thetallest1
Beginner

Deep water oil drilling, Kimo vs. Pono

thetallest1

Con

I am totally against deep water drilling after the incident in the gulf of mexico. It took a while to clean up and it killed to much sea life
Beginner

Pro

My side: Deep water drilling, although exhibiting certain risky characteristics, is more beneficial than not. I will establish my case in proceeding rounds.
My opponent has the burden of proof. He must prove with logical and/or data evidence that deep water drilling is wrong. I accept this debate.
thetallest1

Con

Good because some of the damage done is unfixable. By the way idk how to change the gender on my profile. Im just gonna change my icon
Beginner

Pro

So what if some of the damage done is unfix-able? This does not prove deep water drilling to be bad. How is extracting oil bad? Obviously, you would also be an anti-nuclear power proponent because nuclear power functions on much the same level. Nuclear power plants could cause huge damage (e.g: chernobyl), but we still use it because it is clean, EFFICIENT, and necessary.
I will give my opponent one more round to give logical and/or data support to her statement against deep water drilling before I post my arguments. If she does not provide this, I will post anyway.
thetallest1

Con

Ok before you respond again, think, we have this one planet to live on, we are contributing to global warming, even though I personally believe part of the issue is the earth is going through another cycle, and if we screw up this planet we cant just hit a reset button like in a video game and expect everything to be ok. So what Beginner seems to be saying is he drives a gas guzzling vehicle and could give a damn if he kills innocent life forms. I am also against nuclear anything because of the fumes and because almost anything associated with nuclear is going to cause plenty of irreversible damage.
http://waterdefense.org... go to this website and read both the deep water drilling and the nuclear articles.
Beginner

Pro

Part of the issue? Global warming patterns are more directly correlated to the sun patterns than with CO2 emissions.

"So what Beginner seems to be saying is he drives a gas guzzling vehicle and could give a damn if he kills innocent life forms."
My opponent seems to think that gas is ONLY used in vehicles.
The oil extracted is a very precious and much needed commodity. Oil runs everything. The clothes you wear, the food you eat, the car you drive, the housewares...all the items in this link: http://www.anwr.org... and much more. Almost everything requires oil. The world is now in a state that it cannot run without oil.
By giving up oil, you are agreeing that we should give up the production of nearly everything in the world. We should stop producing housing, ventilation, commodities (such as clothing, toothbrush), etc.
You are saying we should give up running water (because the engines running such pumps are, guess what? OIL-facilitated) and nearly all common necessities you probably don't even think about.
By denouncing nuclear energy, my opponent has also agreed to alternative forms of energy. Since we do not have anything close to a sufficient amount of supplies (economically and literally) to produce enough 'clean' alternative energy, we would be relying on the burning of fossil fuels (the old method) which is much more accessible/practical to mass produce.
The irony is that we use nuclear energy because its proponents want cleaner energy. They are against using oil/burning fossil fuels so they support using nuclear energy. This is because nuclear energy is very clean and does not harm the environment when contained.
If my opponent is against oil-energy, than the only other practical option is nuclear and vice versa. Other options such as wind and solar are expensive and hard-to-make products. The production of such clean energy alternatives will not cover our energy consumption rate. We consume millions of barrels per day even with nuclear energy:
http://www.accuval.net...
thetallest1

Con

im just going to say im anly doing this because im trying to proove a point just like everbody else, but i can go on forever because one i love to do this kind of stuff and two because i am extremly stubborn.

I do realize gas is used i many more things than just cars but the fat that there is so mny cars nowadays is a big part of the issue at hand and just by you saying that the world is at a state where t can not run without oil is just proving my point further. The world has become so greedy and is taking too much for granted. Few would actually be able to survive it seems without oil. For example me, i dont drive and i have a green thumb, and i could survive without most electronics.

I dont have any sources for this beacus this is my personal opinion.
Beginner

Pro

" the world is at a state where t can not run without oil is just proving my point further. The world has become so greedy and is taking too much for granted."
Meaning oil drilling is absolutely necessary and is not wrong. According to you, what is truly wrong is human society, but NOT human conduct itself. This does not prove that oil drilling, the conduct, is wrong. Your point is not proven.
I gave you an edge by digressing, but you digressed with me. . .sad
Point standing: Deep water oil drilling is a process that is not wrong.

"I dont have any sources for this beacus this is my personal opinion."
Coolios! Concession! Grammar! Free points! Yay!