kjmg13
judeifeanyi

Democracy & Gerrymandering

judeifeanyi

kjmg13

Con

America is a republic which has representatives who are democratically elected to represent the people of their geographical region. However, because politicians use gerrymandering, voting results do not always represent the majority of people in a region and make a "community of common intrest."(Washington Redistricting Video) This has a negative impact on our democracy politicians have a bigger influence on who gets elected and which legislation gets passed.
Gerrymandering is used by politicians to benefit the political party in power. The people in power, who are in charge of drawing voting areas, could be in the minority. The minority are afraid they will be out-voted. They change the districts to split the number of people who have an opposing opinion. Politicians use it to manipulate the votes so they can win what they want. According the Long Island Minority Video, gerrymandering "makes it hard for minorities to speak with one voice."
While the party in power likes gerrymandering, it is judged negatively by the opposing viewpoint or political party. Because the voting districts are split up, the election results do not truly represent the people who live in a community. It is unfair to the people who are not in power because their opinions are not represented. It has the effect of having a one-party rule by silencing different opinions.
In the long run, gerrymandering hurts both political parties. No one party is in power all the time. When the opposition gets elected, they can turn around and use gerrymandering for what they want. It makes all politicians look like crooks. Gerrymandering serves the politicians" interests and not the people"s.
judeifeanyi

Pro

I accept the challenge. But I disagree with your opinion on this motion.
Definiton: DEMOCRACY.1. A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives
2. A state governed in such a way
WikipediaDictionary.com
Answers.comMerriam-Webster.
GERRYMANDERING:1. Manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favor one party or class
2. Achieve (a result) by such manipulation. Based on this definition, I will say that my opponent's view is faulty. His logic failed upon when he said that american politicians influence election because he didnt give any source. America as the world power, is a democratic state with law makers and electoral bodies that crown the events of election during election period. So my opponent laying that fallacy, it is awkward.
kjmg13

Con

kjmg13 forfeited this round.
judeifeanyi

Pro

I await my opponents return
kjmg13

Con

kjmg13 forfeited this round.
judeifeanyi

Pro

I see on reason why my adversary will keep forfeiting the debate rounds. I still maintain my stand. America is the world power and such cannot be found in it.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
kjmg13judeifeanyiTied
Vote Placed by codemeister13 2 years ago
codemeister13
kjmg13judeifeanyiTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by Con.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
kjmg13judeifeanyiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff