TheGodEmperor
imabench

Debate.org Shouldn't Ask For Cell Phone Numbers For Confirmation.

imabench

TheGodEmperor

Pro

First: I'll state that this is a one statement debate and whoever wishes to argue should be sure to prepare all the points they wish to have stated to back up their side.

Second: My Statement

Debate.org has no need for our cell phone numbers to text a confirmation code considering they already demand confirmation via e-mail. It is merely a means to collect more data on its members so it can sell it off to others to make profit. As stated in their privacy statement under Operational Communications:

"These Operational Communications may also contain commercial messages, banner ads, newsletters, information, special offers and other promotional materials for Debate.org or third parties' goods or services. "

Furthermore, the need to confirm a cell/mobile phone number keeps those who legitimately have no cell phone and don't desire to own one from being able to participate on the site. This goes against their very mission statement that states:

"The mission of Debate.org is to be the premier website for online debates across thousands of topics. To ensure success, Debate.org offers a platform for formal debates and opens communication for all who wish to participate. Moving forward, the website will expand to allow debates in multiple formats increasing the opportunity for members to interact, debate, and discuss important issues. "

By having a need for a cell phone to have a confirmation code texted to you only hinders their very mission of providing a place for all those who wish to participate.

It would be in Debate.org's best interest to remove this requirement. In fact, it might be in their best interest to allow for anonymous posts to debate without the need of an account at all. But that is another debate to be had.
imabench

Con

"Debate.org has no need for our cell phone numbers to text a confirmation code considering they already demand confirmation via e-mail. It is merely a means to collect more data on its members so it can sell it off to others to make profit."

Thats a blatant lie.... The reason that DDO asks for a cell phone number is to ensure that the person joining the site is legit and not another dummy account by someone already on the site. People can make email accounts super easy and super fast, and possibly use them to make dozens of accounts on the site and vote for themselves in debates they didnt rightfully win. Cell Phone verification keeps multiaccounting down.

"Furthermore, the need to confirm a cell/mobile phone number keeps those who legitimately have no cell phone and don't desire to own one from being able to participate on the site."

These days you have to be 8 years old to not have a cell phone, and those who dont have cell phones dont tend to stick around on the site anyways so not much is being to those who dont have cell phones.

"By having a need for a cell phone to have a confirmation code texted to you only hinders their very mission of providing a place for all those who wish to participate."

But those who dont have cell phones usually dont stay around and participate anyways since they are usually too young and uninterested. And on the other hand, cell phone verification actually gives this place some integrity by not letting it become overrun with dummy accounts and spammers which keeps in touch with their mission of providing a good place for debate and discussion.

"It would be in Debate.org's best interest to remove this requirement."

Anyone who knows of people using multiaccounts to boost their own debates and get wins knows that this isnt true at all.
Posted by TheGodEmperor 3 years ago
TheGodEmperor
They are forums that aren't necessarily focused on debating this kinda thing, but have sections for it. It's a pity, I mean, look at the comments and look at the votes. There are those who are in agreement with me, but they can't vote all because of the BS phone requirement :\ pity.
Posted by zigstum 3 years ago
zigstum
I am another user tired of checking his cell phone for verification. I hate the idea of giving my personal phone number to a very impersonal website, but such was my desire to participate, I gave my number about 3 weeks ago, indeed, I gave it in four diffident formats to make sure the verification system had every chance of success, but still nothing. I even emailed support stating the problems I faced. Still nothing. Where are these other debate sites Mr Dune God Emperor Man?
Posted by dozer 3 years ago
dozer
any website should never have access to my personal information. if they have a problem with someone they should ban their ip/mac address. prof of personage is not cause to block a post, incorrect behavior is. i was going to participate in this site. i conected my facebook, started looking up other debates and came accrosed this and now i know that i came to the wrong place.

p.s. children have the right of opinion. if they can spell and get access to a site and understand what is going on they should be able to. ageism is not a way to win a argument.

no need to message me i wont be returning
Posted by Graincruncher 3 years ago
Graincruncher
I would have no problem with the system if it actually worked. I have still never successfully received a confirmation message. I completely agree with the point of the system, but if it doesn't work then it needs looking at.
Posted by TheLaughingOut 3 years ago
TheLaughingOut
I am 30 years old and I cannot afford a cell phone nor would I own one if I could. While I don't necessarily agree with all the points that Pro made I very much agree that this rule keeps people like me from voting and participating.
Posted by TheGodEmperor 3 years ago
TheGodEmperor
I probably should have made this multi-round, but my point was really trying to get awareness at their bad system.

I will do a quick respond:

"These days you have to be 8 years old to not have a cell phone, and those who dont have cell phones dont tend to stick around on the site anyways so not much is being to those who dont have cell phones. "

and

"But those who dont have cell phones usually dont stay around and participate anyways since they are usually too young and uninterested. And on the other hand, cell phone verification actually gives this place some integrity by not letting it become overrun with dummy accounts and spammers which keeps in touch with their mission of providing a good place for debate and discussion. "

Ya, so? Cause many do have cell phone early doesn't mean everyone does, especially those outside the US. And only making a baseless assumption that those who don't have a cell are less likely to show up/stay.

Guess what? We already have 2 examples in the comments of people who want to participate fully, but they can't because they aren't in the US and then there is me who would like to participate fully (I freaking LOVE to argue, if you want I can link you to other sites I argue vehemently on), but I have no cell phone. Why would I want to have on? It's pointless and more expensive for me.

And, the other point, about "multiple accounts" well (as a web developer who has to account for these things) there are easy ways to detect if the account is the same person even around proxy servers.

Man, next time I'm gonna make this a multi-round thing >.>
Posted by Sadra1122 3 years ago
Sadra1122
I agree with hightreason and I would like debate.org to either change the system or allow other countries.
Too bad I can't vote.
Posted by hightreason 3 years ago
hightreason
Since I can't vote on this debate because I can't confirm due to not having a cell phone from one of the countries they allow, I guess I just have to comment. The site either needs to support cell phones from all countries, or allow alternate methods of verification. The current system is very badly implemented in that it prevents a lot of people (like me) from participating.
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
HeartOfGod
TheGodEmperorimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: cons arguments were convincing. The legitimacy of this site being upheld by the cell phone rule is good.
Vote Placed by justin.graves 3 years ago
justin.graves
TheGodEmperorimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ick. This debate was a horrible one round debate. What can I say, Con showed why cell phone confirmation was needed. Pro failed in the BoP horribly.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
TheGodEmperorimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: You don't need a cellphone number. You can bypass that by completing a couple extra debates... Oh and con countered pro's arguments effectively denying him BoP.