Debate: Churches ought to pay taxes

Debate Challenge
This debate challenge was issued to FourTrouble. If you are FourTrouble, login to see your options.
Challenge Expires In
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 7 hours ago Status: Challenge Period

Full resolution: Churches ought to pay taxes

The debate is impossible to accept, apply in the comments if you are interested and I will send the challenge to the applicant of my choosing. First round is acceptance only. No new arguments in the final round. Kritiks aren't allowed.

Taxes on churches would mean regular property taxes and commercial income taxes. Basically they lose their tax exempt status.
Posted by missmedic 2 weeks ago
The Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage makes it clearer than ever that the government shouldn't be subsidizing religion and non-profits groups. All citizens, whether they be believers or nonbelievers subsidize religion in the United States. Taxing churches would bring in over 70 billion dollars, it would be enough to pay for all the food stamps for every person on welfare and have enough left over to house the homeless.
It begs the question, why are the churches not helping the poor and hungry more?
Posted by Khons 3 weeks ago
plus, the word church is not the walls of a building, it is the spirit of the followers, the body of Christ so no matter what the church will pay taxes
Posted by Khons 3 weeks ago
The church does pay Taxes and i know that this is wrong but also right in some ways challenge me. My sibling in Christ.
Posted by HGA 3 weeks ago
How do you define "church"? Churches can simply be a gathering place for believers of any given religion. This is why schools are often used as a church, because in the case of Christians, it doesn't really matter where they worship. Church can just be defined as a place of worship.
Posted by DavidMancke 3 weeks ago
That's a good inroad, but I'm not sure it abridges the "gap between church and state. The constitution simply says the state shall not establish any "state religion" and guarantees freedom of worship.

Moreover we already have tons of legal precedents for the state awarding grants to religious charity.

Are you saying that taxing churches would give those tax channels improper influence? Corporate agents already have massive wealth that can muster significant influence. These same channels are already open to tax exempt religious groups. Churches can contribute to lobbying effort through those same channels right now. Jerry Falwell's Christian Coalition for example had massive impact in the Reagan era.
Posted by issacjuma 3 weeks ago
I think this one would be interesting, once the government starts collecting taxes from churches the idea of separation of church and state no longer apply. Every tax payer has the right to vote and lobby for the way politicians vote.
Posted by DavidMancke 3 weeks ago
Out of curiosity, does Pro/gov get to define terms of the debate..? If so there should be no issues with arguing a building itself cannot pay taxes.

If Pro gets to define "churches", or it is defined as religious groups and organizations that currently have tax exempt status, I would take this.
Posted by tejretics 3 weeks ago
The notion that Hayd would resort to such cheap tricks is bullsh!t, and FT is smart enough to know it.

In fact, any person who resorts to such a trick should be voted down, and should lose, because they deserve to lose.
Posted by fire_wings 3 weeks ago
@Fourtrouble, this will be by semantics, I'm 99% sure of it.
Posted by Hayd 4 weeks ago
I'll challenge Fourtrouble after I finish my current debate.