Data is more human the Spock

Started: 10/28/2013 Category: Movies

Data is more human then Spock because he actually wants to be human, whereas Spock is ashamed of his human side.

I gladly accept this debate.

This debate can either be really stupid or rather philosophical.

Stupid: Data is 0% biological human. He is an android. No human whatsoever. Spock, on the other hand, is 50% biological human. As basic math goes, 50% is more than 0%. Therefore, Spock is more human.

Smart: Is this debate about which is more human-like? If so, I believe that you could make a rather sufficient argument.

Either way, more of an argument is needed than the one sentence provided.

I'm going to smart way.
Of course, technically Spock is physically more human then Data, but while Spock is ashamed of his human side, Data believes human emotions to be the thing most desired, and while he will never be physically human I think at heart he is more human then Spock.

Ok, I believe that I understand now.

While Data wishes to be human, and desires human emotions, he does not have those. Spock, on the other hand, has emotions and feelings (though he doesn't care to admit it haha). Either way, Data does not have the capabilities to be human, while Spock has the full capabilities to be human.

Thank you

Data was created by humans to be as human as they could make him, he has the curiosity that people do, wishes to be human, and tries to the best of his ability to be so. Spock on the other hand refuses to accept his human side, he tries to ignore his feeling, and let me also remind you that Vulcans have the most intense emotions so they aren't solely a human thing.
To me, the only time Spock shows his human side is when he loses control of his emotions. Data, on the other hand, is always trying to improve himself, and take the best things about people and and integrate them into his life.

My opponent says "as human as they could make him", implying that he is not fully human. By saying "as human as they could make him" is admitting that he is not human. And my opponent says that he has the curiosity and wishes to be human, but If I have the curiousity that a cat does in a lazer pointer, and I want to be a cat, that does not make me a cat.

While Spock refuses to accept his human side, saying that he refuses to accept it still means that he has it. Even if he tries to ignore it does not make it go away. The government ignores the national debt, but it sure as hell is still there. Ignorance and refusal to accept does not make it any less true.

Therefore, I firmly believe that Spock is more human than Data.

Thank you. I am glad to have participated in this debate. Vote for CHEESEDINGO!
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago

Really? Are you really finding fault that someone happened to choose to debate something you don't particularly care about? Why even ask that? Are only weighty topics allowed to be debated?
Posted by abeoma 2 years ago
Why does this even matter?
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Pro's initial argument seemed to make sense, and Con was gracious enough to avoid going for the "cheap win". Pro missed some major arguments, such as ignoring (for the cheap direction) that, while Data is not genetically human, he is fashioned to LOOK like a human, while Spock is only HALF human in appearance. The biggest one that Pro did not use, though, was that Data does not have the beginning. Eventually, he gets an emotion chip. So the "no emotions/humanity" argument Con used SHOULD have been a failure (at least potentially), but since Pro didn't bring it up, I can't score based on it. Con noted how Pro defeated himself when he talked about Spock being ashamed of his humanity, pointing out that his very shame indicates that he HAS it.

No sourcing, and both conduct and S&G seemed fine to me (though I give kudos to Con for his gracious dropping of the "cheap" win).

As always, I'm happy to clarify anything in this RFD.
Posted by Gordontrek 2 years ago
Clarify what you mean exactly by "more human."
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.