jennifer4861rivera
ArcTImes

Debating

ArcTImes

jennifer4861rivera

Pro

Debate.org is unfair on voting, and debating privileges when it comes to new comers. We shouldn't be forced to make 3 debates before debating others and voting. Debate.com does not know us and our views.
ArcTImes

Con

I disagree with the resolution.

Rebuttal:

"We shouldn't be forced to make 3 debates before debating others..."

DDO doesn't force you to debate 3 times so you can debate.
This actually doesn't make sense. How are you going to debate others if you need to debate 3 times first?

"...and voting"

This is also false. DDO has reasons to do this. They need to ensure that everyone is using just one account. Asking for 3 debates is just one way, but you don't need to do it. You can give your cell phone or contact support if your country is not listed.

"Debate.com does not know us and our views."

This is irrelevant to the resolution. As a new comer, there is little DDO can do to know your views. But there is an option. DDO has a forum.

In conclusion you should not be feel forced to debate. The main point of this site is to debate so you should be debating anyway.

Thanks. Vote CON.
jennifer4861rivera

Pro

Debate Voting Privileges

In order to vote, we currently require two steps. These steps, although annoying, are in place to protect the integrity of the debates by ensuring that only confirmed, unique accounts have voting privileges.

1Confirm Your Identity
Your Status: COMPLETE

2Complete Three Debates
Your Status: INCOMPLETE"

This is the message I have received as a new comer. DDO requires us to debate 3 times before we are allowed to vote as well as confirm my identity. If they already confirmed my identity, why do I have to debate 3 times before I can vote? I shouldn't have to complete both if my identity has already been confirmed.
Therefore, DDO is unfair towards new comers when is comes to voting.
ArcTImes

Con

"This is the message I have received as a new comer. DDO requires us to debate 3 times before we are allowed to vote as well as confirm my identity."

This is not true and my point still remains.

From the FAQ:

"If you do not have a cell phone, you can request to have your account manually confirmed for debate voting. You will be required to complete 3 debates before voting privileges can be granted. Learn how to do so here." [1]

So actually you only need to do one of those.

" If they already confirmed my identity, why do I have to debate 3 times before I can vote?"

From the FAQ:

"We require members to complete 3 debates prior to being granted voting access because it ensures that all voters have some relevant debate experience. In addition, it helps protect the integrity of debate voting by ensuring only legitimate accounts have voting privileges." [1]

Considering that the identification by cell phone is not necessary and the 3 debates rule has its reasons, it is justified. It is not unfair because voting doesn't give members any kind of advantage. Remember that you can't vote on your own debates, even after the 3 debates.

1. http://www.debate.org...#
jennifer4861rivera

Pro

Maybe that was true in the past, but that was what I have recieved and you said it too: ". You will be required to complete 3 debates before voting privileges can be granted"
It clearly states that you can confirm your identity manually, but debating 3 times is still required.
Also, what integrity is there to vote if there are subjects such as mlp is for homos.
Also, now that you brought up that point, that's unfair as well.
School presidential candidates also have to bring up their points before people vote for them, they can even vote for themselves and otheir opponents if they choose.
ArcTImes

Con

"Maybe that was true in the past, but that was what I have received and you said it too"

I admit I made a mistake, but that doesn't change the points I made. At the end you only need the 3 debates and it is not unfair.

Unfair: not fair; not conforming to approved standards, as of justice, honesty, or ethics. [1]

There are no reasons that would make the system unfair.

"what integrity is there to vote if there are subjects such as mlp is for homos."

This is irrelevant to the resolution

"now that you brought up that point, that's unfair as well.
School presidential candidates also have to bring up their points before people vote for them, they can even vote for themselves and otheir opponents if they choose."

This doesn't make DDO system unfair. If you think your opponent won or had better arguments, you only need to concede or forfeit. The voters will vote properly.

The DDO system is not unfair. It actually makes DDO fair because it encourage people to have only one account. Each vote should be the decision of one person only.

Thanks for the debate. Vote for CON.

1. http://dictionary.reference.com...
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
ArcTImes
nonprophet didn't understand the resolution.
Actually he believes the completely different.
You believe people should not vote, and that setting the votes for max elo only is temporary solution.
Pro believes newcomers should be able to vote.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
Make another one of these debates and I will gladly accept.
Posted by jennifer4861rivera 2 years ago
jennifer4861rivera
That's cool, thanks for the info. :)
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
I agree the voting system sucks. I just debate for fun. If you set the voting for people with the maximum ELO only, you can debate and not worry about votes.
jennifer4861rivera
Thanks, you too
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
ArcTImes
Good luck
Vote Placed by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
jennifer4861riveraArcTImesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments seemed almost irrational. Con caught Pro's mistake with word choice ("unfair") and that alone pretty much won the debate.