joshuaXlawyer
jm_notguilty

Death penalty

jm_notguilty

joshuaXlawyer

Con

First round is acceptance and definitions,

Definitions:

Punishment : to inflict pain or penalty to a person to teach them of their wrong doing.
jm_notguilty

Pro

Challenge accepted. By your definition of punishment, I assume it's Capital punishment, which is the death penalty, or execution, the sentence of death upon a person by judicial process as a punishment for an offense. (This comes from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org...)

I await your opening arguments, thank you.

joshuaXlawyer

Con

Opening Arguments : The system of law and order is all about justice but where do draw the line to were we become the very evil we wish to destroy. Murder is murder and capital punishment is just that murder, simple to just kill killers but what does that make you? It makes you a killer but with public opinion on your side and a notion of justice which isn't the case. Why is it that America holds a sanctity for life, and yet kill people for killing people how does that make sense its hypocritical.

Case:

1. The death penalty can and has killed innocent people, the government has killed innocents making it murder.
Under the death penalty rules technically all the people in the cases with innocent people killed should themselves be put on trial and killed. However it doesn't work that way, the accused is the only one getting blamed for a crime and if innocent but proven guilty will get the death penalty but then proven innocent after the sentence has already been carried out the government just goes oops sorry.

2. Death penalty cost more than life in prison without parole. Evidence :
Dudley Sharp, Death Penalty Resources Director of Justice For All (JFA), in an Oct. 1, 1997 Justice for All presentation titled "Death Penalty and Sentencing Information," wrote:
"Many opponents present, as fact, that the cost of the death penalty is so expensive (at least $2 million per case?), that we must choose life without parole ('LWOP') at a cost of $1 million for 50 years. Predictably, these pronouncements may be entirely false. JFA estimates that LWOP cases will cost $1.2 million - $3.6 million more than equivalent death penalty cases.
There is no question that the up front costs of the death penalty are significantly higher than for equivalent LWOP cases. There also appears to be no question that, over time, equivalent LWOP cases are much more expensive... than death penalty cases. Opponents ludicrously claim that the death penalty costs, over time, 3-10 times more than LWOP."

I await response...
jm_notguilty

Pro

Thanks to con for his response.

First of, I'll be playing devil's advocate here, I object to capital punishment, but it's nice being on the opposing side. Second, I'd like to point out that I'm having some difficulties understanding your grammar, it would be best if you review them carefully before posting.

Now, my rebuttal:

The legal system is a procedure process for obtaining an objective, to interpret and enforce the laws, laws which were made by the legislative goverment, by people, and people make mistakes, therefore, the law is not perfect and mistakes can happen. Capital punishment is not murder, murder is an unlawful premeditated killing, whereas the death penalty is a legitimate execution under the law. We send soldiers to war and kill, but we don't call them murderers, in fact, we can say we're proud of them, killing those 'terrorists' who took part in 9/11, yet we don't give them a fair trial, unlike the people in jail awaiting trial. America does hold a sanctity of life, it gives retribution to the loved ones an innocent victim who lost his/her life, taken away and victimized by a maniac.

1) --

The death penalty can and has killed innocent people, the government has killed innocents making it murder.

As I said, the legal system is not perfect, the people can make mistakes, we are not proud of it, but it's part of the process. Call it murder is you want, but I have stated that the death penalty is a legitimate execution by the state.

I don't quite understand these sentences due to your grammar but I assume you mean that all defendants, when faced with a crime and convicted, automatically gets the death penalty. I'll tell you this, not all states and countries have capital punishment, not all crimes recquire the death penalty. When on death row, there's still hope, you can appeal to the higher courts, if you are really proven innocent beyond reasonable doubt, then they can overturn the sentence and exonerate you. You are given time when you're in death row.

2) --

Death penalty cost more than life in prison without parole. Evidence :

Hmm, think it speaks for itself, I've highlighted the obvious, so the death penalty does not cost more than LWOP. Thanks for pointing that out.

My case/conclusion:

The death penalty gives justice to the ones who are also victimized in the past, it's better than LWOP, LWOP doesn't exactly mean 'life sentence', anything can happen; what are the chances of the serial rapist breaking out of prison and never coming back, or laws being changed, it can affect the sentencing laws which affects the prisoners, before you know it, more killers may be out in no time because of the change. he may harm more innocent lives, rape more people, what about the chances of a lunatic maniac going on a killing spree? Criminals are likely to commit more crimes when out, that's why DP is better, it can save potential lives, outside and inside prison, it prevents the criminal to commit more crimes, it prevents murder and death.

Thank you. I leave the floor to my opponent, good luck.

joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
jm_notguilty

Pro

.... ~_~

Please extend my previous arguments as my opponent forfeited this round, sadly.

Next, I'd like to add some arguments that stopping executions can put more innocents at risk, annihilating the DP is unfair to former criminals who were executed, it's denying people justice. That's why it should be retained.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
jm_notguilty

Pro

Why do I always get the forfeited debates T_T

Vote pro, arguments extended.
Posted by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
ahh i just missed this! Con I'll take you up on this debate as well
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
joshuaXlawyerjm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
joshuaXlawyerjm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
joshuaXlawyerjm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit