TheAlmightyBob
Anti-atheist

Defense Budget Reduction

TheAlmightyBob

TheAlmightyBob

Pro

I think that the amount that we currently spend towards defense is absolutely ridiculous when you compare it to our other programs. From my current understanding we are number one in military spending and if you were to combine 2-7 we would still beat them. While on other things like education we are 14th in reading, 17th in science, and 25th in math, and who knows it could have dropped since I last checked. While many colleges and universities are high ranking the reason why is because they are not apart of the government and are privatized. As far as social progress is concerned we are sixth, Canada is rated fourth! All jokes aside Canada actually tries when it comes to social progress. Granted there are some less flattering reports such as the U.S. tying with Ireland at 35 or 36th.

Now here comes the fun part, the breakdown of the U.S. defense budget. FBI counter terrorism spent about $2.9 billion, Homeland Security spent $46.9 billion, DOD spent about $707.5 billion, and interest incurred from past wars ends up to be about $109-$431 billion. Quite a bit if you were to compare it to yourself.
While on the other hand you have things like Science, Space, and Technology combined together and just being $31 billion, Energy $23 billion, Community and Regional development $32 billion. While education is just $68 billion, something kind of feel off to you?

When we are spending more on surveillance of domestic and foreign bodies, and the production and maintenance of wars in lands that hold no threat towards us. Here is something wrong here. A great example would be our military bases in Germany, do you really think that we still need to occupy Germany? Do you think that there will be a revolt in Hitlers name? What about Japan? Where our military is looked down upon for many unlawful acts? What acts you might ask, things like rape and murder would be an example. Then after the public outcry they would hide behind the walls of their base.

I am not saying though we should completely remove the military, I think that in many areas we should make a graceful exit and then reduce the size. Yet we should be able in times of stress bulk up our military, for the protection of ourselves and potentially our allies.
Anti-atheist

Con

do u think HITLER could get towhere he was because he cut his budget and dressed like PETER PAN,? NO WAy HOSEAY! we should follow hitler as an exanple of what 2 do. Hitler was the coast with the moast

TEACH THE CONTRAVERSY PRAISE DA LORD

freestyle
Posted by TheAlmightyBob 4 years ago
TheAlmightyBob
@Juris, thank you for the constructive criticism. I was honestly kind of afraid that this would be a bit too long.
Posted by Juris_Naturalis 4 years ago
Juris_Naturalis
Yeah, we kinda do need those bases in germany, we have alot of medical facilities there that we just can't put in the middle east. Honestly you should have made this debate, way longer.
Vote Placed by Nyx999 4 years ago
Nyx999
TheAlmightyBobAnti-atheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: So, I was reading Pro's argument and I was smiling and nodding, and stuff, and then I got to Con's argument and I just flinched.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
TheAlmightyBobAnti-atheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: If there is any real need for a RFD, anyone and PM me. Allow me to also use this to welcome TAB to the site.
Vote Placed by Fictional_Truths1 4 years ago
Fictional_Truths1
TheAlmightyBobAnti-atheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't do troll debates. I'll do joke debates like imabenches, but I hate trolls.