0 Points should not endorse any political party or argument

Started: 3/6/2014 Category: News

One of the advertisements I saw said to endorse senate democrats in their pushing of a minimum wage hike. Another one I saw stated that we needed to stop republicans from blocking that hike. Whether you agree with the minimum wage hike or not, I think that this website should be used as means for us to argue amongst ourselves, not for them to try to forge our opinions. We should be the ones campaigning for certain arguments, not the website developers.

Thanks for creating this debate. It should be interesting. I also want to thank you for not using Ad block (If you did, you would not know about the ads). It keeps the site free.

First of all, I want to say that I will argue that DDO should use be able to use politically charged advertising, not that they should directly support a political view.

DDO, from time to time, does have politically charged ads. Let's look at the facts here. DDO is free[1]. It uses advertisements. Advertisements are generally made to appeal to the viewers [2]. If DDO did not use ads, it would likely resort to a paid membership, decreasing the user base. This helps create a more diverse debating environment. To make these ads effective, they have to appeal to audience. Therefore, DDO sometimes has ads that are politically charged. They spark interest on the website. They also have non-politically charged ads, so we can see that the political ones are not meant to be endorsements. They are simply a way to make money for providing a free service.

These ads don't forge our opinions. Obviously you don't think that the minimum wage hike is a good idea, or else you wouldn't be so angry about the ads.

There isn't much else to say. DDO needs money, so they put ads on the site. Even if these ads are biased, they are necessary to keep DDO free.

I agree with you on the idea of having having ads to prevent a paid membership, but I am going to quote one of the advertisements that I have seen.

"GOP Attacking Working Families. Tell John Boehner to extend unemployment insurance. Sign the online petition."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't against a minimum wage hike, but frankly I would go even more explosive if the ad said to block the push for the hike. I will also admit that I have no idea of what the details are for the unemployment insurance. What I am saying is that this is obviously endorsing the Democratic Party. I think that this is very blatantly an endorsement. There is no way that the GOP would be stupid enough to not follow the Democrats onto a debating website like this and NOT outbid Toyota.

I apologize for kind of creating a new argument here too. In your last argument, you said and I quote, "to make these ads effective, they have to appeal to audience." The audience on this website would be all of the people who actively use the site. The advertisement I quoted earlier also called for viewers to sign their petition. If a call to action asking people to participate in these partisan activities is what "appeals to the audience" then the audience must have a decent sized majority that agrees with that party. If most of the people are on the same side, what is the point of creating a website where people argue with each other? Why not just create site that says to agree with your party?

Thanks for participating in this debate. This is my first one, so tell me how I did.

Ad appeal to an audience is very tricky. This site is basically people who are either trolls or people legitimately interested in debating. These people who like to debate generally know a thing or two about politics [I don't need a source for this; look at the sidebar. As I'm writing this, there are 7,658 debates on politics]. People who know about politics will usually agree with or be outraged by political ads, and that makes people click on ads.

These ads are not endorsements. They are ads. If DDO wanted to endorse a political view, than they would not put ads in the sidebars. You see ads like this on any site you go to that has ads. DDO is expected to have ads if they want a free website. These ads are the best way to make money.

I will not make arguments this round, since it is the last.

Thanks for an interesting debate. You did a good job, but remember that people give points for sources and spelling. You are also the first person who actually finished a debate with me. Thanks again for a fun debate.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
I'm on my I-phone. Mostly, I get an advertisement for something called capital debate.
Posted by Zhege 2 years ago
@Wylted - They could sell advertisement space to Republicans or Independent parties. Unless Con can prove that they aren't being politically biased (something other than Democratic), then right now the assumption is that they are endorsing.

I can't see any of the ads due to my blockers, but if the ads are purely Democratic, then I agree with Pros position.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Looking forward to reading both of your arguments.
Posted by Senatus 2 years ago
My argument is coming. I will respond directly to Pro saying that DDO should not have ads with any political bias.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
There is a difference between endorsing something and selling advertisement space.