TH3Antag0nist
TheLadyofTheInternet

Death is not bad.

TH3Antag0nist

Pro

The first round is acceptance.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

I accept the challenge
TH3Antag0nist

Pro

Opposing argument: #1 What is Death

, the action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism. Does anyone know what happens after death. Do we go to a spirit world, do we live another life, or do we cease to exist. We do not know what happens after death and not knowing is not bad.

Opposing argument #2 Sad family members

My con may try to use the argument that it is bad for family member. Again back to my first argument, we don't know what happens after death, so why be sad for a loved one. The sadness mostly comes from a jealous feeling. You are sad because you can't have that particular person anymore. So is losing a loved one is sad, but not bad.

Opposing argument #3 Full Life to live
The con may try to argue that the decease one may have lost the opportunity to live a life. Well again, we don't know what happens after death. In the Hindu religion they believe that you relive life possibly hundreds of times. They even look forward to death and celebrate it. So do they lose a life, we don't know.

Opposing argument#4 A Painful Death
Well if one dies painfully is it bad? No, because the pain is temporary. If you got a bloody nose as a child does it affect you now. No, at first it is the worst moment of your life, but it all comes to an end.

Conclusion:
Con, there is no way you can argue that death is bad. Why, you may wonder. Because Death in unknown to us. We all have our theories or ideas but in the cold truth we don't know.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

I think you pretty much said my argument. People are afraid of the unknown

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"
R13; H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature

Humans have many theories of what happens to us when we die but none of them are for sure we don't know and that's the scariest. As a catholic you lived in fear of death because of hell so you have to live your life by these rules and if you were to break them and never go to confession you run the risk of hell and eternal damnation is a scary factor. But if your not religious death can be scary for the fact of never existing once your gone it's like you were never there in the first place your life meant nothing.

Family
This is a horrible one and losing someone you care about is a horrible experience. I had seen it first hand with a friend losing her mother when she was still a child I guess that's something no child should go through. It's sad because there gone and you might never be able to even see them again they meant so much to you and sometimes when they die so suddenly they could never had known and in some cases never will. You have a belief to live off but then some people just have a memory it's a scary thought but memories fade over time and it's never pleasant to let go of such a close memory.

Sudden
Death is scary cause it can strike at any time the shear surprise of death has driven people to insanity. You could just go down the road to fetch some things and then your just dead on the road. It's the fact that we never know when it'll happen and when it does it's so unexpected your in shock cause it's just such a horrible thing to just happen like that.

Pain
I think it's bad cause it's the last thing you'll ever experience and that some diseases are slow killers and painful ones not only that but you are in pain and your loved ones have to witness it. It's just horrible to know your last moments on this earth are just so horrific.

Conclusion: When humans are faced with death they don't just stand still their instincts kick in and there in survival mode to you right now death isn't scary but wait till you are faced with it and it's a whole other picture.
TH3Antag0nist

Pro

Counter Argument #1: The Unknown
"People are supposed to fear the unknown, but ignorance is bliss when knowledge is so damn frightening."
R13; Laurell K. Hamilton, The Laughing Corpse

If you worry about death your whole life that when it comes around, you will realize you haven't lived.
-Vincent Welsh

In your first argument you say this,"But if your not religious death can be scary for the fact of never existing once your gone it's like you were never there in the first place your life meant nothing." If one is not religious than they have no care about Heaven or Hell. Let me remind you Con that this debate is not about the purpose of life.

Why should we be afraid of the Unknown. However, you are right people are afraid of the unknown. To solve this fear we have simply made it known. Finding out something new is an exciting moment. I look forward to the day I die, for when that day comes I will know the unknown. When you see an old man at his deathbed is he sad? No, his family and loved ones are sad, but he is ready to move on. Death is not normally a long suffered thing (unless other humans are involved). At any Hospice care center, the dying people accept Death. Why do humans really fear death? Well they fear it because it is inevitable. Humans are control freaks and we cannot control death. Our fear comes from our selfish personality really. Is the Unknown scary or exciting. When we first landed on the moon were we scared? No, we were excited. The unknown is only frightening if you want it to be.

Counter Argument #2 Family
When death comes to family members there is sadness everywhere. Why, though because you want to keep that particular person is their life. It is hard to think about but it is a selfish feeling. It was there time to leave this world and the loved ones did not want to accept fate. Many people are life support where they are "dead" but their bodies are still alive. It is then that the loved ones lose their selfish thoughts and let them go. Losing a family member is sad but this does not make Death bad.

Counter Argument #3 Sudden
You say this in your argument,"Death is scary cause it can strike at any time the shear surprise of death has driven people to insanity." Sudden Death is not scary enough to drive people to insanity. There may be some cases where this has happened but I have never heard one. This Sudden Death fear that you have argued does not affect how people live. People still take risks despite the death threat. Here I have a video of a man who died doing what he loved. He knew that there was a risk but he still took it.

The other base jumper lost his friend that day. Did that stop him from base jumping, no. If Sudden Death was a legitimate fear then people would not do things like this. The commonly known Crocodile Hunter died doing what he loved too. Poking wild and dangerous animals. Sudden Death is not a legitimate fear. A common saying today pertains to that, YOLO. You only live once. So live it.

I already basically covered your pain argument in my first argument.

Conclusion:
If people feared death as much as the con thinks, then why take risks. As humans we think of the rush, we want to do what we love even if we might die.
-Vincent Welsh
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

I do admit as humans we all take risks.

I do realize this is not a debate on the purpose of life but this is a debate on death and life does come into it. As for the meaningless argument i'm not sure if you have done that much in the of research but I looked on polls of why people are afraid of death and the Having No Meaning argument does show up alot of why people were scared. On the video I posted I'd like to point out why we find it sad if death wasn't a bad thing shouldn't we be happy is it his sons feelings and emotions what hurt us it's the death part. Here are some more arguments I'd like to bring up on this topic.

Experience:
This regarding what as the mourners go through. I don't believe in fate I think we make our own ways in life nothing is written in stone. I can bring up the stillborn debate do you believe that fate wanted them to be conceived and just die and the parents are selfish for wanting their child to brought into this world. I really can't see how you think it's selfish most of the time they are kept on life support by families because they love them to much to just let them go and they hope that maybe he can wake up and continue to live a full and happy life. Love we feel for family is not selfish.

Lost so Suddenly:
To me I was the one who had feared death so much that I was put in hospital I mainly started out with anxiety about dying (being killed by a bomb, Stabbed, Shot) so then I developed agoraphobia and could no longer leave the house so I got home schooled then It got so bad I was limited to my own room only leaving for the necessities practically starving myself I had to be sent to the adolescent ward I am now alot better. I'm acknowledging the fact that lots of mental illnesses and phobias do come from the fear of death. A question to ask why fear something that has no reason to be feared. I think a fear of death is a good thing to an extent it stops us from doing stupid and idiotic things YOLO is not something to live by.

Murder:
If death is not a bad thing why is a law not to murder and well to bring up your argument it's fate. Is it because they didn't have a choice well nobody has a choice. People get into fights why aren't they treated as bad. Well vegetarians have nothing to worry about cause murder ain't bad cause death isn't.

Life is precious and to lose it is a very sad thing to happen. Sure it can happen but it's not likely to happen just now but another thing is more people die before they turn 65 in the world.

Links:
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com...
TH3Antag0nist

Pro

Counter Argument #1

Well Con, I am disappointed in you. You used a children's movie seen to sadden the hearts of the voters. The Lion King is a completely fictional piece and you used it as an example. The director of the Lion King made that particular scene to touch the hearts of the audience and you are trying the same thing.
In your reasoning behind the child's movies you said this,"On the video I posted I'd like to point out why we find it sad if death wasn't a bad thing shouldn't we be happy is it his sons feelings and emotions what hurt us it's the death part." You seem to think I said death was a happy experience. Death is sad to family members for one reason, they can't have that particular person anymore. They enjoyed being with that particular person or loved them and don't want them to be gone.
Have you ever had an older sibling leave for college or went through a parental divorce? Well the person who leaves also leaves a pit in your heart. You miss them because you can't see them. This is the same feeling as losing a loved one. We want to be with that person so when they die we are sad.

