HoosierPapi
Yraelz

Debate.org has some serious problems, ladies and gentlemen.

Started: 3/9/2008 Category: News

HoosierPapi

Pro

Listen guys, this is a fact.

The webmaster of this webpage obsessively monitors these debates, and pays particular attention to debates that ridicule the webpage, to see what users are saying.

If a user criticizes the webmaster, creator, or anyone affiliated with the website for the way it is run and the rediculous practices employed by said people involved with this site, the comment is immediately deleted, and the user's account is deleted.

This has happened to countless individuals I have spoken to on chat groups on aol, google, yahoo, and youtube.

This isn't a rumor, or a vendetta against anyone; it is an absolute fact. The people who run this site want you to debate certain things, by their rules. If you want to debate something even slightly controversial, outside of their conservative parameters, your account is immediatley deleted. If you bring up religion in a negative light, criticize a group (particularly a conservative group), discuss sex, even in responsible ways, your account is deleted and comments erased.

This apparently happens so many times that it cannot be attributed to a few malcontents who are goofing off online. I run multiple discussion groups on the afore-mentioned websites, and this group repeatedly comes up as a source of anger, dissatisfaction, and an example of something that peaked and is now in decline, because word is spreading that the people who run the site are absurd.

This comment itself will likely be deleted, if what I hear is true. In fact, I counted how many different people I have heard comments from (two separate discussion groups about the problems associated with debate.org have been started on google and yahoo). As of right now, 22 different account names, and presumably people, have told various stories, most of them quite different, about negative experiences with this website.

If you do not play by the conservative ideals & avoid criticizing the people who run this site, even constructively, you get deleted and comments get censured, like a those in a communist nation.

I believe there are better debate websites out there; in fact, I know there are. And they have a larger following precisely because there is less censorship and appalling practice of forcing the creator's ideals on the users. and the quality of debate of other sites is not suffering because of the freedom.

I doubt this debate will survive the censorship I have been discussing; this discussion dares to question the practices employed by the people who run the website, and the quality of the site as a result of their questionable behavior.

Because the webmaster, creator, et. al. want to maintain the illusion of utopia and perfection in the conservative and predictable world they hope to maintain on this page (all in the name of preserving the "quality" of debate, which is a fallacy...see above) people are leaving the site, and it is instead being overrun with middle and high school kids who discuss pop music, trends, and similarly mundane and pointless subjects, intellectualy devoid of any original thought. This is another major complaiont of people in discussion groups elsewhere on the web.

I found it interesting enough to stop by here to see what the outcry was about. Thus far, I have found the criticisms consistent with what I have read o nthe website here. I predict a general exodus of users eventually. I find strict censorship repulsive, particularly in today's society and political culture.

Disappointing, to say the very least.
Yraelz

Con

So to begin my speech I will list the explicit rules for posting of debate.org in the ToS:

1. No use of profanities or swear words.
2. No personal attacks against other members or a member's opinions.
3. No use of racial, sexual or religious slurs.
4. No threats or implications thereof.

And thus abiding by those rules I will disprove all of my opponents opinions.

"If a user criticizes the webmaster, creator, or anyone affiliated with the website for the way it is run and the rediculous practices employed by said people involved with this site, the comment is immediately deleted, and the user's account is deleted."

>>I think this site could be much better than it is currently being run and have made my thoughts clear to the webmaster on multiple occasions. In fact I criticize the fact that the webmaster does not participate in real debates as I think it would be fun. Sadly my critiques of this site haven't resulted in my comments being banned or my account being deleted as my opponent seems to suspect. Instead they have resulted in messages from the Webmaster informing me that my ideas have been taken into consideration for the next update. Which I hear will be coming out soon.

"This isn't a rumor, or a vendetta against anyone; it is an absolute fact. The people who run this site want you to debate certain things, by their rules. If you want to debate something even slightly controversial, outside of their conservative parameters, your account is immediatley deleted. If you bring up religion in a negative light, criticize a group (particularly a conservative group), discuss sex, even in responsible ways, your account is deleted and comments erased."

>>My debates disprove this entire thought. I have debated both sides of multiple issues. I have gone conspiracy theory on 9/11, fought the Christian church twice, turned around and supported theistic satanism, advocated that we distribute AK-47's in order to maintain population control, turned around and advocated myself as an idiot, supported communism twice, argued that 1 does not actually equal 1, argued for cigarettes and guns being illegal, argued pro abortion and flag burning.

Please point me to the conservative part of those debates.... furthermore, looks at some of the current debates in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

uhhh.....?

By the way here are a couple points which I added onto a comment section for my opponent to read, but they might as well apply here.

"1. HoosierPapi completely and utterly dropped Logical-Master's point that there are debates that criticize this cite or even the webmaster personally but have remained. To extend this point I would like to bring in the ToS and ask HoosierPapi to demonstrate one user who has been wrongly banned from this site under those rules.

2. This site has 3872 members, as of latest count. The fact that 20 of those members, or perhaps former members, have voiced a dislike of this site speaks little. That actually breaks down to 1/2 of a percent. Even if I wanted to be extremely liberal and say that double that many people are dissatisfied with this site and only 1000 users actually use it, I would still be standing at 4%.

3. This site is not mandatory in the least! What is you complaining about it going to do? You have alternatives:

a. Make your own site.
b. Submit comments on how to make the site better into the comment box.
c. Do real life debate.
d. Do something you actually like to do while online.

Again I ask, what does posting this here do? If the status quo is indeed how you present it to be then what is complaining to a conservative webmaster going to do? Nothing for you doubtlessly, nothing for me, nothing for the webmaster."

I stand by all questions asked in this quote, as it was written by me in the first place on this debate's comment section, http://www.debate.org...

I would also ask that my opponent provide links to all of these discussion groups and the 20 or so persons that have complained so that we have proof they exist.

Finally a quote from my opponent,

"If you do not play by the conservative ideals & avoid criticizing the people who run this site, even constructively, you get deleted and comments get censured, like a those in a communist nation."

Please notice the word conservative coupled with the word communist. Thanks. =)
HoosierPapi

Pro

HoosierPapi forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Con

Well... Please extend all of my points into this round, I don't have anything to refute. Suppose I might post a conclusion in the third round if my opponent doesn't say anything.
HoosierPapi

Pro

HoosierPapi forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Con

Alright, second time I've been put in this position! Yay...

I feel my opponent is probably the kind of person who would wait till the last round to post his entire argument so that I will not be able to respond. I ask the voters to please disregard such an action should my opponent wish to do so.
My reasons being:

1. I have no chance to respond, this moots the point of debate.

2. Its a slimy tactic that should have a precedent set against it on debate.org.

Please extend my points, thank you.
Posted by SexyLatina 9 years ago
SexyLatina
Hoosierpapi, you should join with SexyCracker and make the ultimate team of stupid.

Man, please Mods, delete this debate. It'll be hilarious, trust me.
Posted by run-ons_maker 9 years ago
run-ons_maker
even hosier papi forfeit a couples of time he is abit right (plese don't ban me web master) so i vote you
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Maybe your opponent didn't either? :D
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
Wow that was stupid..... definitely didn't realize I was the last speaker for some reason....
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Looks like this guy was full of hot air.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"supported communism twice, argued that 1 does not actually equal 1, "

There's a difference? :D
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
Haha, funny. You obviously are describing yourself.

I don't really care what you think of me. It isn't my fault you don't know sarcasm when you see it right before your eyes :D

Really, dude, just leave. Your wasting everyone's time. Don't you have some Illuminati to go find or something? *sarcasm*
Posted by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
Scyrone, child, did I actually say that Debate.org is "banning everyone everywhere?"

Show everyone where I actually said "Debate.org Admins are becoming Nazis because they don't allow foolish, cursed people like me to be on the site"

Find precisely where I wrote "Debate.org is ... taking over the site" (a comment that does not even make sense.

Child, you would get into seriously trouble if you could ever secure any sort of job of responsibility involving writing, because makign up quotes (that do not even make sense) would get your sorry, middle school failing grammatically destroying a*s fired. That's probably why you're going to live in mommy's basement until you die.
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
HoosierPapi, it is you whom are closed minded. Conspiracy is what rules you ("Debate.org is banning everyone evrywhere and taking over the site! Debate.org Admins are becoming Nazis because they don't allow foolish, cursed people like me to be on the site").
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
"Please notice the word conservative coupled with the word communist. Thanks. =)"

Aha. Aha. Aha. xDDDDDD
Vote Placed by littlelacroix 9 years ago
littlelacroix
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by maxh 9 years ago
maxh
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by jazzyfizzle 9 years ago
jazzyfizzle
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by run-ons_maker 9 years ago
run-ons_maker
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 9 years ago
Kmille11014
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
HoosierPapiYraelzTied
Vote Placed by qwerty15ster 9 years ago
qwerty15ster
HoosierPapiYraelzTied