Dagolas
Jzyehoshua

Death Penalty should be instated

Jzyehoshua
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Dagolas

Pro

In this debate we shall discuss weather the Death Penalty should be reinstated or not.

You may take the following definitions:

Death Penalty: A legal process wherein a person is put to death as a punishment for a crime.

I will be taking the position of Pro/For, and will debate why I think the Death Penalty SHOULD be instated, my opponent will discuss why it should not.

Thank you,
Dag
Jzyehoshua

Con

Even though not explicitly stated, I assume first round is for acceptance since Pro did not make an argument. Thus I leave it to Pro to begin so that I will not have the unfair advantage of an extra round.
Dagolas

Pro

Dagolas forfeited this round.
Jzyehoshua

Con

I argue that the death penalty should not be instated for the following reasons:

Innocent People on Death Row

Ultimately one innocent person on death row is unconscionable. If our justice system were at least putting the right people on Death Row that would be one thing, but the courts are out of hand, and acting with utter disregard for what is right. There have now been 149 innocent people put on Death Row, serving an average of 11 years each before exoneration, for a total of 1,639 years of Americans wrongly serving time on Death Row before being exonerated.[1] Judicial activism has become a serious problem, with judges no longer held accountable for their reckless disregard for the evidence or truth.[2]

While I personally think some crimes do merit the death penalty, until we can reform our courts so that corrupt judges and prosecutors are held accountable for their destruction of human life, and until we can be assured that no more innocent people will be put on Death Row, it makes no sense to me to keep implementing a system that is killing the wrong people.

Eye for an Eye?

There really should not be a Biblical basis for this either, because Jesus specifically forbade "eye for an eye" in the New Testament, and this was repeated by the Apostle Paul.

Matthew 5:38-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Romans 12:17-21 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Furthermore, Jesus actually addressed a case with the death penalty when the Pharisees wanted to stone a woman to death, and said the one without sin should cast the first stone. We cannot condemn others to death unless sinless ourselves.

John 8:3-7 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

To me all the evidence points toward hard labor being a better alternative to a death sentence. If our system were at least putting the right people on Death Row I could understand support for the death penalty better, but it is not. Therefore I argue that for the sake of justice we avoid putting a gun in the hands of corrupt officials that are not currently being held accountable.

[1] http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

[2] http://www.heritage.org...

Dagolas

Pro

Dagolas forfeited this round.
Jzyehoshua

Con

Arguments extended - we should not be killing others when our justice system is not killing the right people.
Dagolas

Pro

Dagolas forfeited this round.
Dagolas

Pro

Dagolas forfeited this round.
Jzyehoshua

Con

Strange, so many forfeits. Arguments extended.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
DagolasJzyehoshua
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture