Tioga120
BetterDeadThanRed

Debate the two party system and the elctoral college

BetterDeadThanRed has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Tioga120

Con

I will let my opponent open with his argument
BetterDeadThanRed

Pro

I will be debating on the side of the electoral college, but not the two party system.

The electoral college gives more power to:

The States
and
The People

The Electoral college gives more power to the states by each state counting up its own popular vote, and voting for President based on that statewide popular vote. College members then cast their votes to President based on the statewide vote. This allows individual states to hold power in the Presidential election, instead of it going by the terrible idea of national popular vote.

The Electoral college gives more power to the people as well. It allows people in lower population areas and states to have their voices heard. When 80% of people live in the cities, they can suppress anyone who lives in the countryside states during elections if there was a national popular vote. People from anywhere that wasn't the city would have their voices drowned out, which is against democracy, the idea that all voices must be heard.
Tioga120

Con

The electoral college is (excuse my french) crap. To win the presidency you basically need to win 7(California, Flordia, Texas, Ohio, New york, Illinois, pennPennsylvania) big states and you easily have the presidency, and that is most of the campaigning is held is. In the recent election Donald trump won the electoral vote but not the popular, and in my opinion, that is stupid. We need a system that does it off the number of votes of the people, not our representative's that vote us a person we do not want in office.