aarongolbin
Capitalistslave

Debate.org vs DebateIsland.com

Capitalistslave

aarongolbin

Pro

I believe that DebateIsland.com is a better Debate platform. It has a better UI, they listen to your feedback and it's a simpler, better experience!
Capitalistslave

Con

I would like my opponent to explain what a UI is. I'm not sure what this acronym stands for.

I think debate.org is better, based on what I'm looking at debateisland.com because debate.org has actual debates. If you go to debateisland.com, these don't seem like actual debates. Almost everyone just posts a sentence or two for a given topic and that's it. For example, go to this "debate" on the website[1] and look through others, they're all like that. That's not a debate, that's just stating a general overview of your opinion. A debate is when two people get together, and discuss the pros and cons of something through evidence. Each opponent would also directly respond to what others bring up, but their format doesn't support that idea.

I mean, when it comes to looking for a debating website, I don't think any beats debate.org when it comes to idea of responding to what your opponent says, the guidelines that a person should generally offer points and evidence rather than just stating their opinion, etc. Almost everyone on DDO does this.

Also, debates generally have people vote on the specific points and deciding who won. While there is voting going on at debateisland, none of it is voting on who brought up better points, and I think this also discourages people from offering up quality arguments, since they're not held liable to do so. Their voting system is more similar to the polls we have here on DDO. If anything, their website should be called pollingisland, because that's all that seems to be there is polls, not debates.

[1] http://debateisland.com...;
aarongolbin

Pro

UI is user interface (Design)
DebateIsland.com is much simpler than debate.org. You can quickly create a debate, and have fun doing so. Try it out, you'll have fun doing so. If you prefer more complicated, bad UI debate websites, than debateisland.com may not be for you.
Capitalistslave

Con

Ah, I suppose the UI is simpler there, but I think that's because they only offer one type of thing: which is the equivalent of polls on here. They don't have a debate platform that debate.org and other sites have. When you offer multiple things, such as a forum, polls, and debates like ddo does, it's bound to become more complicated with the UI, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because then that means there are more options for what one can do on here. You could debate, vote on a poll, or hang out in the forums.
aarongolbin

Pro

DebateIsland.com has a beautiful, modern, retina design. They support debates with polls. It provides a simple and fun experience that is not complicated unlike Debate.org.
Capitalistslave

Con

Well, like I said, ddo might only be a little more complicated because it offers more things. If all you're interested in is voting on polls, then debateisland would be for you, but if you want to do more than that, then DDO is much better.

I believe I have won this debate because I have offered my own arguments and rebuttals to my opponent's arguments. My opponent didn't offer any rebuttals to my arguments.
Posted by Capitalistslave 11 months ago
Capitalistslave
Also, my source somehow got a semi-colon added onto it. I notice this happens to a lot of people on here because when you press space after posting a link, it does this.

Here is the link without the semi-colon(or it should be without it since I didn't press space after it here)

http://debateisland.com...
Posted by Capitalistslave 11 months ago
Capitalistslave
Oh, I made the mistake of confusing acronym with initialism, but what I said should be clear enough. Technically UI would be an initialism, not an acronym.
Posted by aarongolbin 12 months ago
aarongolbin
It's a really good website, it more simple than Debate.org, better UI etc. Also, they are much newer than Debate.org, so they listen to what you have to say. They have a fast growing and responding community. I posted a Debate the other day, in 2 minutes 5 people were debating. They also listen to your feedback when you contact them from email and contact for on debateisland.com! they will try to improve on what you say. When I emailed they improved it. Finally, you should try it out and debate, tell me what you think possibly.
Posted by Phenenas 12 months ago
Phenenas
Never heard of it, but I'll try it out! Unless DebateIsland.com is infested with creationist nutjobs, run by incompetent monkeys, and allows anyone to glitch a debate into a permanent stalemate by simply not responding, it's a step up from Debate.org.
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
No, and i'm trolling it.
Vote Placed by Rational_Thinker9119 11 months ago
Rational_Thinker9119
aarongolbinCapitalistslaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con engaged in Pro's argument more and showed that even though the other website was simpler; this website is better with more features.
Vote Placed by ChadIrvin 11 months ago
ChadIrvin
aarongolbinCapitalistslaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD - Con made more convincing arguments, mainly because he actually attempted to debate, while pro seemed to just carry on a conversation without much debate at all. Con's argument seemed more genuine, while pro's "argument" seemed like it would fit better in the "forums" section.