Counter Argument#2

In your argument you wrote this sentence (run-on sentence),"To me I was the one who had feared death so much that I was put in hospital I mainly started out with anxiety about dying (being killed by a bomb, Stabbed, Shot) so then I developed agoraphobia and could no longer leave the house so I got home schooled then It got so bad I was limited to my own room only leaving for the necessities practically starving myself I had to be sent to the adolescent ward I am now alot better."
After you went through this experience did you not regret it? You talk like it was a bad part in your life but then right after you say," I think a fear of death is a good thing to an extent it stops us from doing stupid and idiotic things YOLO is not something to live by."
So is that the life you want us all to live? Locking ourselves away from the world. In that sentence you use the words, stupid and idiotic. Is it stupid to do what we love? Would you call a dangerous hobby, stupid or idiotic. Would you call climbing Mt. Everest stupid and idiotic. These are life-changing accomplishments. So why discriminate them because they are dangerous.
Humans will do what they love to do even if it is dangerous.

Counter Argument #3
Murder is bad. I should have clarified this from the beginning but this debate does not pertain to Murder.

Conclusion:
Humans need to take risk and enjoy life. We do not need to live in a shell our whole lives.

"Death is just the beginning of a new adventure," Author unknown.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
R13; Helen Keller,

(http://www.goodreads.com...)
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

A fear of death is something as humans we need how do you suppose the world would be without fear in some ways good but in others bad. This debate is leading away from the actual topic into fear I admit I am also to blame. I'd like it to deter back to the topic you wrote IS DEATH BAD if you wanted to go into fear please make sure you write the terms of the argument. I have to make it clear this is death we are talking about were we cease to exist. Fate has nothing to do with it we are not made to die young it happens and it is sad. Death is sad because of who the ones it takes. If all were to die at an older age were you have experienced life I'd be on bored with you but sadly it affects everyone.

Tool Of Power
Death can be a tool of fear people lose everything that made them humans and turn into animals succumbed by their survival instincts. War is a very big subject to do with it If you fight on a side you are no longer a human but a weapon or worse fodder. Human life is worth fighting for and if death is not bad why even fight why even sacrifice yourself to save anther's life when death should just happen.

Ripple Effect
I have posted a video about suicide in India with farmers and make another issue death around the world differs from were we are. Third world countries aren't nice places if you lose your main income earner you're as good as dead another story which also comes from India is from a women who lost her husband having to look after brothers and sisters and her own children she had no other option but to turn to prostitution but sadly that was extremely used form of work were she lived so money was still scarce in the end she moved to somewhere very far from others and literally just waited for death. Death in the end doesn't just effect one person but many even in first world countries this still happens.

Why Bother
May I ask if Death isn't a bad thing do you believe all research to stop it should end. Should we just let famine happen cause they are better off dead. People in the world do believe death should be avoided until it's our time. People who say that death is a good thing obviously never had much to do with it . Why bother with trying to keep people alive who are dying if you had cancer do you want to deny treatment and just let fate happen. In saying that people want to keep them alive because to live is much better than to die a child should not just left to die because of fate we should do everything to let them continue to live a happy life. I believe life should be enjoyed death should still be known to keep us running to that finish line a little story told by an old family friend.

Life is a cross country race with no winners or losers we start off ready and full of energy sometimes people trip at the start and are too injured to finish others trip but still get up and dust off with the help of others. As we get further into the race it gets harder and harder but we are helped out from our teammates but then some sadly have no one and just never make it. Some enjoy the race some don't but the stronger ones are those who push when there's no reason to continue. Sometimes we even make friends along the way and they'll stick with us till the end. It will rain from time to time but the sun will still shine when you're nearly there you look around and realize the ones you started off with are few but the ones you ran with are many and you're happy to know the race will end with them and you can find out together what happens after you stop running maybe you'll just start again maybe nothing or maybe a prize beyond comprehension with your teammates waiting by the trophy cause life's a race that needs to be finished.

I would like to leave my argument there and thank those who were great enough to join in with the debate and of course TH3Antag0nist I'm very happy to say I really enjoyed this debate and infact did learn alot. We should fight for life until death finally greets us.