joshuaXlawyer
Clash

Death Penalty = Wrong? or Right?

Clash

joshuaXlawyer

Con

First round for acceptance, however, if con wants to post first that is fine.
Clash

Pro

I accept. As Pro, I will argue that the death penalty is right. Con didn't give a definition of "Right", but we can assume that "Right" means being in accordance with what is good, proper, fair, and just. As for the word "Wrong", we can say that it means being in accordance with what is bad, unfair, and unjust. With that said, I'm looking forward to a nice and fruitful debate.

I now turn it over to Con for his arguments.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Clash

Pro

In what follows now, I will give one argument in order to prove my case that the death penalty is right. Although it isn't necessary to give any arguments seeing that my opponent probably will not engage in this debate, I will do it anyways. I don't of course want the readers to be disappointed. ;)

The Right to Life

"Any undeserved evil which you do to someone else among the people is an evil done to yourself. If you rob someone, you rob yourself; if you slander someone, you slander yourself; if you strike someone, you strike yourself; and if you kill someone, you kill yourself.[1]" - Immanuel Kant

A murderer has, in the minute he kills an innocent human being, taken away his own fundamental human right to life. Thus, a murderer doesn't deserve to live and cannot expect the government to protect him. Indeed, it is not right or fair to protect a murderer and to let him live when that same murderer has unjustly and with cold blood killed an innocent human being and taken away that person's fundamental human right to life. Our right to life is connected with our duty to respect the right of others to life, and by violating the right of another to life, you thereby forfeit your right to life.

Imagine if you, like Steven Judy, had raped and murdered a helpless woman and then drowned her four small children. What punishment do you think would be fitting for you? Would you not agree that you forfeited your own right to life? Would you not agree that you deserved nothing less than death? I surely would. Jeffrey H. Reiman correctly writes,

"If the murderer is rational, then the death penalty should normally force upon him recognition of his equality with his victim, recognition of their shared vulner ability to suffering and their shared desire to avoid it, as well as recognition of the fact that he counts for no more than his victim in the eyes of justice and fairness." [2]

In conclusion, the death penalty is right because it brings justice over the victim and gives a murderer what he/she deserves. Indeed, the only thing which isn't right is to protect a murderer and to let him/her live while that same murderer has unjustly and with cold blood killed an innocent human being. This all comes down to what is right, fair, and just; and as I have clearly showed above, giving a murderer the death penalty is what is right, fair, and just.

[1] Louis P. Pojman and Jeffrey H. Reiman, The Death Penalty: For and Against, page 1.

[2] Jeffrey H. Reiman (Author), Marshall Cohen (Author), Joshua Cohen (Author), John Simmons (Author), A. John Simmons (Editor), and Charles R. Beitz (Editor), Punishment: A "Philosophy and Public Affairs" Reader, page 284.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Clash

Pro

Vote Pro.
Vote Placed by Ahmed.M 4 years ago
Ahmed.M
joshuaXlawyerClashTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
joshuaXlawyerClashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con