RichardCarter
What50

Debate.Org's Age Criteria Isn't Right

What50 has forfeited round #4.

RichardCarter

Pro

Today, I will debate that DDO's (Debate.org) age criteria option is not a fair way to limit to specific debaters.

Round 1: Acceptance+Claim
Round 2: Arguments ONLY
Round 3: Rebuttals + Other Arguments
Round 4: Finishing Rebuttals and Statements

I want a professional and understanding debate.
What50

Con

I accept. I contend the proposition that the Debate.Org's Age Criteria is right.
RichardCarter

Pro

I want to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Round 2 is arguments ONLY, so here we go. I only have 2 arguments.

1. Overall Ageist.

According to dictionary.com, the definition is as follows:

noun
1.
discrimination against persons of a certain age group.
2.
a tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment. [1]

Notice the bolded statement here. This more accurately describes the basic idea of Debate.Org's Age Criteria. Children or older people are usually discriminated thinking they are debilitated or weakened. People who are using a set minimum and or maximum range, are basically afraid that teenagers or old men are going to mess up everything, have lower quality arguments/rebuttals, etc. And there are cases when 'trolls' or 'troll debates' are made by younger people, that still doesn't make it absolutely necessary to change the minimum range to a higher age group.

2. Prevents Debate Skills & Learning
Despite being online, a lot of 14-15-year-olds here have professional (while newbie) debating experience, but they are learning. And if they are being prevented from accepting a challenge because of their age, it is hindering the person's debate skills. And yes, they can take debate classes, and I can't refute that.

Those are my only 2 arguments I have here. I am excited to hear my opponents arguments.

Sources: http://www.dictionary.com...
What50

Con

Thank you Pro for the arguments.

Younger people brains are less rational than Adult brains. Teenagers brains process information through the amygdala, the emotional part [1]. While adults use their prefrontal cortex, the more rational part of the brain [1]. The reason why I brought up this is that older people want to have a good, fun debate. They want to debate rationally, not emotionally. The age criteria allows for older people to debate with there peers.

The age criteria doesn't even matter either. Anyone has the power to just simply change there age through the DDO settings.

[1]- https://www.urmc.rochester.edu...
RichardCarter

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for their arguments. Round 3 is rebuttals and other arguments for rebuttals, so I'll get into those.

1. Younger people brains are less rational than adult brains.

This is very true in many ways. Teenager's brains are more adolescent than adult's brains, however, there's nothing stopping adult's from causing same actions as teens. Adults can gladly choose to become their teen or childhood days for nostalgia purposes. Also, adults may have disorders or mental illnesses that can cause actions similar to one of a teen's actions.

According to an observation, and I quote from The Atlantic: "In August 2010, Robin Marantz Henig observed in New York Times Magazine that Generation Y (the Millennials) has pushed back each of the five milestones of adulthood: completing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, marrying, and having a kid." [1] There is also a graph nearby this information.

s://cdn.theatlantic.com...; alt="pew3.png" />

By the view of this, this shows that the share of Population of 18 to 24 year-olds enrolled in school or colleges are increasing as the years or generations go on. [1]

Moving on, Con explains, and I quote: "The reason why I brought up this is that older people want to have a good, fun debate. They want to debate rationally, not emotionally. The age criteria allows for older people to debate with there peers."

The definition of 'peer' is basically an equal skill level. If they wanted to debate with their peers, they should be adjusting the Elo ranking requirements, not the age. Explanation of age is in round 2. But I must point out on: "They want to debate rationally, not emotionally." Then it is best to make this clear than adjusting the age requirements.

2. "The age criteria doesn't even matter either. Anyone has the power to just simply change there age through the DDO settings."

This should be DDO's problem, like preventing age changes once the age has been decided (and should be updated as the years go by. Either way, this argument is pointless.

Those are my rebuttals for round 3.

Source:

[1] https://www.theatlantic.com...
What50

Con

My opponent tries to show a correlation between age restriction and discrimination. However I believe that it is merely a over generalization. He tells that people who set minimum or maximum age requirements are afraid of teenagers or old people. There is no evidence, or proof Pro shows to prove this correlation, so his burden of proof falls off.

He tells that this restriction prevents debate skills and learning. I argue that there are more options than just debating to improve your skills. Such as taking in a mentor, you can find one in DDO, read DDO's debating guide, and much more. A newbie shouldn't immediately jump in without at least knowing the common terminology.
RichardCarter

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for their rebuttal for round 3. I will rebuttal back on round 4 and finish this off.

My opponent states that my BoP has fallen off for not showing any proof of people who set minimum or maximum age requirements are afraid of teenagers or old people. And I might have proof or a bluff. And if this is not sufficient proof, I will provide additional proof.

My main proof/bluff is: You set minimum or maximum age requirements on your own debate (and additional Elo rankings).

Con has made a debate, linked here: http://www.debate.org...

Previously, and I wish I had a screenshot for this, I could not accept this debate (not that I ACTUALLY wanted to [as it looked like I said in the comments] because of requirements. Con, please be honest, straight with me: Was AGE part of the restriction before you had lowered it? And if so, you yourself might've just admitted to why, and tell me again if I'm wrong: Your reason is stated in your argument in Round 2: "They want to debate rationally, not emotionally. The age criteria allows for older people to debate with there peers."

And that is the reason why you did this. And if this is not the case, you still basically admitted my proof for argument 1 on round 2. Therefore, I will not go farther on this.

My opponent argued that there are more options to improve your skills. I can't refute this. My argument has been refuted.

In conclusion,

My first argument still remains standing on its last leg, while my second argument has been refuted. My third argument on Round 3 "Adults are getting less mature over the generation; And they can unwillingly or willingly be the same mental state as their childhood" remains unchallenged.

I'm excited to see what my opponent says. However, I feel like my arguments are about to be defeated, so this might be a lost for me. But, that's the voters' decision.

Posted by RichardCarter 6 months ago
RichardCarter
Oh lordy, please don't tell me the debate isn't going into the voting part because of this.
Posted by RichardCarter 6 months ago
RichardCarter
It's not like I have much to argue or counter at all, so I'm just gonna start with something I've never done before. Just one more kick.
Posted by What50 6 months ago
What50
Theres barely any room to argue here unfortunately. I think you should of broad it more like "DDO should remove all criterias."
Posted by What50 6 months ago
What50
It's alright it's hard to post pictures in this site in my opinion.
Posted by RichardCarter 6 months ago
RichardCarter
I guess I don't know how to post a picture in my argument correctly without using a link. Oh well.