dtaylor971
Honeyhoney

Death Sentence Should be Banned

dtaylor971

Pro

Should the death penalty be banned? I think so. The death penalty does much more harm than good.

Argument One: High Cost [1]
I'm going to start out this debate with something pretty straightforward: The high cost of the excecution. The death penalty has literally costed us MILLIONS of dollars, which could've gone to roads, schools, saftey, etc. In North Carolina, they have put down 43 people since 1976, and each has costed 2.16 million [2], making a total of over 90 million dollars spent on the death row. But that is a very mild example. In California, each excecution costs 250 MILLION [2], and 13 people have been put down since 1976. That's 4 billion dollars spent on excecutions. Considering we are chest-high in debt, the death row is doing nothing to help us. Just stick them in jail for life, they will feel the wrath.

Argument Two: Innocence [3]
1,264 people have been excecuted in America since 1976 [4]. Thats a thousand families casted into misery. But even worse, what if the culprit was proved innocent... after the excecution? My first prime example is Carlos DeLuna, who was excecuted in 1989. But in 2006, evedince arose that we excecuted an innocent man. Larry Griffin was excecuted in 1995, but evidence has come close to proving that he was innocent of his crime. There is no way to tell how many of the 1,200+ people that we convicted were innocent, but hopefully not more than ten of them.

Argument Three: Death Row is Doing Nothing to Stop Crimes
I looked all over the web and I could not find anything that proved the death row is good because it stops crimes. If it doesn't stop crimes, then why do we even do it? Just stick them in jail for life. That's a far worse punishment (I think anyway.)

Good luck to anyone who accepts this debate!

[1] http://www.deathpenalty.org...
[2] http://www.icomdp.org...
[3] http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
[4] http://www.theguardian.com...

Honeyhoney

Con

Life is one of Gods greatest gifts to us as mortals and should not be abused. In the bible murder is described as evil and is in the 10 commandments and by giving someone a death sentence you are disobeying God. where I live death sentences do not exist so I do not know why people have them, but I would expect for murder? What people must understand is there is a reason why somebody would murder and that they have problems. Of corse they must be sentenced to jail, but should not have the gift which is so very precious of life taken away from them. There are people dying of terminal diseases like cancer who really understand what the gift of life is and how lucky people are to have it, so I believe that no matter what death is not the answer and by giving them time to live on they may repent and they may not, but that is just the way that people think and whatever comes at the end of life will wait for them to teach them about what they have done.
dtaylor971

Pro

...We're both on the same side here? You selected con, so you think it shouldn't be banned. I'm confused here. I think it should be banned by selecting pro, and you think it shouldn't by selecting con.
Honeyhoney

Con

Oh dear I'm soo sorry! I read it wrong I was thinking it was a very cold hearted thing for you to argue for! Errr what do we do?
dtaylor971

Pro

I dunno... Lol
Honeyhoney

Con

Lol oh dear :)
dtaylor971

Pro

...
...
...
Honeyhoney

Con

Do you want me to just try and oppose you?
I believe that people like the men involved in the Jamie Bulger case are a danger to everyones life and so should be out of here. They are a danger to you me and everyone else do you seriously want to have a repetition of that?
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
LOL I know XD
Posted by Somecrap 3 years ago
Somecrap
lol fail xDDDD