harrypotterfantng
RationalMadman

Debate.org is Useless in the Idea That it Changes People's Opinions

harrypotterfantng

harrypotterfantng

Pro

Allons-y!

Debate.org is useless in the idea that it changes people's opinion. Merely, it enforces whatever that person believes when he sides with people who agree with him in another debate. "...choices made by political parties are often single-minded unilateral decisions which lack freedom of thought, as they are constrained within boundaries imposed by the political parties" belief system," [1]. This is basically true on Debate.org as well. Everyone has already made up their minds as to what they believe. We are merely debating in a feeble attempt to change our opponent's mind to what we believe individually. Rarely is someone determined to have their mindset changed by some random person on the internet's argument.

It is hard to find a debate compelling enough to change one's opinion, so the arguments in a debate are only good for practicing one's ranting skills and to see how many people agree one way or another, as in the case of [2]. In this debate, it is clear that neither Pro or Con would ever change their opinion. Merely, they just wanted to see how many people thought they were right, and in this case, it seems that the user known as Danielle was the popular vote.

People are too biased to vote for someone that they do not agree with, even if his argument is better written and/or supported, as shown in the voting comments of this debate [3], where the user says that Pro's arguments were more convincing, yet he still went with the opposite opinion.

Debaters debate purely to gang up on someone of the opposite opinion or to make sure that their side of the argument is voted up. Debate.org is good for getting other people's opinion on a subject and getting a poll on how many people feel a certain way on that subject, as in the opinion and forum sections, but when it comes to the debate section, all that is good for is setting people's minds even further into their own opinion.

I peachfully await my opponent's response.

1. http://www.lemiffe.com...
2. http://www.debate.org...- in-her-same-sex-parenting-debate./1/
3. http://www.debate.org...
RationalMadman

Con

If Debate.org is useless at changing people's opinions then it probably wil change people's opinions on how strongly they held those opinions because they probably realise it only when on debate.org.
harrypotterfantng

Pro

Are you saying that they will realize how deeply they feel about their opinion? I suppose so.

I have nothing more to say until my opponent makes an argument.
RationalMadman

Con

Inherently if Debate.org is useless in the idea that it changes people's opinions in and of themselves (which is only subjectively falsifiable) then it objectively has forced people debating those opinions to change their opinion on the OPPOSITE opinion. What I mean is this:

Why do strangers come here? To meet with people of opposing and similar views (yes BOTH).
They want to both feel enemies and brotherhood-type gang mentality because that's what human nature is all about.
To feel close you need people similar to you, but also need an opposing gang.
Outside of DDO the real world is really very politically correct and raising arguments is somewhat taboo in daily life, so people never really have a conscious opinion on many things, they often come here to CHANGE THEIR NEUTRALITIES into STRONG EDUCATED VIEWS.
harrypotterfantng

Pro

I completely agree with your statement. DDO allows people to go past the boundary of political correctness and share their views, giving them an idea of where they stand on things. DDO is good for that, but that is not what this debate is about. This debate is discussing the idea that Debate.org is useless at CHANGING those people's opinions. It does a perfectly good job at making debaters more opinionated, as you mentioned, but not at making those opinions different based on their debate with an opponent.

Admittedly, someone could be looking through someone's debate, reading a passage from someone of the opposite opinion's argument, and think, "Huh, I haven't thought of it that way." But when someone is doing their own debate, he is determined to prove the other person wrong, not to try and find a reason to change his opinion on a subject. One is too busy coming up with ways to back up his stance to think about if the other person's argument might be just as good, if not better, than his.

Do you believe that DDO is full of people willing to have their opinions changed by random strangers on the internet?
RationalMadman

Con

It is a commonly held opinion by many non-debaters that they 'lack an opinion' on matters. DDO is a beautifully well constructed mechanism of enabling people to change their opinion of how strongly they held their opinion in the first place. IT often changes the neutral average Joe into a Neo-Nazi (Anti-Atheist for example) in the blink of an eye.

While it might not change one's opinion (It didn't change my passionate sexual infatuation with socialism and all socialists of history oh Marxy babe xoxo) it inevitably will make one change their opinion of how STRONGLY they held that view.
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
I want to say that I agree with you guys about how reading a debate can sometimes change one's opinion. All I wanted to get across is that when I am debating with someone, I am not out to get my opinion on the matter changed. I am out to prove them wrong.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
My views have changed immensely from joining this site. I'd still probably be a Conservative, Christian Creationist if it weren't for ddo. Many others have changed to. Sentiments like pros really annoy me because they're just false.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
A lot of people's views have changed and evolved as a result of DDO, including mine.
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Contra changed his views a lot.
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
2. http://www.debate.org...

This resource was typed down wrong. Sorry!
Vote Placed by Chuz-Life 4 years ago
Chuz-Life
harrypotterfantngRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro pretty much conceded in R1 that "Rarely is someone determined to have their mindset changed by some random person on the internet's argument." and in R3 "Admittedly, someone could be looking through someone's debate, reading a passage from someone of the opposite opinion's argument, and think, "Huh, I haven't thought of it that way."" I agree with PRO that it is rare and unlikely. However, that doesn't prove to his assertion that it is "useless."
Vote Placed by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
harrypotterfantngRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't care what others think. Pro had horrible arguments that were refuted and he admitted it.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
harrypotterfantngRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ive personally seen DDO change people's opinions numerous times and I myself have had my opinions changed from DDO. But Con just screwed around and didnt even care to debate so arguments go to the pro.
Vote Placed by LaL36 4 years ago
LaL36
harrypotterfantngRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct because after pro made a nice long argument, con responded with a short one and disregarded it. Sources because he actually provided a source. Just a note to pro about the topic, there were many votes I have seen but I can't remember when where the voter agreed with one side before the debate and after the debate it was tied or after the debate the voter agreed with other side look at votes I'm sure you will find some.