RNG
manutdredseal46

David Beckham did a good thing when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

Started: 12/6/2008 Category: Sports

RNG

Pro

I will let the neg start
manutdredseal46

Con

>I would like to thank my respected opponent, RNG, for starting this debate.

>I will start with some definitions:

Good: of high quality; excellent

Thing: an action, deed, event, or performance

>The stipulation of the resolution "David Beckham did a good thing when he came to the U.S. to play soccer" is unclear. For this reason I will separate it into three separate parts. Whichever side (PRO or CON) wins more of these three should win this debate:

1. David Beckham did a good thing FOR SOCCER when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

2. David Beckham did a good thing FOR FANS when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

3. David Beckham did a good thing FOR HIMSELF when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

I hope that my opponent will agree with this much. I will now commence in explaining each.

*1. David Beckham did a good thing FOR SOCCER when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

>David Beckham did not do anything substantial for soccer by playing it in the United States. Soccer is and always has been a European sport. The United States soccer has always been both inferior and pathetic in comparison to the same sport in England, Spain, Italy, Germany, and France. Beckham was renowned as an icon during his playing days for Manchester United and Real Madrid. He made a move from being an iconic representation of the sport to being just another player for the LA Galaxy. In this he weakened and ultimately did nothing good for soccer, he simply relocated. This was not "an action of high quality."

*2. David Beckham did a good thing FOR FANS when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

>This is undoubtedly the most one-sided point in my entire argument. According to http://www.prnewswire.co.uk... Manchester United and Real Madrid, the last clubs Beckham had played at, are first and fourth in the world respectively in terms of fan base. By leaving to play for the LA Galaxy Beckham certainly disappointed more fans than he "did a good thing" for.

*3. David Beckham did a good thing FOR HIMSELF when he came to the U.S. to play soccer

>As previously stated, when Beckham came to the US to play soccer he lost his iconic status. He also lost potential earnings. This can be deduced from simple math:

According to http://www.independent.co.uk... Beckham's salary at Real Madrid was �17million.

According to http://articles.latimes.com... Beckham's current salary is $5.5million.

The current ration of pounds to dollars (http://www.google.com...) is approximately 1 Pound to 1.4817 US Dollars. Due to this, the following simple math is:

$5,500,000/1.4817 = �3,711,952.49 (http://www.google.com...)

�3,711,952.49/�17,000,000 = 0.218350146% (http://www.google.com...)

This means that Beckham's salary is currently about 21.84% of what it was at Real Madrid. This cannot in any way be classified as a "good thing" for Beckham.

>There you have it. All three possibilities go CON. I eagerly await my opponent's response.
RNG

Pro

RNG forfeited this round.
manutdredseal46

Con

>I regret that my opponent has forfeited R2. According to his profile, he was online 1 day ago, so clearly he could have responded (3 day window). For this reason, he drops my entire argument. Ergo all arguments obviously extended.
RNG

Pro

i refuse to do this debate with him because his picture shows the manchester united seal and clearly he likes the team. So any argument he makes he will make it with a bias decision so i refuse to debate this with him
manutdredseal46

Con

>I thank RNG for his response.

>RNG's last round consisted of:

"i refuse to do this debate with him because his picture shows the manchester united seal and clearly he likes the team. So any argument he makes he will make it with a bias decision so i refuse to debate this with him."

His statements make no sense. Granted, I am a Manchester United fan and a proud one at that. This does not make my arguments in any way invalid. First, my opponent has DROPPED ALL OF MY ARGUMENTS, so saying that I am biased is actually invalid from him given the drop. Next, all information which I gave was based upon fact. I provided six IRREFUTABLE SOURCES in addition to reasons for all of my conclusions. Additionally, David Beckham went from REAL MADRID to the LA Galaxy. Just because Beckham played for the Red Devils (Manchester United) at one point in his career does not mean that I have any bias towards him. Lastly, my opponent should have put a warning like the following on his debate:

<>

Since he did not do this, his argument is even less valid.

>I thank my opponent for his one response and I thank you, reader, for reading this. I urge a vote for CON. Thank you.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Ha, ha, ha! Nailed it ManUtd...etc, you won the debate, no doubt. However, I personally agree with your opponent - soccer needs players of Beckham's stature to raise the profile of the game in the US.
Posted by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
You are an idiot RNG. You are just scared cause you know you can't win after that monstrous first round. Goodjob Man U, You got my vote.
Also Beckham is a good soccer player but he is really overrated.
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
RNGmanutdredseal46Tied
Vote Placed by karththegeld 8 years ago
karththegeld
RNGmanutdredseal46Tied