Milicank
Modernation1

Death Penalty

Milicank

Pro

I support death penalty for these reasons:

1. Appropriate punishment for appropriate crime
2. Deters Crime
3. Cost -economic aspect
Modernation1

Con

There are rarely scenarios where killing another person is justified. These scenarios include saving your own saving and/or the life of another person (your family etc.). When it comes to the death penalty, I don't support it, The Bible doesn't support it, and if you support it, you're nothing but the exact equivalent of the murderers on the street. Fact: killing a murderer doesn't bring back those who died (suprise!), and it only adds another digit to the death toll. So answer me this. Why do we kill people who kill people, to show that killing people is wrong?
Milicank

Pro

Thank you for accepting debate.
I apologize for not explaining my reasons. I didn't understand it will count as the first round :)

1. Appropriate crime-appropriate punishment= If someone decides to commit horrific, gruesome,unexplainable crime(murdering someone,war crimes,genocide, etc) the appropriate punishment for that person would be death penalty person choose to take away someone's life, in return his/her life will be taken as well. These crimes can be punishable by life in prison that happens, person is still alive as much as he/she is in prison. There is no appropriate punishment in this case.

2. Deters crime= Death Penalty deters the crime. Many different studies are done over the period of time, and many of them show that the death penalty deters crime and lowers crime rates. "Science does really draw a conclusion. It did. There is no question about it," said Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at Denver. "The conclusion is there is a deterrent effect."A 2003 study he co-authored, and a 2006 study that re-examined the data, found that each execution results in five fewer homicides, and commuting a death sentence means five more homicides. "The results are robust, they don't really go away," he said. "I oppose the death penalty. But my results show that the death penalty (deters) _ what am I going to do, hide them?"
It stop those who commit these crime by doing more, and also it deters, prevents other people of doing such crimes that would be punishable by death penalty. By deterring, we prevent many innocent people from dying.

3. Cost-economic aspect= Death penalty costs less then life in prison. People who believe that life in prison is less expensive will use argument that the death penalty is more expansive because it takes long time to convict some and punish by death penalty agree. It takes long time. But when person is punished by death penalty, and when executed there is no more cost. When we have a person in prison for life, it cost more many. They have right to many appeals, that will cost much more money. People that are in prison for life, have nothing else to do, except to appeal over and over again!And that costs a lot of money! Cost is much higher than in death penalty.

To answer you question-I think I did answer it already in my first reason. But will stated it again. People who a killers chose to do that, and for them is fine to take someone's else life. For them the only lesson to be taught is that their life will take taken as well. Definitely wouldn't work to explain to them that killing is not good thing and say to them: Please, don't do it anymore!You did it once, no more.
I have similar question for you?
What would you do to them(killers)? Or teach them, if you could do that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Modernation1

Con

Modernation1 forfeited this round.
Milicank

Pro

I wish you continued our debate.
I guess next time.
Thanks anyway.
Modernation1

Con

Modernation1 forfeited this round.
Milicank

Pro

Milicank forfeited this round.
Modernation1

Con

Modernation1 forfeited this round.
Milicank

Pro

Milicank forfeited this round.
Modernation1

Con

Modernation1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Debate_Girl_15 4 years ago
Debate_Girl_15
I think the death penalty should be abolished because (i) 2010 FBI statistics show the homicide rate in states without the death penalty is lower than in states with the death penalty; (ii) it's applied unfairly to non-Caucasians; (iii) we never can be sure whether a convicted murderer is guilty (exonerations happen on a regular basis); and (iv) it's more retaliation than justice.