lowanawalker
TheLadyofTheInternet

Death of an animal after an attack.

TheLadyofTheInternet
Started: 10/26/2014 Category: Places-Travel

lowanawalker

Con

Okay, so I'm not too sure about other countries but here in Australia there seems to be a belief that if you are attacked by a wild animal, trackers will attempt to hunt the animal down and terminate it. For example; if you enter the ocean and the slight chance you get attacked by a shark - the shark will be killed. Or if you enter Fraser Island (An island famous for wild dingoes) and perhaps get attacked or harassed by a wild dingo, that dingo will get tracked down and killed.
Personally, i think this is a disgusting way of fixing this solution. People know the risks of these attacks before they enter the ocean or another animal's habitat so why is it okay for the animal to die, when the tourist has trespassed?
If you enter a Lion's habitat at a zoo and get attacked, its your fault. But why are the rules changed when it comes to the wild?

I just wanted to know everybody elses thoughts?
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

I accept the debate.
I also live in Australia but i'm not too familiar with the rule.
I'll start the debate in the next round to have more time too familiarize myself with this legislation.
lowanawalker

Con

I don know if there is a whole legislation on the matter or anything... I'm going of observation from Australian media.
Recently, tonight actually, I saw on the news of two women who were jogging on Fraser Island and two dingo's chased them and bit them on the ankles except one woman actually got a bad puncture anyways they were talking about trackers finding the dingo's so they can be killed, so tourists aren't at harm however my point is that's the dingoes habitat, they shouldn't have to control themselves or hide in the own environment simply because of tourists
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

You said that these animals are only killed if they attack a person so we would have to see the number of animal attacks in Australia.

• Snakes: With 41 recorded deaths between 1980 and 2009, snake deaths in Australia average out at less than two per year.
    • Spiders: Nobody in Australia has died from a spider bite since 1979 after the successful introduction of antivenom for all native species.
    • Sharks*: Accounted for 25 deaths between 2000 and (March) 2012 in Australia, about 2 a year.
    • Crocodiles: Historically, crocodiles account for less than one death per year here in Australia, although that is increasing slightly as the crocodile population rises following the ban on crocodile hunting in 1971.
    • Blue Ringed Octopus: Just 3 recorded deaths in the last century.
    • Stonefish: One unconfirmed death by stonefish in 1915.
    • Cone Snails: I could find no recorded deaths from cone snails in Australia whatsoever.
    • Killer Jellyfish: Jellyfish account for (at time of writing) 66 deaths since records began in 1883. The box jellyfish was responsible for 64 deaths, and the Irukandji the other two. It sounds a lot, but still less than one death per year, more like just half a death per year.
Albeit alot of these animals cannot be hunted down the kill streak is quite low so Australia's need to hunt these animals down would also be a bit on the not really needed side. There has been talks of shark culling on the coasts but it has been scrapped. My point is animal attacks are not very common as of their need to kill these animals. You can say it is unfair for animals to be killed on nothing more than a basic instinct but alot of the time they will not be hunted down the people living in the area are most commonly given warnings on the creatures.
lowanawalker

Con

lowanawalker forfeited this round.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

I'm not quiet sure of what's happening with con and if she is still with this debate but I will make small arguments.

These culling's are not to the degree that con has put it when searching up the culling of animals in Australia I was only really able to find the controlling of some animal population (animals that are not from Australia often create problems for native creatures and the environment). These stories seemed to have only showed up very little and can be dramatised by the media.
lowanawalker

Con

lowanawalker forfeited this round.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

I'm guessing my opponent is longer participating in the debate so I'll just wait to finish.
lowanawalker

Con

lowanawalker forfeited this round.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

Tip for my opponent don't make such large debates if there is an off chance you will not finish them.
Posted by Lukas8 2 years ago
Lukas8
Thats an amazing and strange belief.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
lowanawalkerTheLadyofTheInternetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture