SONOFGOD2013
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Death penalty

SPENCERJOYAGE14

SONOFGOD2013

Con

You say that people who kill should have the death penalty so they won't have the chance to kill anymore. Although couldn't you just give them life in prison because they most likely wouldn't have the chance.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

I thank the affirmative side for asking me to this debate round.

Thirty-five states in American currently practice the death penalty. For most practicing states, the death penalty is in response to first-degree murder along with one of several aggravating circumstances. The death penalty is one of the most controversial subjects in American society today, as some argue that capital punishment is immoral, uncivilized, not to mention ineffective at bringing crime rates down. Others accept as true that certain crimes are such an affront to humanity that the only proper punishment is death. The death penalty honors human dignity by treating the defendant as on a free moral actions able to control his own destiny for good or for ill; it does not treat him as an animal with no moral sense.

Reason 1: Cost Effective
As my opponent has stated, "Although couldn't you just give them life in prison because they most likely wouldn't have the chance." But what he doesn"t understand is that the requirement for taxpayers to pay for the room, board and legal costs of these evil people is more than enough. When you finish the earthly existence of an immoral person, you are no longer paying for their free food and board.

Reason 2: Humanity and Fairness
We are respecting human life; we are asking that someone who is convicted of taking someone else"s life is put to a finish themselves. If you take the life of someone else you know the consequence, it is your choice not to abide by the laws.

Reason 3: Deterrence
Deterrence is when punishment suggests that putting a person who has committed a capital crime to death sends a message to other would-be criminals that the worst crimes are not tolerated. They suggest that any lack of deterrence comes not from any fault in the punishment, but because it is too slow in coming. Those who are against the death penalty insist that capital punishment does not deter crime by other criminals, stating that most people who commit the kinds of offenses that might land them on death row don't think rationally about their behavior.

Summary:
Reason 1: Cost Effective
Reason 2: Humanity and Fairness
Reason 3: Deterrence
For these three reasons I implore you to vote negative.
SONOFGOD2013

Con

Nice response spencer. I think that life in prison sends would be criminals a strong enough message to not kill anybody. And wouldn't killing a person even a criminal be wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right which means that killing a person who kills another person isn't right. Also if a person in his right mind has life in prison. He will be ashamed that he killed a person for the rest of his life. Which to me is worse than the death penalty.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

I extend thanks to the opponent for his rebuttal.

The death penalty communicates to everyone that murder is wrong, obviously if you murder somebody you know the penalty is imprisonment, but that does not change people"s actions. If we have capital punishment a federal punishment then everyone will know that the punishment is death and they will change their minds about what they are about to do.
I see that you are a Christian like me, but the Bible calls us Christians to have the death penalty. The Old Testament law commanded the death penalty for various acts including:
1)Murder
Exodus 21:12 Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.

2)Kidnapping
Exodus 21:16 Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

3)Bestiality
Exodus 22:19 Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

4)Adultery
Leviticus 20:10 If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

5)False prophesying
Deuteronomy 13:5 But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of slavery, to make you leave the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

6)Prostitution and rape
Deuteronomy 22:24 Then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbor's wife. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

And it is corresponding with several other crimes.

You are right that two wrongs do not make a right, but what you are mistaken is that we are not executing the innocent, these people have committed terrible actions against human beings, and they deserve to die.
"Also if a person in his right mind has life in prison. He will be ashamed that he killed a person for the rest of his life." People who commit heinous crimes are not in their right mind, if someone thinks it is a good idea to murder someone they are not in their correct mind.

Summary: 1 Communication
2: Death penalty and the Bible
3: Right state of mind

[1] http://www.gotquestions.org...
SONOFGOD2013

Con

First of all their are people who are in their right mind that kill people. But the devil influences them to kill. The people who are crazy will still kill because they're crazy. They don't really think about what they do. Also the bible called the Christians back then to have the death penalty not us. That was is ancient times. The old testament was written before Jesus was born and things have changed. God wants us to read about the past so we try not to sin,but he's not saying to kill. God can forgive us if we repent(even if we kill somebody). Even though your Christian you still need spiritual insight to understand the bible which you can ask god for by praying before you start reading. People who don't have The Lord will and don't repent will got to hell. So if they get life in prison they might change they're ways and have a chance to go to heaven.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

There are people in their right mind that kill people, but not that murder people. Killing and murder are two very different things.

"They don't really think about what they do." Most everyone thinks about what they are going to do, that's what a conscience is for.

"Also the bible called the Christians back then to have the death penalty not us." God set up the first judicial system, it worked perfectly then, why wouldn"t it work now?

"God wants us to read about the past so we try not to sin," We cannot with all effort we still will sin. It"s impossible to try not to sin, we are human beings, but with the Holy Spirit we can have strength not to sin.

The reason the death penalty is so good is that the death penalty helps eliminate those who have done crimes that are very major like rape and murder. It actually helps save money, and helps bring a sense of justice to the relations of those who have lost cherished loved ones.
SONOFGOD2013

Con

I don't know if you know this but before Jesus died on the cross god wasn't graceful like he is now. Back then when you did a sin you had to kill a Amina's if you sinned. The animals blood would cleanse your sin. But sometimes if the sin was so bad like rape or murder( several times) and you didn't have any animals to kill. You were going to he'll. that's why he use to kill people right on the spot. If you disobeyed his direct order(which was more common back then), he would kill them(not in all cases though). When Jesus died on the cross, he cleansed all of are sins because he has perfect blood. So anything we do including murder or rape when can be forgiven. So god is now graceful. Hey did you know when Jesus died he actually went to hell , but he beat death(which is actually a spirit or demon I'm not sure:) and came back three years later. Is hitch is when he rose back from the dead. I think Jesus went to hell to show death that he can't beat Jesus. I'm just guessing that Jesus went to hell to show death a lesson.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

SPENCERJOYAGE14 forfeited this round.
SONOFGOD2013

Con

I hope understand because I don't know how to crystallize this statement. :)
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

I am sorry for my forfiet and ask with a humble heart to take this as a apoligy. Please reward pro with Conduct points, but do not let my forfiet be the main decider of today's debate round.

God is the same, as in the Old and New Testiment, he will never change, and his judicial systim should never change.

As I have stated in the first round the death penalty is practiced in response to first degree murder, and rape. Some people would agree that the only proper punishment to these horrible affronts to humanity, its punishment is and only should be death.

I thank, you and now send this debate into the voiting period.

Posted by jesusfreak22 3 years ago
jesusfreak22
Spencer: The Bible does state that we should kill those who kill in the Old Testament. However, in the New it talks about how we should not condemn nor judge those who do wrong. Also, as the con has stated, two wrongs do not make a right.
SonOfGod: I wish you had expanded upon your arguements. I saw where you were trying to go, but you never fully convinced me. For that reason, I voted for Pro...
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
SONOFGOD2013SPENCERJOYAGE14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to con because of the forfeit. Arguments though go to pro because she had sources backing hers up, and got into more detail about why the death penalty should not be abolished
Vote Placed by jesusfreak22 3 years ago
jesusfreak22
SONOFGOD2013SPENCERJOYAGE14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Though I do not believe in the death penalty, I will not include my own decision in my vote. See comments for more.