ArtMikullovci
Ajabi

Defining of metaphysics

ArtMikullovci

ArtMikullovci

Pro

This debate should define your conception of metaphysics, based on known philosophers.

It is important to have your point of view, for each of your arguments.

Rules :

3 Rounds

24 hours to reply

10.000 characters

Thanks to anyone that accepts the challenge, I will be looking forward!
Ajabi

Con

I accept this debate, I shall be providing an alternate definition of metaphysics from my opponent.
ArtMikullovci

Pro

• C1 - Plato's metaphysics and infulences for his metaphysics

Three predecessors heavily infulenced Plato's thoughts on metaphysics and epistemology. Heraclitus, Parmenides and Socrates.

Heraclitus
is the apostle of change, he believed the ordinary obects of the physical world seem to be continually changing.

Parmenides argued that there is and could be only one "being", nothing can change and also reality is static.

Socrates was interested in ethics. He used both epistemological and metaphysical theses in search of answers to his ethical questions.

I will put a thought of mine. As they influenced Plato's view on metaphysics, you should notice that they had contradictory views. But Socrate is the one who infulenced mostly Plato's view on metaphysics. And most of the theories of Plato's metaphysics are based on Socrate's point of view.

• Plato's metaphysics

Platos writings are divided into three periods. His early "Socratic peroid", and the important period for Platos metaphysics is the "middle period".
In the middle period, for the first time we find remarks about the immortality of the soul, about special entities called "Forms" that exist outside of space and time that are both the objects of knowledge and somehow the cause of whatever transpires in the physical world, and the doctrine of recollection.
Universal is a technical notion is metaphysics. A universal is that which is predicable of many (a feature they share), and in Plato's terms known as a Form.

The phaedo's metaphysics is Plato's eulogy to Socrates. Plato wants to convince us that we should care about our soul and the proper way is living philosophyically. We find arguments whose aim to prove the immortality of the sould, at least three of these arguments, the argument from recollection and its pre-lude, the Affinity argument, the final argument and its pre-lude, are crucial for understanding Plato's inital thoughts on metaphysics and epistemology.
Being and Part-taking tie together the various subjects and properties mentioned in his metaphysical discussion.

• C2 - My thoughts and arguments of Plato's metaphysical views and perceptions

It is simple to explain how Plato used to think about metaphysics. The form he has mentioned, is un-changeable, which means it is static. So the "form" on Plato's metaphysics, is actually the point of view of Parmenides, i.e "Beautiful is the form and it is un-changeable. Nature is Beautiful, Plato explains that "nature" is only the part-taking of Form."
So the form doesn't change, it is static. But the part-taking is the heraclitus view, "the apostle of change". Plato used to believe that the part-taking is continually changing, while the form is static. The starting point for the study of Plato's metaphysics, is the Socratic dialogues and Socrate. Plato on his work "Phaedo" is trying to convince us about our soul, so it is obviously an infulenced thought of Platos from Socrates.
Heraclitus, Parmenides and Socrates Influenced the plato's thoughts on metaphysics. I explained how each Platos metaphysical bases are influenced of the three of his predecessors.

Looking forward to your reply. This round, you choose your philosopher, inform us and then argue his point of views.
Thank you!

Ajabi

Con

Ajabi forfeited this round.
ArtMikullovci

Pro

I will forfeit my round as-well.
Ajabi

Con

I cannot write anything in the last round. Eh, I concede.
Posted by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
Well extend nowand Ill post my argument in my morning. My bad.
Posted by ArtMikullovci 2 years ago
ArtMikullovci
Yes, I wrote it on the rules, it was so obvious. How you missed it?
Posted by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
Damn it the time was 24 hours?!?!?!?!?!
Posted by ArtMikullovci 2 years ago
ArtMikullovci
I apologize for my reference unawareness. The C1 is a whole text from standford.edu except the part of "I will put a thought of mine". And C2 is my point of view. Sorry again!
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
ArtMikullovciAjabiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
ArtMikullovciAjabiTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, Note to Pro, please provide a clear resolution in future, as the criteria for winning is ambiguous.