normivey
normivey2

Debate.org is a good educational tool to use in middle school.

normivey
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

normivey

Pro

Debate.org is an online tool that allows users to begin a debate, choose an opponent, argue for or against a thesis, and then receive feedback from an authentic audience of users from around the world. Middle school students would benefit from this tool because it promotes critical thinking.
normivey2

Con

Debate.org will serve no purpose for middle school students. Everyone knows these students are interested only in the latest pop culture titillation. No 12-year-old would ever take the time to thoughtfully compose an argument about the merits of the Southern states seceding from the Union at the start of of the Civil War, for example.
normivey

Pro

Your opinion of middle school students puzzles me. As an educator of 25 years, my experience has shown me that many middle school students do take a real interest in academic subjects--especially when given the opportunity to express their views in an authentic environment like that of debate.org. One feature that is especially valuable is that it gives students time to reflect on what their opponent has expressed, and to carefully craft a response without the need to reply extemporaneously.
normivey2

Con

I, too, have been an educator for 25 years, and I know that when you place technology in front of a bunch of adolescents, all they want to do is chat, download music and look up pictures of shoes and cars. Their arguments will all be copy-and-paste from Wikipedia. Trying to engage them in a thoughtful debate on debate.org is a waste of time.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Figured that was the intent, and I doubt anyone would be bothered by it.

I am new around the site, others may have more to say, but I will make a few points.

1) There are a number of students on the site. The age range is from teens to...
2) There was a debate assignment given out to students recently, asking them to use the site. It turned into a mess. Not the concept, but that there were 50+ debates with all the same resolution. I would suggest you contact this guy airmax1227 via message and ask him the proper format for assignments like that.
3) Its a serious site for the most part. There are, like any place, some things to know.
* some nasty people. Some crazy.
* Some just adult conversations.
* Religion is a common debate topic. It seems to get some Christians red hot when someone exposes them to this sort of discussion.

You should be aware before pointing students at any site. Just letting you know.

4) Common debate formats. Read some of the debates to get a feel for how that works.
5) Teach the students how to build a resolution, and what side they are on. I see lots of poor questions, and TOO MUCH of people not understanding what Pro and Con are in relation to their question.
Posted by normivey 2 years ago
normivey
I apologize for violating the TOS. I am a Technology Coach in a middle school. I am intrigued by the possibility of using debate.org in our classrooms. The expectation is that when I introduce a tool to them, I should have a basic understanding of how it works, so I set up the two accounts so I could follow the process.

Yes, I would like real votes.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I suspect this is for your students? It is a violation of the TOS to have two accounts, but it was nice seeing the alter-ego.

Want real votes?
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR

Want real votes?
Vote Placed by John95 2 years ago
John95
normiveynormivey2
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides have very good arguments for and against.
Vote Placed by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
normiveynormivey2
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Both pro and con made subjective arguments only. Neither provide sources to back their position. Spelling and grammar was equal ;) Cons argument was unnecessarily derogatory. Debate goes to Pro.