Shaw357
JustAnotherFloridaGuy

Debate.org has an unnecessary verification process.

JustAnotherFloridaGuy

Shaw357

Pro

Rules: 1. There will be no swearing or derogatory terms directed at either individual, however they may be directed at anything or anyone else.

2: Have a basic understanding of American English. You don't need to sound like you graduated with a Ph.D in English, just dnt telk lik3 dis k thx

3: Sources are completely optional as this is more of an opinionated debate.

4: This is a serious debate on a non-serious topic. Don't half @ss it because it's a "dumb" debate

Failure to comply with these rules will result in me calling you a fool. That's about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the first time I've heard of this website, and after reading a really bad debate by both sides, I went to cast my vote. To my discouragement though, I was prompted with two preventive measures: I must provide my cell phone number, and complete three debates in order to vote (and I also assume comment as well as other functions that I couldn't seem to do).

A CellPhone: Not everyone has one nor does everyone want one. "But PRO, there are more cellphones in the world than there are people!" I realize that, however that doesn't mean everyone has one. Plenty of individuals have more than one cellphone, sometimes one is for work and one for leisure. Other times, people just buy a new cellphone that is more up to date, and they'll just leave their old ones in a drawer somewhere. The amount of phones increases but the amount of users stays relatively the same. Debate.org does not take into account the people without cellphones who still want to participate.

CellPhone Privacy: Giving all of our numbers to one collector is a serious risk. A skilled hacker can break into the database and collect these private details. Other companies with personal data collections have been compromised before, and I can say with certainty that it will continue to happen to other companies, perhaps even this one.

3 Debates Requirement: I understand where they're coming from with this, they don't want trolls or bots ruining all of the debates so they have this wall here to prevent that. However, seeing as how debates can last anywhere from three days to six freaking months, it becomes highly inconvenient for people that just want to do something as simple as leave a comment.
JustAnotherFloridaGuy

Con

I accept and agree to comply to the rules laid out by Pro.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I present my argument, it is worth establishing that Debate.org’s identity verification process is modeled to prevent users from cheating in debates by creating accounts to vote for themselves. With this in mind, the identity verification process is reasonable.

As Con, I need to show that Debate.org does not have an unnecessary verification process.

Before I start, Pro states, "simple as leave a comment". The commenting feature is available without identity verification. It's just the voting feature that can't be used until one's identity has been verified.

Alternative Identity Confirmation Method:
A brief Google search brought up an official post from Debate.org_Official that states:

“If you would like to confirm your identity without the use of a mobile phone, either because you do not wish to share your number or because your carrier and/or country are not available, please follow these steps:

1) Complete 3 debates

2) Contact the site moderator, airmax1227 ([link to mod’s profile]), to have your identity confirmed manually”

That being stated, according to an official post created presumably by admins on this site, it is fully possible to get an identity verification done without giving away one’s cellphone number. This means that anyone can completely access the site, even without a cellphone. They just have to put in some effort to show that they're taking things seriously. [1]

This point alone refutes two of Pro’s arguments, but I will touch on them briefly using this point to support whatever else I have to say.

A Cellphone:
While it is true that not everyone has access to a cellphone, there aren’t many other effective alternatives for confirming one’s identity for the purpose to prevent cheating. If the site functioned solely on an email confirmation system for identity verification, a dedicated cheater could easily create a new email to gain full access the site. With a cellphone, it is much more difficult to forge sockpuppet accounts for the goal of cheating as it is not as feasible to create a new phone number or obtain one. One of Debate.org’s primary goals is to keep their dedicated user base (the people who have offered their phone numbers or otherwise and use the site daily) content, therefore it is reasonable to have this in place. Without this measure, the site would certainly end up with more instances of cheating, resulting in unhappy users. If one does not have a phone number, they may have an identity verification done manually. Because of this, Pro is incorrect in asserting that Debate.org does not take people without cellphones into consideration.

Cellphone Privacy:
The amount of sites that get hacked for personal data collection in comparison to the sites that don’t is extremely small, so the chance of something like this ever happening is so miniscule that it is not worth worrying about it. For those concerned about it, as touched on, may have their identity verification done manually.

3 Debates Requirement:
This requirement essentially exists to further deter any cheater who gets through the cellphone verification process, whether it be through getting one of their friend’s numbers or otherwise. With this requirement in place, it makes the prospect of creating alternative accounts to cheat incredibly bleak.

It is also reasonable in the manual alternative for identity verification. The moderator in charge of this needs to know that one intends on taking their time and debates here seriously before they manually accept them, so they want to see them participate in multiple debates to confirm that they're not a sockpuppet account, but rather someone who wants to be a member of the community.

Six months seems like a blantant blowing of proportions to support Pro's argument. While there may be debates out there that have lasted for that length, it does not mean that they commonly stretch for that long. It seems more rational to assume that debates average out at about five days a piece, though it does vary a lot. That being said, this measure doesn't seem as brutal as Pro makes it out to be.

Vote Con.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
Shaw357

Pro

I would first like to thank Con for their acceptance of the debate and it's rules, along with their nicely pieced argument.

I really can't argue with your reasoning from any angle that would maintain the same security as the current system while increasing convieniance for real users. So for lack of better words, GG no re.
JustAnotherFloridaGuy

Con

Pro has conceded.

I'd like to thank Con as well for the short, but sweet debate. It was fun.

Vote Con.
Posted by preachertaylor 2 months ago
preachertaylor
If you can't vote because you need a mobile phone number and there's no alternative to confirm your identity. Debate.org is going down.
Posted by JustAnotherFloridaGuy 1 year ago
JustAnotherFloridaGuy
"I'd like to thank Pro* as well for the short, but sweet debate."

Typing error in my last post there, sorry! It's pretty late now and I'm tired.
Posted by CapAhab 1 year ago
CapAhab
I actually can't vote, I don't have a cellphone. But there is one alternative, you may send them an email. I have not received any answer yet thought.
Vote Placed by FlamboGus 1 year ago
FlamboGus
Shaw357JustAnotherFloridaGuyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by Pro
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
Shaw357JustAnotherFloridaGuyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Shaw357JustAnotherFloridaGuyTied
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
Shaw357JustAnotherFloridaGuyTied