Debatemenow
RainbowDash52

Debates are an unreliable source of truth.

Debatemenow

Pro

First round is for acceptance.
RainbowDash52

Con

Debatemenow

Pro

In debates, what occurs is that one contender states his/her argument while the other states his/hers witch contradicts the statement of the first debater. The first debater then does the same in an attempt to makes a stand for his/her argument. What the debaters are doing is making each of their stand look good and finding faults in what the opposition is fighting for, not looking for the truth. That is the purpose of debates, that is why people debate, to destroy the opposition and make their side look correct.

Proof of this shall be presented, but not by me, but by the opposition, which is the con.
RainbowDash52

Con

My opponent is arguing that debates are an unreliable source of truth. Since this is a debate, my opponent is arguing that this debate is an unreliable source of truth, thus my opponent is arguing that what he is arguing in this debate is an unreliable source of truth. Since my opponent is arguing that his arguments are an unreliable source of truth, my opponent's arguments can't be considered a reliable source of truth, thus can't fulfill his burden of proof.

My opponent is mistaken when saying that proof shall be presented by me, because the burden of proof is on the instigator unless stated otherwise in the first round.
Debatemenow

Pro

The argument below will prove that my argument in the first round of debate stands firm.

'My opponent is mistaken when saying that proof shall be presented by me, because the burden of proof is on the instigator unless stated otherwise in the first round.'

The statement above is clearly false because by saying: My opponent is arguing... He has proven my point: In debates, what occurs is that one contender states his/her argument while the other states his/hers witch contradicts the statement of the first debater. The first debater then does the same in an attempt to makes a stand for his/her argument. What the debaters are doing is making each of their stand look good and finding faults in what the opposition is fighting for, not looking for the truth.

The opposition says that what I am arguing in this debate is an unreliable source of truth. He says: "My opponent is arguing that debates are an unreliable source of truth. Since this is a debate, my opponent is arguing that this debate is an unreliable source of truth, thus my opponent is arguing that what he is arguing in this debate is an unreliable source of truth." By saying that, he is agreeing to my point that debates are an unreliable source of truth. My opponent went at it the wrong way when he made his argument in the second round. What I am trying to say is that my point in the first round is that debates are an unreliable way to search for truth because the debaters are not really trying to look for the truth when debating, but are only trying to make their side look good. My opponent is saying that me saying that debates are an unreliable source of truth is equivalent to me saying that what the debaters are saying is wrong. What my opponent thinks what i am saying is not what I am saying.

RainbowDash52

Con

I am not necessarily arguing that this debate is an unreliable source of truth. I am arguing that if this is an unreliable source of truth, then my opponent can't prove debates are an unreliable source of truth because his arguments are unreliable, and if this is a reliable source of truth, then it is not the case that debates are an unreliable source of truth and I am correct and my opponent can't prove his/her claim. So whether or not debates are an unreliable source of truth, it is impossible for my opponent to fulfill the burden of proof for his claim.

No I am not saying my opponent is saying is necessarily wrong if his claim is true, just that my opponent's arguments would be unreliable which means there is a reasonable chance he/she is wrong, which means his/her claim is not fulfilling burden of proof.
Debatemenow

Pro

Debates are unreliable sources of truth because the contenders contradict each others statements, no matter how smart ones argument is the other guy will probably contradict that with another smart sounding argument. Isn't all the debates out there enough proof. Sure there are those debates that seem that is a reliable source of truth, that's because the skill of the debaters are not match.
RainbowDash52

Con

Just because both sides of a debate only care about winning, doesn't mean that the result is inaccurate. And just because I contradict my opponent, doesn't mean this debate is unreliable. If one side makes a mistake, the other correcting makes the debate a more reliable because misinformation gets corrected. Many sources of information are biased to one side of an issue, but when there are 2 people debate an issue, both sides get represented, thus making debates more reliable.
Debatemenow

Pro

No they are not corrected, they just say things to make the opposition look bad. Because of this people are misinformed and are decieved.
RainbowDash52

Con

I have said everything I wish to say and have nothing more to add.
Posted by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
Next time, that is.
Posted by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
Well, extend the debate time then so you can adjust :P
Posted by Debatemenow 2 years ago
Debatemenow
Too much arguing I am literraly physically tired right now.
By now I mean the time I posted my argument on r5