lord_megatron
BobTheRocket2

Deist (pro) vs theist (con)

BobTheRocket2 has forfeited round #2.

lord_megatron

Pro

This time, rather than atheism we'll be debating about theism vs deism.
deist- a person who believes God doesn't exercise control over his universe
theist- a person who believes in 3 omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God. (all powerful, knowing and controlling)

Begin your arguments in round 1.

I think deism is more rational than theism as we have free will I don't see God exercising full control over the universe. For ex. No government officer will ever resign for putting a more capable person in place.
BobTheRocket2

Con

The idea of an observer is wrong. That would fail to explain where he came from. However the Bible, a creationist source, does provide his background.
lord_megatron

Pro

How does that pertain to the debate? Providing a background to a God doesn't mean its better than a backgroundless God. That way any profile on linkedin is better than me on debate.org.
Furthermore, the Bible is a source of Christian propaganda and what it says is true only if you consider it to be true.
Another point to mention is that if we think God needs to be 'created', then we will be left with an infinite table of God, Godfather, God Grandfather, God Great Grandfather and so on.

Deism is better than theism because-
1. It falls in parallel with free will, and we have free will.
2. It accounts for lack of evidence for God, because he is an observer in another area/realm/universe/world.
3. It also explains why God doesn't stop evil and misfortunes happening on Earth.

Plausible reasons to what made God an observer-
1. Creating life on Earth drained his power (not omnipotent, this isn't theism) and he needs eons to recover.
2. Creating the Big Bang drained his power.
3. He has created multiverses and is seeing how would the world progress with various altered factors, in our world the absence of his tangible influence.
Posted by madness 10 months ago
madness
Boys, looks like we found ourselves a live one.
Posted by lord_megatron 10 months ago
lord_megatron
What would I expect to believe in a theistic God?
1. Meet with him and having a good long 2 way chat. (omnipresent)
2. All nukes and nuclear weapon production facilities destroyed all of a sudden. (omnipotent)
3. Know the debate.org password of everyone without seeing the database/any other document. (omniscient)

Any other similar but on the same scale scenarios would convince me of theism.
Posted by kwagga_la 10 months ago
kwagga_la
A Theist believes in ONE omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient God. Some believe this one God exist as 3 distinct persons and others believe in one God who is only one person.

What would you expect to see to be convinced that a Theistic God is in control?
Posted by lord_megatron 10 months ago
lord_megatron
deism vs theism should cover all the aspects, including which is more beneficial and more effective
Posted by SkySky16 10 months ago
SkySky16
There is literally no proof on either side, what should've been the question is which is more beneficial.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 10 months ago
CosmoJarvis
I'm an atheist but deism > theism
Posted by Capitalistslave 10 months ago
Capitalistslave
I think most atheists see deism as a more rational position to hold than regular theism. I know I do as well.

And often times, people do argue in favor of a topic they do not support. I once argued against anthropogenic climate change, even though I lean towards believing in it.
Posted by TheMarketLibertarian 10 months ago
TheMarketLibertarian
but you're an atheist.