JFCODY
Cheetah

Debating while being 100% sure or your point is useless.

Cheetah

JFCODY

Pro

Debates as I see them are just people trying to either prove their point or bashing the opponent without thinking one second that they might be wrong. If you are facing someone that will not reconsider his point, there is no reason to debate with him, that would be a waste of time. A debate should be used for better understanding of both sides, not trying to make your point king. I mostly despice debating about religion, as most that I got was people assuming things and you could see that they would never change their mind over anything. I would like someone to prove me wrong.
Cheetah

Con

Hi, JFCody, oftentimes I find myself asking the same question, this will be a good opportunity to review this question.

(1) Definitions

By definition, a debate is a deliberate argument on opposing points, or different viewpoints. This is comparable with a battle but only a battle of evidence and rhetoric, thus a debate does not always mean that there are a definite winner like a game of rock, paper, and scissors, it hardly ever is. In a debate, you must hold your ground whether you think you are wrong or not, at my school, I am told to argue for the Gulf war, which I disagree with, for a teacher-student debate. However, unlike a sports competition, no winner is chosen by the judge, but the audience chooses the debate side in which they prefer. Debate is heavy on rhetoric, the better your argument pleases the audience, the more likely they will prefer your argument and become convinced. In other words you are not convincing the debater, you are goal should be to convince the reader.

(2) Presidential Election Debate

Presidential candidates will obviously not abandon their stance and you will never hear one say, “you know what? You’re right, I should cancel this policy,” on a presidential debate unless pigs can suddenly fly and fish can drown. Presidential debates are there to help the voters decide who they should vote for, it is basically an indicator of what grounds each candidate.

(3) Difference Between: Debate, Argument, and Discussion

To summarize, a debate is to convince the audience using rhetoric, an argument is plain ranting between two people with no specific audience to convince but rather to defend their opinion or build their ego, a discussion is a peaceful talk, this is done to clarify, like you said, and convince which idea is better, discussions are done in business meetings to improve their company or other similar purposes. This topic is an example of a discussion and should really be posted on the forums. These terms are used interchangeably in society but there are definitions that distinguish them from each other.

JFCODY

Pro

JFCODY forfeited this round.
Cheetah

Con

I will post when JFCody is back.
JFCODY

Pro

JFCODY forfeited this round.
Cheetah

Con

Thank you. This has been an intense debate!
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
JFCODYCheetahTied
Reasons for voting decision: Finish what you start.