raddestguns01
DebateClub666

Death Penalty should be done away with

DebateClub666

raddestguns01

Pro

My opponent (Whoever chooses to accept) and I will be debating about whether or not the death penalty should be done away with. I am in favor that it should be. My opponent, whoever it will be, will not be.

Anyone who wishes to debate me on this topic must follow these set of guidelines:

• You must follow common guidelines, such as plagiarism.
  • A few jokes in between are acceptable, but other than that, take the debate seriously.
  • Both sides must share their BoP.
  • First round is for acceptance only.

Failure to do so will result in an automatic loss.

Note: Once you accept this debate, you must agree with all my set guidelines.

DebateClub666

Con

I accept this challenge. Let us begin.
raddestguns01

Pro

I look forward to a great debate! Good luck to my opponent!

The death penalty should be done away with because there is an alternative to that: Life in prison. Here are some of the costs if the alternative is not taken:

- "The study estimates that the average cost to Maryland taxpayers for reaching a single death sentence is $3 million - $1.9 million more than the cost of a non-death penalty case. (This includes investigation, trial, appeals, and incarceration costs.)"[1]

- "Once an inmate is executed, nothing can be done to make amends if a mistake has been made"[2]

However, if the alternative is taken, if an inmate is later on proven innocent, it can be; He can be released from prison.

Some of death penalty's advocates claim that it is a detterent to all crime. However, as recently stated by the General Assembly of the United Nations, "there is no conclusive evidence of the deterrent value of the death penalty."[3]

There not only is no conclusive evidence to its detterent value, but logically thinking, criminals know that their life is over. Thus, they just make the last of it and commit more crimes while they can.

Most of society support death penalty, yes. However, that does not instantly mean that the death penalty is effective. You have to logically think it yourself AND hear out the opposition.

The resolution is affirm. I await my opponent's arguments.

[1] http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

[2] http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org...

[3] http://www.icomdp.org...
DebateClub666

Con

Thank you for such a swift beginning. Now let me present my opinion on why the death penalty should not be abolished.

The death penalty has been the main form of capital punishment since the eighteenth century BC. It was used for the purpose of penalizing those who had committed such heinous crimes in their region that could not be allowed to let live. An example of one of those heinous crimes was in 1680. Captain George Kendall had been accused of being a spy for Spain, which was a bitter enemy of Great Britain at the time of the colonization of Jamestown. He was executed.

Source: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

Throughout the twentieth century (and also the end of the 19th century), the Supreme Court received several cases that tried arguing that the Death Penalty was unconstitutional. However, they were all turned down. The original argument stated that the Death Penalty was allowed under the Fifth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments. About 44 cases since 1879 have been brought to the Supreme Court determining the regulations and constitutionality of the Death Penalty. Let me give one as an example.

Tison v. Arizona (1987)
This case was an enhancement to a previous ruling done in Edmund v. Florida. Tison v. Arizona involved a defendant named Gary Tison, who was serving a life sentence for killing a prison guard. His three sons broke him out of prison, as well as his cellmate Randy Greenawalt. Following their escape, they soon went on a killing spree that involved several innocent civilians. When the whole gang was brought to court and tried, they were found guilty and were given the death penalty. When the case went to the Supreme Court, the court ruled that the death penalty is issued when the defendant(s) is(are) involved in a crime spree knowingly and shows little or no remorse for what he/she has done.

Source: http://www.casebriefs.com...

Now, let us use this case as an example. Say Gary Tison was given a life sentence and broken out again. Say you were out on a highway and stopped to help him (unknowingly, of course). Then he guns down you and your whole family, and this trip begins again. Would you rather have him executed for his actions or sentenced to life in prison, only to repeat what he'd done before.

I will await my opponent's response.
raddestguns01

Pro

I thank my opponent for presenting his arguments so thoroughly. I am definitely expecting a good one!

My opponent gives a scenario:

"This case was an enhancement to a previous ruling done in Edmund v. Florida. Tison v. Arizona involved a defendant named Gary Tison, who was serving a life sentence for killing a prison guard. His three sons broke him out of prison, as well as his cellmate Randy Greenawalt. Following their escape, they soon went on a killing spree that involved several innocent civilians. When the whole gang was brought to court and tried, they were found guilty and were given the death penalty. When the case went to the Supreme Court, the court ruled that the death penalty is issued when the defendant(s) is(are) involved in a crime spree knowingly and shows little or no remorse for what he/she has done."

He then goes on to say:

"Now, let us use this case as an example. Say Gary Tison was given a life sentence and broken out again. Say you were out on a highway and stopped to help him (unknowingly, of course). Then he guns down you and your whole family, and this trip begins again. Would you rather have him executed for his actions or sentenced to life in prison, only to repeat what he'd done before."

His point is that the death penalty takes away any chance for the criminal to repeat what he had done.

Indeed, it does. However, the frequency of criminals escaping from prison ranges from 1% to literally less than 5%[1]. Now, taking that in mind, the costs of the death penalty definitely outnumber the benefits.

I await my opponent's arguments.

[1] http://www.slate.com...
DebateClub666

Con

DebateClub666 forfeited this round.
raddestguns01

Pro

raddestguns01 forfeited this round.
DebateClub666

Con

Due to real-life problems, I was unable to post my response to the other argument. Here is my response to the case that Pro has presented.

He mentioned that "the frequency of criminals escaping from prison ranges from 1% to literally less than 5%"

Consider the following:

1) The number of escapees from prison may be 1%, but the fact that current populations detail that 1% would equal anywhere between 6,000 and 9,000 prisoners out of the 1 million total prisoners that are currently in the system makes a shocking fact.

2) In this year alone, six famous prisoners escaped from prison, several of those that were serving life sentences and one was even in solitary confinement.

On May 4, 2014, Michael Wheatley, 55, dubbed "The Skull Cracker" who was given 13 life sentences for a string of raids on banks and building societies, failed to return to HMP Standford Hill open prison on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, United Kingdom. He was arrested on May 7, 2014.
On June 8, 2014, Yves Denis Yvon Lamontagne, 35, Denis Lefebvre, 53, and Serge Pomerleau, 49, escaped from a Quebec Detention Center with help from a helicopter. The three men were arrested a couple weeks later and returned to the same facility from which they previously escaped.[14]
On September 11, 2014, T.J. Lane, 19, a remorseless killer serving three life sentences for indiscriminately killing fellow students at his Ohio high school in 2012, and Clifford E. Opperud, 45, escaped Allen Correctional Institution. Lane was apprehended about 5 hours after his escape while Opperud was captured about 8 hours after his escape. [15] [16]

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org...)

3) The death penalty has been known to save many lives throughout history. According to the Heritage Foundation, they made a notice that "a 2003 study by Emory University researchers of data from more than 3,000 counties from 1977 through 1996 found that each execution, on average, resulted in 18 fewer murders per county."

(Source: http://www.heritage.org...)

Now, before people begin to think I am going off-topic by denouncing life sentences, I am going to mention this: this topic has been debated over a hundred times over the course of the last hundred or more years. The death sentence may be wrong, but the death sentence has been given by courts for two reasons: to protect future possible murder victims and as a perfect judgement to those who crimes are so heinous that even under extreme duress and/or the presence of a mental injury, the crime is not justified.
raddestguns01

Pro

raddestguns01 forfeited this round.
DebateClub666

Con

DebateClub666 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
raddestguns01DebateClub666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FFed less.