Kahvan
wheelhouse3

Death penalty

Kahvan

Kahvan

Con

First off I would like to thank my opponent. (if she decides to accept this debate:p) I would argue against the death penalty, and I think this will be interesting because we are both LDS ^.^ So in this debate it would be perfectly acceptable to pull stuff from our beliefs.

I would also like to say that I hope to keep this debate from getting ugly, mean, vicious or anything else like that.

So, let the rounds begin.
wheelhouse3

Pro

I suppose that I will go straight into argument since I have accepted this debate.

The reasons that I support the death penalty are as follows:

1. The threat of the death penalty decreases crime rates.

2. The criminals knew what the consequences of their actions would be and yet they still committed the crime. They chose to accept that consequence when they chose to commit the crime. If the government does not administer those consequences, then the result would be a higher number of crimes that are punishable by death.

3. My religious reason for supporting the death penalty is this: The Lord told Nephi in the Book of Mormon to kill Laban because it was better for one wicked man to die than for an entire nation to dwindle in unbelief. I compare this to how the death penalty, or the death of one wicked man, keeps this nation from finding murder, rape, and other crimes punishable by death morally acceptable.
Kahvan

Con

I'll concede the point that having the death penalty decreases the crime rate alittle bit.

But as for your third point I would say this. God told him to. It was gods decision thus we knew it was a correct one for all the reasons you said and more.

Now I will state my "issues" with the death penalty.

1)In all too frequent cases people are put to death and then were later proved to be innocent. Once it was discovered they were innocent their was no way to undo their penalty. Had they been put in jail they could have at least been released and perhaps even compensated.

2)Who are we as imperfect human beings to judge whether someone should die? No matter the crime how can we justify a penalty that involves ending the life of a human being?

3)By killing a person you end any ability he or she has to develop while on this planet. It is very possible for someone to repent or if they don't repent to at least change somewhat if not significantly for the better. If we end there life then we deny them this opportunity to end there life in a somewhat better state then where they were before.

4)Lets say that what I have said could happen is the minority f the cases which I think it is. Even if this is the case, would you deny those few life for the sake of those who "MIGHT" actually desire that penalty?
wheelhouse3

Pro

wheelhouse3 forfeited this round.
Kahvan

Con

I forward my arguments
wheelhouse3

Pro

wheelhouse3 forfeited this round.
Posted by raindrpdew 6 years ago
raindrpdew
haha, her account is no longer active :]
Posted by Kahvan 6 years ago
Kahvan
This is between 2 Mormons so I assume we accept the same religious beliefs. Having said that I don't see why not.
Posted by Kahvan 6 years ago
Kahvan
Yup.
Posted by wheelhouse3 6 years ago
wheelhouse3
You said we can use our beliefs?
Posted by wheelhouse3 6 years ago
wheelhouse3
Never mind. I will debate you :)
Posted by Kahvan 6 years ago
Kahvan
Does this mean I cancel it for now?
Posted by Kahvan 6 years ago
Kahvan
Sure. Fine with me.
Posted by wheelhouse3 6 years ago
wheelhouse3
Will you agree to challege me to this debate at a later time? I don't like to argue 2 debates at once. I will debate you later though :)
Vote Placed by Kahvan 6 years ago
Kahvan
Kahvanwheelhouse3Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 6 years ago
Logical-Master
Kahvanwheelhouse3Tied