claypigeon
DaPofoKing

Debate.org should have an ignore list

Started: 3/3/2008 Category: Technology

claypigeon

Pro

I, like others go to this site as a way to browse debates/topics in the effort of learning about debates/topics. Sometimes we participate in our own debates. The key here is that we go to this site to learn. Recently I have observed many debate.org debaters either purposefully forfeiting rounds or abandoning debates or not even responding to the arguments made in the opening speech. This turns into a waste of time for people like me who really want to learn about a broad array of topics.

I advocate adding an ignore list that applies to debates you post (so these ignorees cannot choose to debate you in the challenge period) and/or that applies to the viewable debates (so we do not have to waste ten minutes reading the speeches to realize there no actual clash).

I look forward to a rebuttal.
DaPofoKing

Con

My opponent is advocatig debate.org to be like myspace so we can block people we dont like. The problem with this is that debates are for the public and the public have the option to debate or not you cannot hinder someone from debating because you dont ike here style of debate.
claypigeon

Pro

I think this debate will come down to deciding whether the benefits of not debating certain people outweigh the possible costs associated with an ignore list.

My opponent argues that "debates are for the public and the public have the option to debate or not".

Debates on this sight is chiefly for the debaters. As I mentioned in my opening argument, people come to this site in order to practice their debate skills and to learn. There are many active debaters on this site who fail to meet deadlines. I'd say about 1/4 of the debates I see have at least one round forfeited. This ruins the structure of the debate and the fairness of it and it impedes education.

There is also plenty of variance in the skill levels of debaters here. Some people don't read the other debater's point and there is no clash, while some elucidate every sentence and provide several definitions per topic. One cannot learn much as far as debating skills go if there is no clash. One cannot learn many intellectual facts if evidence is not presented. One also cannot respond effectively to debates if the opponent has thought out their position much longer than you have.

Much like debate organizations have novice and varsity levels for these competitive reasons, debate.org can have an ignore list that solves many of these problems.

If an exact site like this was put up that had an ignore list I am sure many members would migrate over there as these no shows are very annoying and anti educational. I love this site and I hope that it can implement features that keep it up and make it better.
DaPofoKing

Con

DaPofoKing forfeited this round.
claypigeon

Pro

Out of fairness I won't say anything new but debate.org states that "Your argument must be at least 100 characters in length." so perhaps I found a new topic to debate.
DaPofoKing

Con

DaPofoKing forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"If you want to debate something even slightly controversial, outside of their conservative parameters, your account is immediatley deleted."

How is my account still around? :P
Posted by Darth_Grievous_42 9 years ago
Darth_Grievous_42
How ironic. DaPofoKing essential just proved claypigeon's point by not responding. I agree with claypigeon in some respects, but not on the ignore list. I think instead, debaters who agree to take on subjects but fail to respond should get a warning flag on them. Then if they accept more challenges, the instigator can choose whether or not they want that person debating.
Posted by SolaGratia 9 years ago
SolaGratia
Un. Believable. This site isn't even six months old, and it has its own conspiracy theorists. HoosierPapi, may I humbly suggest that you take a deep, cleansing breath and calm down. You have spoken against, "the administration," and yet you are still here and probably hopping mad.
Posted by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
Listen guys, this is a fact.

The webmaster of this webpage obsessively monitors these debates, and pays particular attention to debates that ridicule the webpage, to see what users are saying.

If a user criticizes the webmaster, creator, or anyone affiliated with the website for the way it is run and the rediculous practices employed by said people involved with this site, the comment is immediately deleted, and the user's account is deleted.

This has happened to countless individuals I have spoken to on chat groups on aol, google, yahoo, and youtube.

This isn't a rumor, or a vendetta against anyone; it is an absolute fact. The people who run this site want you to debate certain things, by their rules. If you want to debate something even slightly controversial, outside of their conservative parameters, your account is immediatley deleted. If you bring up religion in a negative light, criticize a group (particularly a conservative group), discuss sex, even in responsible ways, your account is deleted and comments erased.

This apparently happens so many times that it cannot be attributed to a few malcontents who are goofing off online. I run multiple discussion groups on the afore-mentioned websites, and this group repeatedly comes up as a source of anger, dissatisfaction, and an example of something that peaked and is now in decline, because word is spreading that the people who run the site are absurd.

This comment itself will likely be deleted, if what I hear is true. In fact, I counted how many different people I have heard comments from (two separate discussion groups about the problems associated with debate.org have been started on google and yahoo). As of right now, 22 different account names, and presumably people, have told various stories, most of them quite different, about negative experiences with this website.

If you do not play by the conservative ideals & avoid criticizing the people who run this site, you get deleted.
Posted by birdpiercefan3334 9 years ago
birdpiercefan3334
PoFOKing:

Debate is not the way PoFo is done. It stresses speaking style more than actual argument. I know. I've done PoFo before. It wasn't fun. We killed our opp., but because their style was more lighthearted and Great Debater-ish, they won! I a way, this is what you are trying to do in your speeches. Try to create more clash, turn, and impacts in your speeches in order to persuade an LD debater like me.
Posted by claypigeon 9 years ago
claypigeon
Hi again. Thanks for the encouragement.
Posted by birdpiercefan3334 9 years ago
birdpiercefan3334
claypigeon, i believe you have very strong arguments. Remember me from Obama? Yeah, I believe so far, you have persuaded me more than DaPoFoKing.
Posted by SolaGratia 9 years ago
SolaGratia
That could certainly work. Good topic!
Vote Placed by birdpiercefan3334 9 years ago
birdpiercefan3334
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by aodanu16 9 years ago
aodanu16
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by twinkiesunite 9 years ago
twinkiesunite
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 9 years ago
Kmille11014
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by sccrplyr40 9 years ago
sccrplyr40
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by dkerwi8993 9 years ago
dkerwi8993
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by claypigeon 9 years ago
claypigeon
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied
Vote Placed by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
claypigeonDaPofoKingTied