16kadams
Danielle

Death penalty

16kadams

16kadams

Pro

First round acceptance only
Danielle

Con

Sure, I accept.
16kadams

Pro

C1: deters murder and saves lives

Notice that when executios hit zero, the crime rose a lot, and when the excutions started again the crime began to decline.

David B. Muhlhausen, PhD, Senior Policy Analyst at the Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis, in testimony delivered on June 27, 2007 before the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Property Rights of the US Senate Judiciary Committee, stated:

"The recent studies using panel data techniques have confirmed what we learned decades ago: Capital punishment does, in fact, save lives... Over the years, several studies have demonstrated a link between executions and decreases in murder rates. In fact, studies done in recent years, using sophisticated panel data methods, consistently demonstrate a strong link between executions and reduced murder incidents. Using a panel data set of over 3,000 counties from 1977 to 1996, Professors Hashem Dezhbakhsh [and] Shepherd of Emory University found that each execution on average, results in 18 fewr murders.

They found that executions had a highly significant negative relationship with murder incidents. Additionally, the implementation of state moratoria is associated with the increased incidence of murders... While opponents of capital punishment allege that it is unfairly used against African–Americans, each additional execution deters the murder of 1.5 African–Americans. Further moratoria, commuted sentences, and death row removals appear to increase the incidence of murder... Americans support capital punishment for two good reasons. First, there is little evidence to suggest that minorities are treated unfairly. Second, capital punishment produces a strong deterrent effect that saves lives."

So it deters crime, and saves live according to this PHD man.

George W. Bush, MBA, 43rd President of the United States, in an Oct. 17, 2000 Third Bush-Gore debate at Washington University, answering to the question "Do both of you believe that the death penalty actually deters crime?," stated:

"I do, that’s the only reason to be for it. I don’t think you should support the death penalty to seek revenge. I don’t think that’s right. I think the reason to support the death penalty is because it saves other people’s lives."

I know people hate bush, but he agrees with the man above, so his views do correlate with a PHD professor, so he can't be to far off.

C2: It is moral

An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth. It falls into that saying. Also it makes sense that if you kill someone that you shoul dbe killed too. May the punishment fit the crime. So in those standards it is moral, and rightfully so. Executing murderers also makes it impossible to commit the crime again, so you kill him, and save other people, therefore it is moral because you are saving innocents.

WithChrist.org, a Christian ministry, in its website section titled "Capital Punishment - Death Penalty," (accessed June 17, 2008), stated:

"The Death Penalty is moral and just. Judicial death for the purpose of maintaining justice or righteousness is well established in human history. However, the rise of death penalty executions in the United States against a backdrop of liberalism has triggered protests from various anti-capital punishment factions. Often shouting the loudest are liberal religionists and clergy who erroneously claim to speak for God. These folks are grossly confused and seriously wrong."

C3: the bible alows it

this argument only applies to christians.

'Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. for assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."-Matthew 5:17-19

C4: Rarely are innocents executed

As for the penal system accidentally executing an innocent person, I must point out that in this imperfect world, nothing that is worth having comes without risk. After all, far, far more innocent lives have been taken by convicted murderers than the supposedly 23 innocents mistakenly executed this century. In fact, there is absolutely no evidence that the death penalty in this country has ever executed even ONE innocent in the past century! Also consider that thousands of American citizens are murdered each year by released and paroled criminals. These are the serious flaws in life sentences that abolitionists prefer to trivialize to nonexistence. [1]

Syndicated columnist Charley Reese stated:

I favor a fair trial, one quick appeal and prompt execution. I don't think murderers ought to live much beyond 12 months from the day their victim is buried...[and] As for not being able to correct a mistake, so what? Virtually all accidental deaths are deaths by mistake. Why impose a standard of perfection only on the criminal justice system? There are no perfect human institutions. Our system is, more than any other, designed to protect the rights of the defendant. The chance of a truly innocent person being executed is exceedingly slim. But if it happens, it happens just as things happen to people every day. [1]

So yes, it probably does happen, but they happen rarely and the chances of doing so is slim.

C5: more people are for the Death penalty than against it:

[2]

C6: people on life without parole can get out of prison.

5/1/09 - Illinois governor commutes sentence of mom who killed kids

The new Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has commuted the sentence of Debra Lynn Gindorf, a woman some experts believe was suffering from postpartum depression when she killed her two children more than two decades ago. Gindorf, now 45, was found guilty but mentally ill for the 1985 murders of Christina, 23 months and Jason, 3 months. Gindorf was given a sentence of life without parole, but Quinn shortened the sentence to 48 years. In Illinois, she will receive a day of credit for every day she has served under "good conduct" rules and will be eligible for immediate release on parole because she has already served 24 years. The 45-year-old Gindorf was found guilty but mentally ill in the 1985 slayings of 23-month-old Christina and 3-month-old Jason. She tried to kill herself and the children but she survived the blend of alcohol and sleeping pills and woke the next morning beside her dead children. Quinn spokesman Bob Reed declined comment. The Lake County State's Attorney's office had supported clemency for Gindorf. In interviews published in local papers, Gindorf refers to the murder of her children as "the accident." [3]

For more examples go to my [3] source.

I await your response.

sources:

http://wesleylowe.com... [1]

http://www.gallup.com... [2]

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com... [3]

Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
16kadams

Pro

extend arguments
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
16kadams

Pro

extenda mundo
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
16kadams

Pro

extend arguments. Also I clearly deserve conduct.
Danielle

Con

I asked Pro to challenge me to a debate on any topic. Unfortunately he picked a topic that I couldn't care less to debate (considering I have already debated this issue about two dozen times). With finals winding down and Christmas approaching, I unfortunately had to forfeit every previous round due to time limits and/or overall lack of interest.

Pro deserves to win arguments, sources and conduct points for this debate. However I will say that his arguments are basically just c/p from other sources which is kind of lame. I wouldn't mind at all if Pro re-challenged me to this debate. If he does, I promise to put forth a better effort next time. Thanks anyway, Pro. Hopefully you will give me another chance ;)
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Fail.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
InVinoVeritas
I'm more disgusted with Pro's copy/pasted argument than I am with Con's forfeiture of the debate.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
16, your entire round was literally copied and pasted except you put quotes around it. That demonstrates zero skill and merely your ability to copy and paste. Congratulations.

Ober, I'm not really sure how else to end it after my forfeits. I hope my opponent re-challenges me to this debate.
Posted by OberHerr 4 years ago
OberHerr
Well, that was about the worst way to end a debate I have ever seen.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Wait those are my arguments but the quotes support my argument
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
I know I still have a typing deficiency
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
I literally just explained it to you in the previous comment.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
*typing*
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
how is it plagiarism if its sourced? Also they make it sound better than I could because i have yping deficiency's.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
It's basically cited and sourced plagiarism. You took other people's arguments, copied and pasted them and presented them as your own arguments without even trying to put them into your own words or state your case in your own way. If I had responded, I would essentially have been responding to the author's points - not yours. Anyway, challenge me again to this debate (perhaps once I prove I can complete a debate with you lol I accepted your other one).
Vote Placed by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
16kadamsDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Great shame.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 4 years ago
1Historygenius
16kadamsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by thett3 4 years ago
thett3
16kadamsDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was dissapointing :/
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 4 years ago
Lordknukle
16kadamsDanielleTied