choc1202
Chargers

Death Penalty

choc1202

Con

Should the Death Penalty be legal? In my opinion, no it should not. During the course of this debate I will show you why I believe the death penalty should not be an option for law enforcement.

First round is for acceptance.
Chargers

Pro

The death penalty should be kept legal.
choc1202

Con

I'd like to start off by thanking my opponent for accepting my debate.

Now onto the purpose of this debate. I would like to point out the fact that since 1973, there have been 144 death row exoneration's in the United States. In just 41 years that's 144 INNOCENT lives that have been taken by the injustices of the death row legal system.

"The most common causes of wrongful convictions are; eyewitness error, government misconduct, junk science, snitch testimony and false confessions"

I would also like to add that over 139 countries worldwide have abandoned capital punishment in law and in practice. By the United States continuing to practice capital punishment, I feel it is setting us back from the other countries who have denounced the practice.
Chargers

Pro

The death penalty has many more benefits to our society than harm that it could cause. Why should we, "the people", have to pay in order to keep these criminals that have gotten in such serious crimes in prison. It costs on average more than $14,000 a year to house just one inmate in 2012. Is this really worth the burden that it puts on the people who actually follow the law to put their hard earned dollars into paying taxes to keep these hard criminals in these jail cells where they are going to spend the rest of their life anyway? These executions don't need to be put through as much as they are today. If the prisoner is put to death right away after the verdict then it would cost much less than if we were to put the prisoner in prison for the rest of their life without the chance or parole. It also provides a way out for these prisoners. Let's face it, living in prison is no way to live. If they are going to be spending the rest of their life in that prison then why should these people not be put to death. The criminals that have received the death penalty will have just been given life in prison without the chance of parole so they are going to die in prison anyway. Why spend the money to keep them in prison if the end is going to be death either way? The criminals that receive the death penalty have clearly done enough for the judicial system to believe that they should no longer have the privilege of their life. If these people are willing to take the lives of innocent people that have done nothing wrong than they should be ready for the consequences that their actions have, which is the death penalty. Why give these criminals a chance to live rather than be sure that their actions will not have anymore harm to anyone else in our society that are innocent. Life is clearly not that important to these criminals if they are willing to take it away just like that so why should they be given a second chance on life if the people that they murdered never got that chance.

http://thelawdictionary.org...
choc1202

Con

choc1202 forfeited this round.
Chargers

Pro

Chargers forfeited this round.
choc1202

Con

choc1202 forfeited this round.
Chargers

Pro

Chargers forfeited this round.
Posted by IndianaFrank 2 years ago
IndianaFrank
Yes the death penalty needs to be keep intact. There are certain criminals that simply can not be rehabilitated and its becoming far too expensive to keep them.