blond_guy
SolaGratia

Debate.org should end all censorship on the site.

blond_guy

Pro

Here is some proof of censorship on debate.org:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

So, first of all, if they want to censor out specific parts they can do that. But canceling a debate? If someone feels they are losing a debate they could just start cursing like there's no tomorrow and get it canceled. Furthermore, the people on debate.org should be mature enough to handle some graphic or "offensive" language if it's proving a point. Anybody disagree? Any takers?
SolaGratia

Con

I don't know what the current censorship policy is on debate.org exactly, but removing ALL censorship would not be beneficial, and would certainly reduce the quality of debates going on.

Your main objection to censorship is bad language, I assume. Personally, I don't have a problem with minor profanity, but when it gets really bad I draw the line.

My ideal solution would be a system where people who disliked a debate would have an option to vote "remove debate" somewhere on the debate page. A server would keep track of a certain number, say twenty, and then delete the debate after review by a debate.org employee or something.

How does that sound?

I'm loath to remove all censorship because, let's face it, there are idiotic debates out there, and my idea would, I think, perfect the voting system and make this site a true democracy, so to speak. Let's be honest: there are debates on here that are not suitable for the ten- and eleven-year-old members I've seen in the lists, such as:

(http://www.debate.org...)
(http://www.debate.org...)

If someone knew they were losing a debate, that would seem to imply that all the arguments were made and that it was in voting. Therefore, they would be cursing in the comments, and comments are easily removed.

So, what do you think?
blond_guy

Pro

"If someone knew they were losing a debate, that would seem to imply that all the arguments were made and that it was in voting. Therefore, they would be cursing in the comments, and comments are easily removed."

No, some people can just tell when another has a better argument or when they're convinced. I could send out random challenges and if my opponent doesn't forfeit the round, that's it! I go cursing like crazy in my next argument and it's out of the way!

<>

That could cause people to vote to remove the debate if the side they like has the least votes.

<>

Well people should have the right to debate what they want. What I propose is for these debates to be "flagged" instead of deleting. Meaning, when you click to view the debate, you will have to go through a window that warns you that it contains offensive language or some arguments depict graphic images.
How does that not solve the problem?
SolaGratia

Con

You say:

"Well people should have the right to debate what they want. What I propose is for these debates to be "flagged" instead of deleting. Meaning, when you click to view the debate, you will have to go through a window that warns you that it contains offensive language or some arguments depict graphic images.
How does that not solve the problem?"

"Flagging" debates IS censorship, and if that's what you believe, than you have deviated from your thesis and I have won. "Flagging" a debate is like censorship based on personal preferences, but it IS still censorship.

That could work, actually, but I stand by my quota system. If we set the quota at 20, that would pretty much make it tamper-proof, because if you have 20 people who aren't happy with the result, than you can tip back the scale of the debate. I've never seen a debate with more than a 20-vote margin.

And you say that people would try to delete a debate simply because they're losing. While, that could happen, but if I was running this site, I'd still put it in the Win/Lose stats, even if it was deleted.

You say:

<>

That may be true, but it would still take twenty votes to delete it. And, I just had another brainwave: arguments should be screened for offensive language by a computer before ever being posted. I've seen this on other sites. I mean, I can stand a few "Hells" and "Damns" but if it gets any hotter than that, ot insulting, than it should be deleted.

In summary, "ending all censorship on the site" would be a bad idea. It would lead to a lower debate quality and make it possible for a select few members to run roughshod over the rest of us.

This is really a personal issue for me, because I have myself been a victim of this over-the-net personal insulting. A Harry Potter forum I write in (http://www.amazon.com...)
was spammed TWICE by someone we dubbed a "troll" who was abusive, insulting, and generally unpleasant. The forum basically shut down because people didn't want to put up with that crap. Finally, after a few weeks, I emailed the people who ran the forum (it was on Amazon.com) and after a few MORE weeks they took care of the problem. THEN it happened again. But seriously, that is what happens when ALL censorship is removed.

Thanks for the debate, blond guy.

Sola Gratia
Posted by British_Guy 9 years ago
British_Guy
Censorship can be a bad thing - One of my favorite books, Ray Bradbury's classic story Fahrenheit 451 told the story of a man living in a world that had been completely destroyed and driven near to madness.

I am totally opposed to a world where people are not free to express their opinions. But censorship of obscene language doesn't inhibit you from getting your point across. In fact, obscene language can turn off your opponent and your potential judges by making you look somewhat immature. (Which is unfair to you, the debater.)

Censorship serves a purpose. I vote Con.
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
well, i didn't read the debate so i didn't judge but i definatly don't want the censorship removed because it is currently unblocked at my school and i want it to stay that way
Posted by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
Listen guys, this is a fact.

The webmaster of this webpage obsessively monitors these debates, and pays particular attention to debates that ridicule the webpage, to see what users are saying.

If a user criticizes the webmaster, creator, or anyone affiliated with the website for the way it is run and the rediculous practices employed by said people involved with this site, the comment is immediately deleted, and the user's account is deleted.

This has happened to countless individuals I have spoken to on chat groups on aol, google, yahoo, and youtube.

This isn't a rumor, or a vendetta against anyone; it is an absolute fact. The people who run this site want you to debate certain things, by their rules. If you want to debate something even slightly controversial, outside of their conservative parameters, your account is immediatley deleted. If you bring up religion in a negative light, criticize a group (particularly a conservative group), discuss sex, even in responsible ways, your account is deleted and comments erased.

This apparently happens so many times that it cannot be attributed to a few malcontents who are goofing off online. I run multiple discussion groups on the afore-mentioned websites, and this group repeatedly comes up as a source of anger, dissatisfaction, and an example of something that peaked and is now in decline, because word is spreading that the people who run the site are absurd.

This comment itself will likely be deleted, if what I hear is true. In fact, I counted how many different people I have heard comments from (two separate discussion groups about the problems associated with debate.org have been started on google and yahoo). As of right now, 22 different account names, and presumably people, have told various stories, most of them quite different, about negative experiences with this website.

If you do not play by the conservative ideals & avoid criticizing the people who run this site, you get deleted.
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
The fact of the matter is that this club called Debate.org is owned by Webcorp, LLC. The rules and regulations are posted and are supposedly read by the potential new member who indicates that, as a part of membership, he or she agrees to abide by them.

You see the site and like it. You read the rules and say "OK." You fill out the form and become a member and then begin to want to change the very rules that you agreed to. How self-centered and egotistical is that?

In my line of work we call it the disease of entitlement.

The fact of the matter is that the owners of this site are always willing to listen to constructive ideas and have changed, or are anticipating making changes, based upon user feedback. Having said that, since they own it, they control it. We are merely guests.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
I'm not too sure. I think censorship is bad, sure, but if people are like, just profanity round in round out, it should by all means be taken off the site.
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by British_Guy 9 years ago
British_Guy
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by PeaceFinger 9 years ago
PeaceFinger
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by out_n_proud_HINDU 9 years ago
out_n_proud_HINDU
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by claypigeon 9 years ago
claypigeon
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
blond_guySolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
blond_guySolaGratiaTied