Jlconservative
rocker935

Death Penalty

Jlconservative

Pro

The topic of this debate says it all basically, The death penalty is a warning, just like a lighthouse throwing its beams out to sea. We hear about shipwrecks, but we do not hear about the ships the lighthouse guides safely on their way. We do not have proof of the number of ships it saves, but we do not tear the lighthouse down.
rocker935

Con

When you look at America and the politicians, you happen to notice a bit of hypocrisy. You have these Neo-Conservative politicians that claim to be doing God's work. Well guess what, deciding who lives or dies IS god's work. God, or any other supreme being is the one that decides who lives or dies. I'm not a religious person, but its obvious that humans aren't capable of choosing who lives or dies. I have trouble understanding why murder is O.K. if you call it the "Death Penalty". And on top of that, once a person is killed, there is no going back. That means if there is new evidence later on, well, its too late. He/She is already dead.

Now, my opponent will most likely try to put you in the shoes of the victim's family. Well, you ask the family of any murder victim if the pain ever goes away. I can guarantee that it doesn't. The victim's family's pain will NEVER go away. Its sad but taking another man's life doesn't change anything.

Plus, if you ask me, the Death Penalty is the easy way out. If you are really looking to punish someone, a life in prison will do the trick.

So overall, humans aren't capable of choosing who lives or dies, the death penalty contradicts laws already in place, the victim's family's pain will never go away, and death is much easier than a life in prison.
Jlconservative

Pro

Thanks for choosing my subject I was getting bored for a while there,

First thing is first, "Well guess what, deciding who lives or dies IS god's work." apparently you do not understand the meaning of hypocrisy because by denying capital punishment YOU are the one deciding that he should live therefore the hypocrisy can go both ways.

Also you presume to much, "Now, my opponent will most likely try to put you in the shoes of the victim's family." I take this in a completely more selfish approach. Anyone who has witnessed or had to bare the lost of a loved one should not be the group deciding on a persons fate, in fact it should have nothing to do with this argument. Me being one who has had a 6 year old cousin killed by a man driving under cocaine would know, it is human instincts to want revenge and the revenge being death of course. However this punishment should not have anything to do with revenge, it should be about removing the pigs from society.

Allow me to explain, lets take an example of someone lets say Charles Manson, Mr. Manson was a leader of a cult, him and his peons are responsible for the slaughter of 7 victims with axes,knives,forks, and a pistol, in order to start a giant race war that would engulf the world so that they after the turmoil would become kings and queens of the earth. Now Charles Manson is still alive, still in prison. He is a complete lunatic, mass murderer, monster, and a complete waste of a being. Now explain to me why my tax money should go in order to keep this pig alive?? what good does it do to society to keep this monster locked up in jail? he has contributed nothing except death and pain for over one hundred people so why should we as citizens pay tax money to keep him alive?

Also the main issue with this "life imprisonment" is one word my friend parole more killers,rapists,molesters and been released from a "life imprisonment" on parole than I can count...well what about the victims? what about the people buried or scared for life because of these people? People complain that the U.S. is the most violent and society, do you know why? because there is no ultimate punishment, because there is nothing to hold these killings back, I study ancient and middle age history as a student the reason these societies were much safer and more secure than ours is because the wrong doers were punished...because government did the job is was suppose to do. When old sparky was plugged in the murder rates dropped, the rape rate dropped, the crime dropped and that is the fact that you must face.

Also, show me one example of a person executed who was later proven innocent. Show me ONE person and this "risk of innocents dying" might actually have some truth. The only innocence dying are the victims of pigs who will never face responsibility for what they have done.
rocker935

Con

rocker935 forfeited this round.
Jlconservative

Pro

Well my opponent has missed his turn....I believe I have made my point, although I do wish he had stayed
rocker935

Con

rocker935 forfeited this round.
Posted by wingnut2280 8 years ago
wingnut2280
but, I voted PRO. The forfeits force it.
Posted by wingnut2280 8 years ago
wingnut2280
PRO is REALLY fortunate that CON forfeited two rounds. If he would have responded cogently, I don't think I would have voted PRO. Based on the first round, CON wins the debate.
Vote Placed by cmmj1004 8 years ago
cmmj1004
Jlconservativerocker935Tied
Vote Placed by SchinkBR 8 years ago
SchinkBR
Jlconservativerocker935Tied
Vote Placed by Stev1231 8 years ago
Stev1231
Jlconservativerocker935Tied
Vote Placed by soundofgravity 8 years ago
soundofgravity
Jlconservativerocker935Tied