Altilongitude
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Debate.org voting prerequisite of three completed debates

AlwaysMoreThanYou

Altilongitude

Con

In order to vote in a debate on this site, one needs to have had three debates himself or herself. I am arguing that this requirement should not exist. The contender needs to argue that there should be a requirement of completed debates (the number does not matter) for voting.

Simply, one does not have to have debated to evaluate a debate. In the American presidential debates, the public is polled on the victors of each contest. This makes sense. As logical beings, people can analyze and make determinations of the arguments set before them. One does not need debate experience to do this.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Pro

For starters, I would like to welcome my opponent to DDO. Welcome!

I will be arguing that at least five debates should be completed for voting.

Rebuttals:

Con writes "Simply, one does not have to have debated to evaluate a debate."

I agree.

Arguments:

Contention One: Legitimacy of Voters

I could right now make a phony account for this site, get it verified, and vote for myself on every debate. The only obstacle is that I would have to complete three debates first.

Those three debates would require at least some investment of time on my behalf. I could just make three one-round debates where I make one-line arguments, but that would immediately draw suspicion to me.

The three debates requirement helps deter illegitimate accounts, and while it does not do that perfectly, it does help.

This also applies to people who show up for a day, start an account, and then never come back. If they could immediately verify their account, it is not improbable that some of them would vote, and that their votes would be very biased. Not everyone who visits DDO is automatically an expert on debate, and it stands to reason that letting everyone and their grandma vote with every new account they make would lead to some very unfair votes.

Contention Two: DEBATE.org

This site is debate.org. If you intend to be a member on this site, it stands to reason that you will debate. If all you want to do is read debates, you don't need to be a member on this site. If you want to be a full-fledged member, you should debate.

At any rate, while you don't have to have debated to evaluate a debate, having debated helps educate you on how debates work. It helps you notice things like dropped arguments, concessions, strawmen, etc. etc.

Since a brand new account could be a master debater or it could be a twelve year old boy who stumbled across this site, it makes sense to force everyone to debate a few debates before voting. That way, it can be insured that everyone has at least a very basic understanding of debate.

Altilongitude

Con

Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it.

The legitimacy of voters argument is persuasive. What does Debate.org gain from having the requirement in place? The defense against voter fraud. What does it lose? More input and the ability of some to participate in the voting process. In the end, I think the pro outweighs the con and I come to agree that there should be a completed debates requirement.

I also agree that taken holistically, a community of devoted debaters is less biased than those outside the community. Debaters are accustomed to evaluating the merits of arguments and thus, would be less likely to pick a side unconditionally.

I disagree with your second contention, though.

You wrote, "If you intend to be a member on this site, it stands to reason that you will debate." There is certainly a high chance that the member would debate. However, there may be some who would just read and evaluate debates. They should not be barred from voting because they do not choose to partake in debate themselves.

I forfeit this debate because I came to agree that there should be a completed debates requirement to protect against voter fraud.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Pro

Alrighty then.

First argument conceded.

I will defend my second argument just because there's still one round left, and I might as well continue.

Rebuttals:

Con writes "They should not be barred from voting because they do not choose to partake in debate themselves."

The problem is, it ranges from exceptionally difficult to impossible to judge the ability of a random member who has never engaged in a debate. While I agree that some people may, without debating here, have good judgement when it comes to voting, no one can be sure without seeing them in action.

Vote for me, but give Con CONduct.
Altilongitude

Con

Altilongitude forfeited this round.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Pro

Don't give Con CONduct after all.

He forfeited on me.

Anyhow, extend all arguments, note concession, note forfeit, and vote for me.
Vote Placed by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
AltilongitudeAlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Vote Placed by annanicole 4 years ago
annanicole
AltilongitudeAlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by con..
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
AltilongitudeAlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by GenesisCreation 4 years ago
GenesisCreation
AltilongitudeAlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture