tyler42240
SeelTheMan

Death Penalty

SeelTheMan

tyler42240

Pro

I will be for the Death Penalty. Still kinda new to debating, but looking for a good argument! Good luck!
SeelTheMan

Con

I accept your challenge and obviously I will be arguing against the death penalty. You can start the arguments...
tyler42240

Pro

As the pro I believe in the Death Penalty.

As the old saying goes "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth".

cap�i�tal pun�ish�ment- The legally authorized killing of someone as punishment for a crime

Is it right to go out and kill someone because you have a bad day? Or just because you don't like that person? The answer should be no. In no way should it be morally right to kill another human being for no reason at all. But if that human takes an others life, then Capital Punishment should be the moral thing to do.

Tax payers are paying for the MURDER to stay in prison, paying for his food, his showers, and his time there. A well educated person would most certainly realize that his money isn't going to the right place. Maybe it should go more to the schools, or to the Army? Not keeping some murder in a prison giving him a place to stay for his wrongful actions. It sounds a lot better than staying on the street like some people are.

If you murder someone then you shouldn't be living off tax payers money in a prison with 3 square meals, and a roof over your head. You should also face death like you put upon the person that you killed.

Referring to the quote from earlier: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

Vote Tyler42240!
SeelTheMan

Con

Cost
In terms of the cost of a prisoner for life without parole, versus a death penalty prisoner you have to look at multiple factors. According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, it takes 10.60 years for a death penalty inmate to be executed. It also costs on average $90,000 more, per year to maintain a death row inmate. Adding together all the costs of lawyers, and other legal issues, a death row inmate can easily cost more than a lifelong inmate. By stopping the death penalty in the United States, it is estimated to save the government from $1-2 billion per year. With the massive debt we are in, it makes even more sense to stop the deth penalty.

Morals
Obviously it is wrong to kill someone elses life for no reason at all.
The government has a moral obligation to protect human life. In your point "an eye for an eye," does it make sense to need to make everything absolutely equal? In the Iraqi war, it is estimated for over 100,000 Iraqi civilians to have been killed. Using your philosophy doesn't that mean that we should kill 100,000 U.S. civilians or soldiers? Why do you need to kill another when someone has already been killed. "Two wrongs do not make a right."
Posted by Websterremembered 4 years ago
Websterremembered
not a very lengthy talk, seems a little inconclusive.
Posted by champ1976 4 years ago
champ1976
Take it from someone who served time in a maximum security state penetentiary. I shared walls with murderers, child molesters, thieves, and rapists. What I did to deserve this kind of treatment was deprive a person their automobile for a period of less than 12 hours (felony theft). Is that fair? While in prison I met men who had been raped and I met men who raped other men. There were fights and even murders happening inside the prison. If I were asked whether I wanted to go to prison or whether I wanted the death penalty for a crime punishable with a life sentence, I would pick death. Prison is the most degrading hell hole on the planet. I was beaten by gaurds and intimidated by gangs. And the funny thing is that even though those occurances took place, I could be considered to have had it easy and to be someone who held his own. I was never taken advantage of by other inmates. I was placed in the hole for fighting, and suffered the degrees of insanity that come from absolute isolation. Prison is the most severe punishment a man can ever undergo beyond torture. So, if punishment is paramount in a case then prison is the perfect sanction. The death penalty, on the other hand, is just an act of beating nature to the punch. That is, causing someone to die earlier than they would have. And such an early death would relieve that person from the miserable conditions experienced in a place of isolation, where insanity and brutality flourish.
Posted by tyler42240 4 years ago
tyler42240
Sorry it was very poor argument. I am still new to this, and trying to learn! Thanks for the debate though!
Posted by SeelTheMan 4 years ago
SeelTheMan
I am actually pro-death penalty. But it makes it interesting to argue for the other side.
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 4 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did effectively rebut Pro's arguments, and showed how his argument would dramatically lower cost.
Vote Placed by baggins 4 years ago
baggins
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: I would have liked to see the debate develop a bit more. Pro's argument from cost was rebutted, but with the assumption that American judicial system is implied. The attack on 'an eye for an eye' was not valid. It would be immoral to kill 100,000 Americans in revenge. But the people who planned the murders (Bush, Rumsfield, Powel and other cohorts) definitely deserve capital punishment.
Vote Placed by OMGJustinBieber 4 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Cost point was rebutted, I'd have to call the morality point null because it wasn't adequately developed on either side.
Vote Placed by frozen_eclipse 4 years ago
frozen_eclipse
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: seel rebutted effectively.....and because of the fact that anything that dramatically lowers costs is always a plus
Vote Placed by thett3 4 years ago
thett3
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: cost does not outweigh justice. Con misunderstands Pros position (eye for an eye) and thus loses on justice, which makes him lose this debate.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
tyler42240SeelTheManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Seel rebutted tyler's argument, then made his own.