DATXDUDE
WillRiley

Death Penalty

DATXDUDE

Pro

First round is acceptance.

All the other rounds are for rebuttals and arguments. Neither side can make any new arguments before addressing their opponents arguments. If they do, they lose conduct points.
WillRiley

Con

I accept this debate.
DATXDUDE

Pro

First and foremost I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and I would also like to thank the floor.

With that out of the way, I would like to list my definition of the death penalty.

"The punishment of execution, administered to someone legally convicted of a capital crime."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONTENTION 1: Rehabilitation isn't always possible.

There are some cases in which rehabilitating a criminal is an impossibility. One such case of this is a sociopathic criminal. However, we already know this fact. This being the case, a government has two options regarding how to deal with this type of prisoner. They can keep them in a maximum security prison for the rest of their lives, or they can give them the death penalty. Out of these two options, the death penalty is clearly the better one for the following reasons.

1. Possibility of escape.

Criminals can, and have, escaped from prison. The source below is just one example of this.

http://www.nbcchicago.com...

2. Danger to other prisoners.

A criminal such as a sociopathic criminal can, and does, present a danger to other prisoners.

CONTENTION 2: High prison population.

In the USA alone, over 2.3 million people are currently incarcerated. Not only does housing a dangerous prisoner cause potential harm for other prisoners and guards, but it also increases the already enormous prison population.

http://www.naacp.org...

CONTENTION 3: Closure for families.

Knowing that the person who murdered a loved one is dead provides closure to some families. It makes people feel good to know that someone who killed innocent people got what they deserved. The perpetrator of the crime being dead may not completely remove the sadness of losing a loved one, but it can help the process of grieving.

Back to Con. Good luck.
WillRiley

Con

I have several big problems with the death penalty.

A) What if the person turns out to be innocent? Now, this may seem like an unlikley scenario, however, that is not the case. According to Scientific American, researchers estimate that more than 340 U.S. inmates that could have been exonerated were sentenced to death since 1973. [1] That is 340 people wrongfully excecuted by the government, not to mention all of the executions before 1973.

B) The death penalty cost taxpayers an enormous ammount of money. For example-

Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not sought, according to a new study by the Kansas Judicial Council.

A new study of the cost of the death penalty in Colorado revealed that capital proceedings require six times more days in court and take much longer to resolve than life-without-parole (LWOP) cases.

The cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978.

New York State spent $170 million in 9 years, with no executions. [1]

And these are just a few states.

Rebuttal

1. Possibility of escape.

Escaping prison doesn't happen often enough for it to pose a suitable risk. Also, according to this ABC news article, prison escapes are on the decline. [2]

2. Danger to other prisoners.

Sociopathic prisoners could be placed in solitary confinement. Solitary was made just for cases such as this.

Killing people because of overpopulation is wrong for obvious reasons. Also, only thirty-nine prisoners were executed last year. This obviously does not pose a significant risk to prison overpopulation.

Personally, I would rather have that person rot in jail for the rest of their life than be killed. Also, if it turns out they did not commit the crime, which I have shown happens far too often, they can be released.

DATXDUDE

Pro

First of all, I would like the audience to note that my opponent has violated the rules of this debate. I specifically said that neither side of this debate can make any new arguments before addressing their opponents arguments, and that if they do, they will lose conduct points.

Nevertheless, I will refute Con's arguments.
Argument 1: The wrongly accused.

I would be naive to claim that innocent people haven't been sentenced to death. However, in more than forty years, three hundred and forty people wrongly executed is not a large number. This is assuming that my opponent is correct, because he did not cite his source. What article in Scientific American is my opponent referring to?

Argument 2: The death penalty is expensive.

My opponent didn't cite his sources here, either.

All of his supposed facts are just statements with no credibility.

Worse yet, at the end of his argument, he states that "these [California, Colorado, and New York] are just a few states."
This doesn't support his argument. On the contrary, the fact that my opponent only provides examples of the death penalty's impact on three states highlights my opponent's lack of research on this subject. This is assuming he did any research, because he did not cite any of his sources.

COUNTER REBUTTAL

1. Possibility of escape.

Prison escapes are just one example of how a dangerous criminal can impact society. This factor is only one reason why the death penalty should remain legal.

2. Sociopathic criminals.

Generally, prisoners have to do something while in prison to be in solitary confinement. Also, once they get out, they may repeat their behavior.

Killing a prisoner only because of a large population in a prison is obviously wrong. However, I see no reason why keeping a dangerous prisoner who has committed a horrible crime alive will harm anyone except for that prisoner. Why the government has to add a murderous sociopath to an already huge prison population is a mystery to me.

3.

There are ways for a victim to reduce a criminal's sentence, if that is what they want to do. The source below is an example of this.

http://pap.georgia.gov...

Back to Con.
WillRiley

Con

WillRiley forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Pro

DATXDUDE forfeited this round.
WillRiley

Con

WillRiley forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Pro

I guess I have convinced Con that the death penalty should remain legal.
WillRiley

Con

WillRiley forfeited this round.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Post your argument.