Adam2
UtilitarianOtaku

Death penalty

Adam2

Adam2

Con

I will argue against
UtilitarianOtaku

Pro

With all due respect, I disagree that the death penalty is always wrong.

In some extreme cases, killing a person produces a better outcome than letting them live. I will give more examples further on, but say that a dangerous criminal is known for being particularly vicious to his victims. Would you rather have him suffer for years in jail, safe behind bars (though you run the risk that he could escape anyways), which hardly seems to raise anybody's happiness? Or would you rather him die a quick and painless death, minimizing suffering all around?
Adam2

Con

The death penalty doesn't deter crime. If anything more and more people will commit crimes under the death penalty. More people will try to see what they can get away with under the death penalty. It's much better to have prison. Not clean, conformtable prisons like the ones we have now, but rather real dark prisons. It's better to let a criminal rot for what he has done than to give him a nice quick death.
UtilitarianOtaku

Pro

People tend to not want to die. Sure, some people won't be deterred, but at the same time, a lot of people fear death, or would just rather it come later than sooner.

"Clean and comfortable" prisons are following basic human rights these days. "Darker" prisons that criminals "rot" in are like going back in time.

In conclusion, the death penalty is still deterring people, possibly more than the prisons of today do, but either way, the "dark" alternative would, at the very least, cause controversy.
Adam2

Con

I didn't mean to torture prisoners, but prison should not be comfortable. Is that not what prison is -- uncomfortable? Prison is a place of punishment in order to correct what criminals have done, and possibly cause some shame in them. Taking another life doesn't do it. People can change and repent of their ways. People deserve forgiveness and a second chance (upon finishing their punishment in jail). You kill a suspect, you deprive them of their chance to change.
And it's not for us to say who deserves to die.
UtilitarianOtaku

Pro

UtilitarianOtaku forfeited this round.
Adam2

Con

I rest my case.
UtilitarianOtaku

Pro

UtilitarianOtaku forfeited this round.
Posted by Carpe_Diem 2 years ago
Carpe_Diem
Death Penalty I give you life tick tock bitch
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
I didn't mean to post this twice
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
Your nemesis is morality not Customer service. Morality is on the decline. Look what the public servants in DC (aka the ruling-class) are doing to this country.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Adam2UtilitarianOtakuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture