionary as well. I love Dark Souls, hell, I'm making the Armor of Artorias as we speak for Comic Con, but I still can't overlook its shortcomings. It's a great game, just not a revolutionary one. I enjoyed this debate, and if you have any other Souls related debtaes, do not hesitate to summon me.

Praise the Sun!
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
TheSIgmaGamerDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proved revolutionaryness impossible b/c Dark Demons
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
TheSIgmaGamerDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: absolutely no sources were used but Duncan still proved that the game was quite difficult--the Crystal Cave argument was quite good.