Dark Souls vs. a game of your choice

Started: 1/7/2014 Category: Games

First round is acceptance. Debate a 13 year old please?

I have many games.

NBA 2K14

Devil may cry 4

Beyond two souls

Heavy Rain!

Oh Bring it on! You chose the wrong gamer!

Thank you for challenging me!

Hmmm okay. Well, as far as commerical success, Dark Souls was a breakout hit. It sold 1.9 million units in North America and Europe. This was surprising, considering that From Software is quite the niche company, and the fact that a hardcore JRPG is sol popular among westerners proves its' success.

The graphics, quite honestly can be very impressive, and very faulty. In areas like Royal Wood, the graphics are fantasic, with great lighting. In areas like Blighttown, the graphics may look dark, but the framerate takes a massive hit.

In enviroment, there is no denying that dark souls excels in many areas. The areas are rich and detailed, and it is quite refreshing to see a snowy mountaintop and a swamp, a church and a magma filled wasteland.

In gameplay... ah, here we go. The game is known for fantasic, difficult gameplay. The gameplay features weapons with their own distinct moveset. The combat breaks from traditional RPGs, because instead of a 1 button basic attack and a group of special abilities, their is normal comboes, combined with strong attacks that really seperate the weapons from each other.

Thank you for debating. I will now accept new arguments and rebuttals.

Catherine was originally released in Japan, but because of it's increased popularity, Atlas decided they wanted the game released in the U.S.A. In the summer of 2011, Catherine was released! (1) Atlas sold 200,000 copies in the first week! (2)
Catherine is a deep game, that walks you through a man named Vincent hardest decision. Does he marry his long time girlfriend, or does he go with a blond he just woke up next to! In Catherine, your choices do matter! Your choices effect Vincent's thoughts, actions, and your overall ending! (3) In the game, you are brought to a puzzle based hell, where you have to scale a tower of blocks! While this may sound easy, it keeps getting tougher and tougher! Your choices are represented on a bar. After you complete a puzzle, you will be asked a question. The way you respond determines which way the bar will lean. (4) Overall, Catherine's diversity and overall uniqueness is better than dark souls.

The problem with your arguments is that they are mostly opinion based. Not to mention, 200,000 copies doesn't hold a candle to 1.9 million. Catherine ended up selling about 500,000 copies by the end of 2011, while Dark Souls sold about 900,500 by the end of 2011. This is funny, considering Catherine came out many months before Dark Souls. Catherine came in late July, Dark Souls came out in mid October.

A major issue with your arguments is that you aren't even telling me pros and cons. You're telling me about the gameplay and expecting me to go "wow! What a great game!"

I await further arguments and rebuttals.

Pros for Catherine:

It is not only a choice game, but also a puzzle game! You need to earn your way through the game!
Your choices matter! It determines who lives and dies, and your ending!
High replay value!
Many save points!
It is both anime and regular graphics!
Voice acting is fantastic!
Many different endings! Here are all of the endings!

These are just some of the pro's of Catherine

Well, maybe rage quit if you put the difficulty too high.

Those are the pro's and cons of Catherine. Thank you for reading.

Again, a lot of your arguments stem from opinion.

"It is both anime and regular graphics!"

Please define 'regular'.

"Voice acting is fantastic!"

Again, it's an opinion. Now if you gave me reviews or other peoples opinions, that would be okay.

"High replay value!"

An opinion.

And yet, you still haven't argued against Dark Souls.

The reviews on Catherine range from fantastic to downright awful, but average scores are in the 7 or 8 range. Metcritic says that Catherine gets a 79/100 on PS3. Dark Souls reviews, however, are fantastic. I haven't seen an official score under 9. If you don't believe me, check Dark Souls wikipedia page. Metacritic gave it an 89/100. GameSpot gave it a 9.5 out of 10. The great scores go on.

I look forward to rebuttals. No new arguments may be added.

Cooldudebro forfeited this round.
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
Damn it I forgot about this debate! :(
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
Posted by Capitalism194 2 years ago
Ok, give me a couple days though. I have no time right now.
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
no. but I know games. Trust me. Those are my top 3
Posted by Capitalism194 2 years ago
Have you played it and gotten to anor londo?
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
look, I am going to post three games for people with different taste

1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K14
3. Beyond two souls
Posted by Capitalism194 2 years ago
Have you played dark souls? And gotten to at least Anor Londo? ANd please pick a game.
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
yup. I have 3 games that are better than dark souls.
Posted by Capitalism194 2 years ago
Thanks for debating! First though, do you know what dark souls is? And also, please pick a game.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was a given for that first round, during which con refused to name a game (allowing pro to tailor his argument in favor of his selected game), but seemed to think he could name every game he likes. ARGUMENT: This would have actually been tied due to the highly subjective nature, however when it was brought to con's attention that he had not made a single case against Dark Souls, he forfeited instead of defending his case.