jennifer4861rivera
DeeAnn

Debating on Debate.com

DeeAnn

jennifer4861rivera

Pro

We should not debate whether or not My Little Pony is for homosexual, or any to that reference, we should be debating other issues that are more significant.
"Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls."
I agree with this statement, but what I have seen so far, debates about my little ponies isn't an intellectual debate.
DeeAnn

Con

My opponent appears to have only three definite opinions stated in their argument:

We should not debate whether or not My Little Pony is for homosexuals
(because) we should be debating other issues that are more significant
(because) a debate about My Little Pony isn't intellectual

Though it may be claimed that My Little Pony was merely an example, I have no reason to believe so as of right now. All I have to refute is those three opinions, but realistically only one because it is the reason behind her other points.

Pro: A debate about MLP isn't intellectual

First of all, although "Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate", that is merely a saying. Ever heard the quote, "Don't quote me on this"? That means that people don't have a definitive, strong opinion on a certain case, and is not to be carefully examined. Kind of a like a poet, who may not have intended to have their work scrutinized to the bare minimum, yet because of their decorated status, a high school classroom may try to brainstorm some unintentional ideas that might apply to the poem. People don't wish to choose their words like a merchant at a market all the time, and it would be uncourteous to hold somebody for a lax sentence that had no intended further meaning.

However, the terms of service is a carefully published set of words, as the owner would not want to have people find loopholes in the rules and get away with stuff right? Though I currently have no proof of this, a quick comment from TUF would be nice. The terms of service are found here--> http://www.debate.org... nowhere does it explicitly state "you must have an intellectual debate" or "you must research today's controversies".

In fact, as I type this argument, there is a list of debate topics on the side bar, with Entertainment, Funny, and Games amongst them. If these were subtopics, then it cannot be intentional unless you want to argue to possibility of accidentally coding something and not changing it long enough for over 3000 debates to be created. It may not be stated, but like I said before, don't take a slight statement too seriously. It is a place for intelligent minds to converse, but it did not say what it is not. And that, is the type of evidence a person who claims something is not or not for something else should have.

And with that, we have the other two opinions unbacked. An unbacked opinion cannot stand on it's own and is worth nothing.
jennifer4861rivera

Pro

If people wanted to debate about unimportant ideas then they should do that else where. Has this website always been this way? I don't think so, it must have changed to accommodate for the general public's other debates. Why would people want to debate about things such as MLP. It didn't resolve anything nor does it have an effect on the general public because most will not bother to see it.
Debating about unimportant subjects is just waste of time.
Also, how many poets do you know?
How do you know that the poet might have done an unintentional idea that high school students need to ascertain?
If the creators of the website didn't put to have intellectual debates, then it could have been implied, or they wouldn't have posted a quote on the home page of own website.
DeeAnn

Con

Most of my opponents arguments are fallacious, as quoted below:

"Has this website always been this way?I don't think so, it must have changed to accommodate for the general public's other debates."

First of all, this is just a guess, not a cited fact. Even if it were changed, then why was it changed to accommodate and not changed to ban?

"Why would people want to debate about things such as MLP. It didn't resolve anything nor does it have an effect on the general public because most will not bother to see it."

People do what they want to do. If you really want to know, ask them. I cannot speak for them, as these courses of actions are personal. Some possible reasons are that they just simply feel like it, or (like I said before) they would want to defend the prejudice of being deemed a homosexual for liking MLP.

Call them unsatisfactory responses, but you would fare no better if I were to question all your quirks and choices you make.

Like: Why would you tilt your head 12 degrees to your left when you run?

"Debating about unimportant subjects is just waste of time."

Some people consider debating fun. Take Imabench for example. He has a lot of fun debates, and he is considered one of the best on this site. Or what about the drawing debates? Rap Battles? Call it a waste a time if you want, but make sure you don't become a hypocrite* in doing so.

*in this case, it means doing anything that is a waste of time.

"Also, how many poets do you know?How do you know that the poet might have done an unintentional idea that high school students need to ascertain?"

That was just an example. For example, if I said "For example, Steve Jobs used toilet water as stress relief.", I don't have to even know Steve Jobs to say that.

Also, you don't seem to grasp on to any concept of what an example is. An example can be anything logical and fitting, whether it be an actual account, a possible account, or even a fantasy. (Aesop's fables were fantasy, and can be used as excellent examples)

"If the creators of the website didn't put to have intellectual debates, then it could have been implied, or they wouldn't have posted a quote on the home page of own website."

Keyword: Could. It could not have been implied. It could have been a secret message in a different language meaning the English equivalent of "Bamboo"
jennifer4861rivera

Pro

jennifer4861rivera forfeited this round.
DeeAnn

Con

Vote pro :-)
Posted by DeeAnn 3 years ago
DeeAnn
Crap I mean con -_- Nooooooooo
Posted by DeeAnn 3 years ago
DeeAnn
Jeez I need to proofread my arguments. Some of the word choices aren't the best.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
I was going to accept this debate, but it seems I can't debate with the same person at the same time.
I understand the reason tho..
Vote Placed by macaztec 3 years ago
macaztec
jennifer4861riveraDeeAnnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not make any valid points, Con refuted those that were attempted.
Vote Placed by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
jennifer4861riveraDeeAnnTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
jennifer4861riveraDeeAnnTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit