Miko
wiploc

Death Penalty

wiploc

Miko

Pro

(http://www.npr.org...)

I wanted to say that we have to clear our planet from them. Leal Garcia's execution was absolutely right decision. People like him mustn't live in our world.. He kidnapped and raped 16-year-old girl! I know what parents of this girl felt at that time and I think that they wished to revenge him for spoiled future of their daughter. This really important and right decision helped them to calm down for a little bit. In my point of view, this kind of crime is disgusting and terrible. It is really horrible that we can't catch some of these violators and execute them.
On the other hand, every year quantity of people, such as Leal Garcia, are increasing, but the places in jails and colonies are decreasing day by day. The question of their providing is forever, and I think that it is absolutely not beneficial to the government.
That is why I think that execution of these people is really important for our future! If you do not want this story with the girl has occurred in your family, vote for execution!
wiploc

Con

I have no philosophical/theoretical/moral objection to the death penalty. I'm not familiar with Leal Garcia, but I'm happy to assume for the sake of this argument that he's a bad person, that we'd be better off with him dead.

My objection to the death penalty is practical. I was a lawyer. I have seen much injustice in the courts. Routine injustice. Lying cops, lying prosecutors, lying judges. Ignorance of the law you wouldn't believe. I once had a judge reject a speedy trial argument on this ground: "We don't do Constitutional law in this court." I saw a county judge tell the state court of appeals that they didn't have jurisdiction over him. I saw a judge say that he has "general policy" of refusing to set bond. A friend saw a judge tell a defendant, "Now, don't you go crawling off to some higher court!"

Ask any lawyer you know: he'll tell you that he knows judges who, for lack of sense or judicial attitude, should not be judges.

Every trial is a coin flip. The only way I expect justice from the court system is on average. That is, a guilty person may be acquitted this time, but he'll probably be arrested again, and he may be convicted that time; an innocent person may be convicted this time, but, if he's really a law-abiding type, he may not ever get prosecuted again.

The court system is so unreliable that it shouldn't have the big gun. One study used DNA evidence to test the guilt of executed people. In _most_ of the cases it tested, the executed person was innocent. Irretrievably dead, but innocent. That's our court system at work, when it has the death penalty.

We don't need the death penalty for deterrence; life imprisonment probably works as well. We shouldn't use the death penalty.
Miko

Pro

Miko forfeited this round.
wiploc

Con

Not going to add much, since my opponent forfeited the round.

But here's a link to this relevant page:
Death Penalty kills the innocent as well as guilty.
DNA tests tell us half of all deathrow inmates are innocent. (sic.)
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com...

And here's a paragraph from there: "Frank Basil McFarland was executed for a rape/murder despite multiple inconsistencies in the state's case, altered evidence, purchased and coerced testimony, and suppressed evidence of guilt. After execcution, he was found innocent by DNA testing." (sic.)
Miko

Pro

Miko forfeited this round.
wiploc

Con

Pro has not attempted to refute my arguments.

Vote Con.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
um why did he forfeit.
Vote Placed by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
MikowiplocTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit.