TheRussian
briauna

Death penalty

TheRussian

TheRussian

Con

I will be arguing against the death penalty. Please begin your argument.
briauna

Pro

The crimes of rape, torture, treason, kidnapping, murder, larceny, and perjury pivot on a moral code that escapes apodictic [indisputably true] proof by expert testimony or otherwise. But communities would plunge into anarchy if they could not act on moral assumptions less certain than that the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. Abolitionists may contend that the death penalty is inherently immoral because governments should never take human life, no matter what the provocation. But that is an article of faith, not of fact. The death penalty honors human dignity by treating the defendant as a free moral actor able to control his own destiny for good or for ill; it does not treat him as an animal with no moral sense
TheRussian

Con

First, the death penalty is very expensive. In fact, more expensive than keeping the criminal in prison for life. In 2011, it was found that California spent a whopping $4 billion on capital punishment. This money could have been used to help the families of the victims instead of killing the offender. The death penalty goes against many religions who regard it as immoral. A study has shown that death penalty plays virtually no role in deterring criminals. Finally, one of the most obvious points, innocent people have been wrongly executed. This is a mistake that you cannot fix and is a terrible occurrence. If the death penalty was not in place, this would give investigators the time necessary to realize and declare the person innocent instead of just killing them.
http://www.deathpenalty.org...

The death penalty is actually "applied" almost at random. It depends more on the politics and judges of the court than on the offense itself.
http://www.americamagazine.org...

Frankly, I see absolutely no benefits of the death penalty.
briauna

Pro

briauna forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

Since I have nothing to refute, I will address my opponent's first argument. I would like to note that it seems like my opponent simply added some "smart" sounding words to buff up her argument.

"The death penalty honors human dignity by treating the defendant as a free moral actor able to control his own destiny for good or for ill"
I do not see how killing someone allows the defendant to control his own destiny.

"But communities would plunge into anarchy if they could not act on moral assumptions less certain than that the sun will rise in the east and set in the west."
I agree, but this argument does virtually nothing to support the death penalty.

My opponent has, in reality, done almost nothing to support the death penalty. I have no more to say, so I will sum up my arguments:
1. Death penalty is very expensive
2. Death penalty is unnecessary
3. Death penalty can be regarded as mercy, putting the guilty "out of their misery" instead of making them sit in jail
4. Death penalty goes against many religions
5. Death penalty does not "scare" criminals out of doing bad things
6. Death penalty is used randomly. It depends on the court, not the offense or crime that was committed
7. Innocents have been executed wrongly
8. There are no benefits to death penalty and my opponent has failed to convince me otherwise by providing very vague arguments

Thank you for the debate.
briauna

Pro

briauna forfeited this round.
Posted by Only-Human 2 years ago
Only-Human
I did a project in school and I chose the death penalty. I'm against it because think of it this way; If you murder someone , and the punishment is the death penalty, your punishment can't get any worse so there's nothing stopping you from killing more people to stay out of the law's hands. So capital punishment sometimes causes murder.
Vote Placed by Rhodesia79 2 years ago
Rhodesia79
TheRussianbriaunaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm pro-death penalty, but Pro failed to complete the debate and Con made a better argument.